Vectron Synth

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jhulk

Re: Vectron Synth

Post by jhulk »

the only hard sync module i know of is the flexer3 module

i was also looking at adding pwm waveshapers to the wave osc for single cycle waves

so that they have pwm type effects and hard sync as well would be good

but they are better for single cycle waves than for actual sampled sounds

we could do it with just 2 osc and have 2 sample transient osc bit like the sy22/33/35

and have 2 joystic controlers 1 for volume vector mixing and 1 for pitch vectore modulation

you get some nice weird and ghostly type sounds from pitch vector mixing
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I swapped out the floppy drive (a sony) from another ASR10 (panasonic) but it didn't even spin up. Not sure if there are jumpers on the motherboard associated with the floppy drive? It has expanded RAM also, but I get occasional RAM errors on boot.

Since the Sony spun up but wouldn't load, I'm taking the sony floppy apart for cleaning, otherwise I'll get a new one. Do you have a list of panasonic models that would work? I can't find the sony 420 around (other than used ones on ebay for $80).
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I just started using "sonic attack" again. (works fine on scope 5/xite)
the osc syncs by default. so its good for bass.

i wish i had made a on off button for it but that what u get for now.

sync from windows midi is never great, i run all midi and clock to the external input of xite. much better than "midi driver+many errors" cubase>sync lock2>cirklon>back to xite. tight as a "computer only" but with working properly scope MIDI timed stuff and analogue!

once you get the MIDI in to the scope card or xite, it is very fast and tight.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

the asr10 has it got scsi if it has fit a slim floppy drive with a slim floppy convertor and a cf scsi card slot drive

is it a rack or keyboard thar you have

the drive needs ds0 and ry signal to be jumpered any drive with jumpers that can be set will work

cant use pc drives they wont work

if your getting ram errors its the wrong type of ram or your 2 sticks are not matched

they are done in pairs for 16bit operation as they are 8bit 30pin simms so you use 2 4mb paired simms

all memory in samplers are 8bits thats why the words are always half of what you have in the sampler
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i use midi from my atari as master clock for midi as the usb midi devices are slow

and my port midi devices dont work on xp and the cubase midi devices dont work in win7 the midex 8 is great but win7 it wont work

all midi units run from the atari the vsti stuff run from my pc in cubase which is synced to the atari midi clock

the internal midi is much faster than the usb midi devices

i triger the scope plugs with the atari and use scope just like hardware modules as the timing is tight
i have 80 midi channels from the atarti

the onboard midi is used for the midi timings as thats the best and also for the drums as they suffer most from timing issues

i use the pc cubase software for all midi control of the vsti so the midi network dont get over run by controller messages

and i keep sysex to just patch duties and programming of patches when not sequencing

and its all digitally synced aswell as the scope is the master clock for the digital audio my 2 scope machines 1 win98 and xp and my winxp machines

are linked to an o2r yam mixer via adats and there inputs are to the o2r aswell the winxp machine that runs all my vsti only has a 1820m emu dsp card and its adat pipes go to the o2r mixer aswell i have a mackie 32 8 desk and a 32/4/2 rack summing mixer for all my hardware synths and samplers and the 8 subs go to the o2r

and its rock solid

i can record from the 3 comps any time

i have also a old mac running sountools dspcard and sounddesigner2 software editor connected to my Eii and emax1 this was the first digidesign audiocard and it has an external adc dac board which records max of 44.1 but its a great sounding dac for samplers this is a real peice of history card before protools was invented it only did stereo recording and was used for redbook cd audio but its great for the EII and was one of the reasons why the EII library sounded so good and it made it a breeze to translate samples to other samplers as it was done in rs422 interface or midi dump or smdi there was no need for translator software like is needed today i still use this systom so much as i do pcm samples for the korgdss1 and dsm1 and korg tseries synths and emax and im still using the EII as the sound is so nice there something about the 8bit compression to 12bit output that makes it sound so sweet

i have 5 comp screens

but the 2 scope systems are just for sounds and final mixing duties bounced down to the o2r

the reason i have the win98 machine is its used for doing floppy stuff as xp lost the abiltiy to do stuff in dos and theres lots of good dos stuff for midi sysex and other low level computer software that wont work on the

i love the atari as thats what i started with and a 8track tape i still use it the same way but the scope systems are my tape machine now using vdat
as its so easy to work with

and my hardware synths most i work just poly and not multi timbral as they sound better that way and only need 1 channel of midi

it means i can use full sample memory for 1 patch if i want to to have another sound i place it on another sampler and multilayer that way leaving full poly for the patch so no note steeling acures

and it makes it easy to keep note of what machine is doing what

a lot people including the wife says im mad for having multipul items of the same samplers and synths but it makes it easier for doing big fat sound with them slightly detuned with the same patch makes them so fat

ask jimmy v he has some of my spectra samples that were created this way
dante

Post by dante »

jhulk wrote:and my port midi the midex 8 is great but win7 it wont work
jhulk did you try the driver update here :

http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/uns ... dex_8.html
jhulk wrote:i use midi from my atari as master clock for midi as the usb midi devices are slow i love the atari as thats what i started with and a 8track tape i still use it the same way
I used Atari 1050 w/ 'Final Cut' sequencer, hooked to a Yamaha YMC10 MIDI to FSK box to Tascam 1/2" 8 track. Was great.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i use winxp cant stand seven alright for win98 progs but crap for xp

and 64bit is a waste of time

i will wait several years until they get it working properly before i even delve

windows 10 any one