V5 drivers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Shot

V5 drivers

Post by Shot »

I searched through here
and I can't believe noone mentioned...

THEY ARE STILL CHARGING US FOR THE NEW DRIVERS !!!

I have scope 4.0 and I feel confortable with the set of effect devices in it. My setup is Pulsar2 and Luna with two A16 converters and two more Swissonics. 40 in / 40 out setup with analog console to handle all the eq's and summing. I don't use scope devices a lot. But I do lots and lots of different wiring in scope for every project I do. And I do love scope system and wouldn't want to switch!

But I guess for them guys at SC me and many other customers like myself are of no particular value. Since we don't drool over the new set of effects in scope 5, and we're still keeping our 198 euros in our pocket - we don't deserve a new set of drivers for our card!

This is insane! You cant get a newer version of ASIO driver if you don't buy Scope 5 !!!

We don't even have a chance to try a new driver for a short demo period to see if it works better than the previous one to justify the 198 euro investment!!

We are supposed to want the new reverbs, comps and EQs - and if we buy those we get a bonus gift - new set of drivers!

It's like if you would have to buy a new car to get your drivers licence renewed!

It doesn't have any sense...
No logic at all...
I wonder what are their other business decisions like...

Sad sad sad...

:(

Luka
dante

Re: V5 drivers

Post by dante »

If your setup is working, why do you need new drivers ? If you're referring to 64bit, they're not released yet.
garyb

Post by garyb »

what are you complaining about? v5 is free if you have 4.5, not if you don't, period.

what makes you think that S|C is even required to support ANYTHING about the old cards? what makes you think S|C should do work for free just for you when you've never given them a dime? have you noticed that they haven't made a pci card for over a year? have you noticed that ANY other company that hasn't made a product for a year not only stops supporting the product completely, but tells you to buy the new product if you want to keep using their products? here S|C is still supporting the cards, and even bringing them into the 64bit world, where they can be used for another 10 years. do you REALLY think that programming gets done for free?

does Cubase give free upgrades, or Logic? if you don't want the new devices that they give you FOR FREE while they rewrite the whole program for v5, you can use v4 for many years to come. others here claim to have successfully installed v4 in win7 32bit, so you're good to go, if you're going to be so cheap. if you can't afford the upgrade, you're not a customer, anyway. that's a little harsh, but true.

it's just my opinion, but you really haven't considered your rant too carefully. you're just spewing emotion everywhere. what's the advantage of a new driver, anyway? the old one was almost perfect. if you stay in the same environment, you can keep making beautiful music! THAT'S what it's about, not just new for the sake of new. the reason you want v5 is that it loads a little better and sounds a teeeny bit better. there are also new devices, and it's ready for the new os, that's it. the real gains are in the change to the program, not the driver. the driver goes with the program. there's no need for the new driver with the old program.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

198 Euro is 39.6 Euro per year since V4 was released back in the Creamware days.

V5 upgrade seems very inexpensive to me when you amortize it out 5-10 years.
My 11 year old PulsarI is still in use. It's paid for itself many, many times over.

SC could've told all the old PCI card owners to go jump but they didn't.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
dante

Post by dante »

siriusbliss wrote: SC could've told all the old PCI card owners to go jump but they didn't.
Greg
And even if they do after 5.1 I'll still be running the cards till they burn out and supporting S|C coz of the value I've already got over the years....
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Shot wrote: It doesn't have any sense...
No logic at all...
I wonder what are their other business decisions like...

Sad sad sad...
:roll: Sad? Why? Because they'll lose 'customers' like you? That's no big loss to them because as you say you're keeping your tight fist round your money. That's hardly an incentive for them to develop is it? Sorry if that seems a bit harsh.
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
Shot

Post by Shot »

Ok, I see I've stired up thing here!

I'm not money greedy non-spender with tight fist around my wallet! I'm just a conservative guy who hesitates to upgrade from v4 to v5. And in the process of considering the upgrade, it stuck me that I don't have option to go just for new drivers.

