SCOPE 5.1 + XTC backwards compatibility

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Hattrixx

SCOPE 5.1 + XTC backwards compatibility

Post by Hattrixx »

Hi guys :)

I've been waiting for a while for the 64 bit support before upgrading my OS, but am I right in thinking that if I install SCOPE 5.1 then I won't be able to open any of my existing XTC mode projects? Certainly not having a moan or anything - I'd just like to be clear before I buy the upgrade.

Thanks in advance

Owen...
garyb

Re: SCOPE 5.1 + XTC backwards compatibility

Post by garyb »

no, i don't believe that xtc mode works in 64bit, at least in all sequencers. i could be wrong but rewire and several other similar protocols are also spotty in 64bit.
Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx »

Thanks Gary

So, er... Any ideas on what I can do with old projects? Am I right in thinking I can still access all of the same plug-ins from within my sequencer in a similar fashion, without SFP running? If so, might there be a way of saving presets in XTC mode and then rebuilding them under the new environment?

Sorry for all the questions, I have scoured the forums and Sonic Core's website but it's still all a little unclear.

:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

Scope mode will NOT allow you to open Scope devices within the sequencer.
AFAIK, the problem with XTC mode in 64bit is the implimentation of 64bit in sequencers. most are a kludge of 32 and 64bit. this keeps things like rewire from working too, for the same reason. SOME sequencers may work.

if XTC mode is a MUST, then i think the only choice is two machines or a dual boot. sorry...

why do you need 64bit anyway? do you REALLY need the extra ram?, most don't, but some do....
dawman

Post by dawman »

FWIW, I could have stayed w/ Windows 7 32bit and NCW based samples now that I have batch converted the libaries that the developers haven't re worked.
64bit is nice for really large RAM pallettes and sampling, but I should have waited until this summer after the catch up.
I really hate trying to open up a tutoral video or pdf or even an mp3 in x64.
I have to go and get new versions where many are BETA and still don't work.
Serious M$ scam IMHO............
Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx »

garyb wrote:Scope mode will NOT allow you to open Scope devices within the sequencer.
AFAIK, the problem with XTC mode in 64bit is the implimentation of 64bit in sequencers..
Hold on... maybe I haven't been clear. I intend to run Cubase x32 sequencer in Windows 7 x64. Can I do that? I don't mind if I can't run XTC in Cubase x64, because my only concern is with open old projects. I can live without XTC mode for x64 projects.
if XTC mode is a MUST, then i think the only choice is two machines or a dual boot. sorry...
I'd have configured a dual boot system a long time ago but SCOPE and especially XTC mode are very fussy about file paths. The time before last I upgraded, when I opened old projects using XTC plug-ins, they would load up in an initialised state and I'd get a message about a SCOPE preset file missing. Last time I had horrible troubles changing the drive letter of my Windows installation just so that I could get those old projects working. Lots of OUCH and frustrated clients.
why do you need 64bit anyway? do you REALLY need the extra ram?, most don't, but some do....
Yeah, I've resisted as long as possible but I keep running out of RAM and when I do things get hectic and projects get corrupted. Again, lots of OUCH and frustrated clients. Haha! I think it's because I have so many RAM-intensive plug-ins and I run hundreds of tracks in busier projects. I bought some of that East West Quantum Leap stuff and I can barely use it. I end up creating new projects, then importing the audio. It's long and tedious and my clients don't like it. My CPU meters rarely go past 50%, so RAM's my bottle neck.

Thanks again for your help.
garyb

Post by garyb »

afaik, opening a project that was done in 32bit on a 64bit system works just fine.

yes, it looks like you need 64bit if you're running out of memory, although recording or freezing vstis that have been fleshed out and arranged already saves a lot of resources.
Hattrixx

Post by Hattrixx »

garyb wrote:afaik, opening a project that was done in 32bit on a 64bit system works just fine.
Yes, but will my XTC stuff work?
yes, it looks like you need 64bit if you're running out of memory, although recording or freezing vstis that have been fleshed out and arranged already saves a lot of resources.
Yeah, I've been doing A LOT of recording stuff to audio. Doesn't help that the XTC plug-ins won't export non-realtime. :lol:

Thanks again Gary. You're a very patient man. Respect!
garyb

Post by garyb »

the xtc stuff just might work....
i'm not an xtc user. anyone else?
starcorp

Post by starcorp »

please read this tread:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29669

some informations about xtc mode.

jan
dawman

Post by dawman »

stardust wrote: The provided BIOS options to avoid modern power saving and multithreading features might improve scope compatibility while taking away all the advantages for state of the art native DAWs.
Just so anyone doesn't mistake opinion for fact, these options were provided by 2 different reputable DAW builders, Gamer GuRu's and Kontakt users. Even when using Standalone, you might notice the options to turn off Hyperhtreading written into the GUI.
So maybe your state of the art Native DAW is coded to use worker threads, but Reaper, Bidule, Omnisphere and Kontakt benefit from these settings.

