i can use 64-bit software? with old cards? Creamware 15 DSP

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nunziata

i can use 64-bit software? with old cards? Creamware 15 DSP

Post by nunziata »

please ask me a details
thank
w_ellis

Re: i can use 64-bit software? with old cards? Creamware 15

Post by w_ellis »

There's a PCI beta 5.1 at ftp://scopebeta:scopebeta@sonic-core.net/ , so I'm assuming it's good to try out. The Xite-1 version is working fine so far.

Thanks,
Will
nunziata

Post by nunziata »

i don't have The Xite-1 , i have old chart scope 15 dsp z link
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Yeah, but that ftp link I posted has Xite-1 and old PCI card downloads, so you can try it out.

Thanks,
Will
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

is that only for 64 biters? Or is there some fixes/upgrades to the 5.0 32bit. that we'd be interested in. Anyone try this for 32bit yet?
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

It's 64bit only unfortunately. There is no estimated time for the 32bit version, which is I why I chose to move across to 64bit.
nunziata

Post by nunziata »

now no possible
pollux

Post by pollux »

nunziata wrote:now no possible
Yes, it's possible.
The link points to the 64 bit version for the old cards too.
Honestly, there is no advantage in 32 bit over 64 bit, other than sounding "cool" in front of your friends :P

Sì, è possibile.
I punti di collegamento alla versione a 64 bit anche per le vecchie carte.
Onestamente, non vi è alcun vantaggio a 32 bit su 64 bit, diversi da quelli suono "cool" davanti ai vostri amici
dante

Post by dante »

pollux wrote:Honestly, there is no advantage in 32 bit over 64 bit
...unless your running Scope with other 32 bit dependancies - e.g. MIDEX8, Rewire ..?
pollux

Post by pollux »

dante wrote:
...unless your running Scope with other 32 bit dependancies - e.g. MIDEX8, Rewire ..?

My bad.. I meant there is no real advantage in 64 bit over 32 bit :roll:
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

pollux wrote:
dante wrote:

My bad.. I meant there is no real advantage in 64 bit over 32 bit :roll:
Mmmm, Im reading Sts sampler can load much more memory, im wrong?
mano

Post by mano »

If you write a NATIVE 64 Bit application (which SCOPE 5.1 is), on a modern system (read ~i7, 8-12 GB RAM or more), it makes total sense. Scalability and performance goes up exponentially. Complex number calculation runs circles around 32 bit apps/systems. 32 bit systems/os/apps are not able to fully process large numbers over the course of multiple operations.

Plus we are not talking about something out of reach here... Go get a mid-priced machine, and it's 64 Bit already... It's where everyone is going. When you buy Windows 7, it comes with 2 discs (both versions)... It's not like it's more expensive to install the 64 Bit version... Windows 7 is also well optimized for 64, and not just for more RAM access - although my friend's 24 GB system is insane indeed.

So if you buy a new computer today (netbooks excluded), you are holding it back if you choose to put that 32 bit OS disc (and if you decide to keep using that old XP disc :) )

I hope this helps.
astroman

Post by astroman »

sorry mano, but the calculation argument is bare nonsense.
64bit in this context is strictly an adressing mode (for memory and memory mapped devices) it has nothing at all to do with increased numeric precision or more 'sophisticated calculations.
NOTHING - not one single bit :D
I have a 15 year old Triple Dat system on the shelf, which does 80bit calculations on it's plugins - and it was quite famous in it's days for outstanding audio quality. Imho the chorus even outperforms the (stock) Scope device...
So that's boring old stuff.

If you NEED the memory for your huge sample libs and/or tons of high quality video stuff - or maybe want to run an alternative to Google... Ok, THEN 64bit is your way to go.
For everyone else it's just a marketing hype and bullshit. That simple.

As already mentioned for 95% of Scope's processing you don't even need a 32bit adress range - it's kind of an embedded system which will FAIL due to complexity and control issues in a much smaller memory space.
'Inside' Scope 64 bit is a clear disadvantage as you have to shovel tons of empty bits for padding adresses you'll never reach.

64 bit is REQUIRED on the communication channels with the DAW environment (if that is 64bit) and that's about it.
In other words in the driver domain.
The Samplers are the only exception as they 'could' make use of more memory, but who (really) wants an Ueber Akai anyway ? ;) :D

cheers, Tom

of course I don't question full 64bit support will come because SC has to bow to marketing and it's just easier to follow the herd than to argue on facts... :lol:
lagoausente

Post by lagoausente »

astroman wrote:
The Samplers are the only exception as they 'could' make use of more memory, but who (really) wants an Ueber Akai anyway ? ;) :D
:lol:
Me maybe, there are many giga libraries that can be converted to Sts, I use some of them. Have to delete some layers to can use on Sts, 64 bit could avoid that.