Sorry you bought an XITE-1 and can't get XTC working, it's hard to imagine music being created while switching between apps., how awful that must be for your State Of The Art Recording Studio.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was referring to the " features lost in the State Of The Art DAW " comment that you mentioned as if you were stating fact.
I am not concerned with your vast knowledge of non working approaches of Scopes' use.
I feel bad you bought something based on unclear advertisements. But that's a seperate matter.

You seem to pride yourself as if you were an " authority " on the topic of tweaks, yet you offer an opinion, and an opinion many developers and DAW builders do not share.

If you read through various DAW sites I am quite sure you will read about Turbo Boost, and power saving features NOT helping out in a " State Of The Art DAW."

Feel free to keep us informed of all of your shortcomings with the XITE-1 though.
We need such balances, as the way you use pro products in a consumer enviroment are surely going to vary from what other users experience.
garyb

Post by garyb »

there's no loss of "state of the art" features from turning off power stepping on the cpu. indeed, performance is increased, as the cpu is no longer in a "throttled down" state most of the time.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Noting that most of the recommended BIOS tweaks were already done in my ADK laptop, I fired up Samplitude 64-bit beta with latest Scope driver in VSTim mode, and all ran perfectly!

Tomorrow I push it to see how many Scope inserts /reverbs can be plugged run and home many tracks I can run.

Nevertheless so far two instances of Omnisphere(64), one Kontakt 4(64), one Superior 2(64), ModIV, Atze, P5, etc. etc. without a hickup, crackles, BSOD's, or any other BS.

Greg
dawman

Post by dawman »

You're my hero Chief...
I have seen the failure of Sandy Bridge H6 series chips, and have also seen the overclocking game Intel is playing with their different chips.
So I don't want a Sandy Bridge laptop. It's the triple channel RAM i7 configuration I want.
Please keep us informed as I want an i7 laptop by years end when they come down a little more.
XITE-1's and an i7 laptop will ensure I can use the Native stuff I like.
I have tried to run a fast i5 with the dual channel DDR3 and the performance even OC'd at 3.4GHz is nowhere near as good as the triple channel DDR3/i7 @ 3.2GHz...
Glad you're up amd running.
Love to see some screens.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:You're my hero Chief...
I have seen the failure of Sandy Bridge H6 series chips, and have also seen the overclocking game Intel is playing with their different chips.
So I don't want a Sandy Bridge laptop. It's the triple channel RAM i7 configuration I want.
Please keep us informed as I want an i7 laptop by years end when they come down a little more.
XITE-1's and an i7 laptop will ensure I can use the Native stuff I like.
I have tried to run a fast i5 with the dual channel DDR3 and the performance even OC'd at 3.4GHz is nowhere near as good as the triple channel DDR3/i7 @ 3.2GHz...
Glad you're up amd running.
Love to see some screens.
I'd love to post some screenies, but alas, I can't show Samplitude 64-bit (yet). :roll: :o
Nevertheless, I'll try to post some in between an early Spring drive up to the hills and setting up my older PCI system :wink: .
The trick will be to test the inserts as track inserts vs. object inserts, since UAD plugs have a problem (for many obvious reasons) with object-based editing in Samplitude.

You COULD contact ADK and see if they have any of the slightly older laptop systems components still sitting around (for cheaper price now), since my current ADK is already over a year old and still cranking. They are probably still aware of Xite's PCIe requirement (from when I ordered mine)

The Sandy Bridge crap is a recent oopsie that only effects upper SATA channels (port 0 and 1 are apparently OK), AND most manufacturers were already aware of it (but Dell, HP, etc. all released scaled-back systems anyways since consumers don't use SATA anyways), and most have already made fixes.

Yeah, not sure when the hell I'd ever use all these tools, but nevertheless they are there at the ready.

Still MUCH prefer SFP mode, since it's much more flexible in many ways.

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
babaorum

Post by babaorum »

Has Someone tested XTC mode with cubase 5.5.2 (32 or 64) in windows 7 64 for PCI cards ?
Sonic Core Luna II + Pulsar II scope v5.1.2709-x64, Cubase 9.0.20 (64), Pro Tools 12.7, Wavelab element 9 (64), windows 8.1 pro (64), Asus P6T 18Go RAM core i7 920, SSL Duende Native - Lexicon PCM Reverb Bundle - Waves - Sonnox
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

XTC works in windows 7 64bit and 32bit Sequensers, and all plugins work fine.

BUT

XTC DOES NOT work in Windows 7 64bit with 64bit Sequensers or any other 64bit audio application as Synthogy Ivory II standalone 64bit. TOO BAD :(

ASIO4ALL works. :evil:
garyb

Post by garyb »

Scope asio works with 64bit sequencers. it works just fine.