I'm a conservative guy. I like to run my main studio computer as clean and tuned as possible. I don't install many programs, I don't allow clients tu plug their usb stick (there's another networked pc for that), I keep it as simple as possible. I couldn't afford to have unstable system when charging hour rates. Not that I'm saying that with scope 5 my system would become unstable - just that I'm that type of person that double thinks every upgrade.

My wish would be to be able tu still run well proven scope v4 but still have the latest asio driver. Just that. And yes I do think that drivers (and drivers only!) should be free. Even if they are relating to old product (creamware brand). In fact it may be old but it doesn't differ form re-branded Home and Project products. They are still very valuable and still sold around globe new. So it's basicaly a current product but in older box with old name. Just that I'm older user that has creamware brand not SC brand. So it's not like I'm legacy product user.

Since this hardware is my workhorse and I do make money using it, I wouldn't mind even paying for a new drivers! But I don't like to be forced to upgrade entire scope software just for that. I'm not saying that 198 euros is much - it's fair (or almost cheap) for effect devices supplied with it for those customers who use them! But it shouldn't be mandatory for those who'd like just the drivers.

To conclude this, I'll probably buy Scope 5 soon. Too bad I can't even demo it for a few days!

Don't be annoyed by me! I'm just different type of user and I'm giving you my perspective.

peace!
:)
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Hi there

I am not sure what problems you have with the ASIO driver, but if you use the original driver supplied with 4.0 and have problems with i.e. Cubase 4.1, download the patch from http://sonic-core.net/downloads/asiosco ... _patch.zip. It's free. It says its for 4.5 but i suspect it will work with 4.0.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

If you're conservative about your upgrades I assume you're not using a 64-bit computer. If so there is nothing to be gained by getting Scope 5 in terms of ASIO drivers - they already exist. If you are using a 64-bit computer then I can only assume Bill Gates gave it to you for free. Scope 4 is perfectly functional for 32-bit machines as it is, why do you need Scope 5?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Please forgive some of my mates, they haven't attended the free online Soniccore Sensitivity Classes they offer... :(
I attended them and they're subliminally designed to brainwash you into staying with the Scope platform.
I was nudged slightly, and then ended up buying everything they make......very effective.
OJ Simpson must have seen it, because for his first Furlough back into society he was flown to NAMM '09 to see the new developments and the State has purchased an XITE-1 w/ mic pre's for the Brotha's stranded in the State Of Nevada Correctional Center in Carson City.
Now for one hour a day new beatz from FLS and LIVE can be routed through Scope and the mic pre's are drenched with various plugs as the Beatz play throughout the facility.
OJ_XITE-1a.JPG
dante

Post by dante »

Shot wrote:
My wish would be to be able tu still run well proven scope v4 but still have the latest asio driver. Just that. And yes I do think that drivers (and drivers only!) should be free.

:)
I agree with you up to a point. If there is a reason for Scope 4 users to need the Scope 5 drivers then yes. But if S|C have to invest development man-hours into making those drivers backward ccmpatible for no gain to user then what's the point ?

Forgive my ignorance as I am still on XP 32 bit but lets say hypothetically if 5.0 drivers were needed to run Scope 4.0 system on say Win 7 32 bit then maybe S|C might have considered it worth the effort, but if there is already scenarios for Scope 4.0 users to run on Win 7 then why should they bother ?

So how about you outline your scenario and then we can argue the toss from there coz at the moment this whole debate might be a tad futile, from all sides.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Shot wrote: I'm not money greedy non-spender with tight fist around my wallet! I'm just a conservative guy who hesitates to upgrade from v4 to v5. And in the process of considering the upgrade, it stuck me that I don't have option to go just for new drivers...
I wouldn't hold my breath on the fact that SC developed new drivers for the old software.
What's new in those srivers will most likely be tied to stuff of the version 5 software.
Don't be annoyed by me! I'm just different type of user and I'm giving you my perspective.
peace! ...
well, I'm using developement software from a company which is comparable to SC in size, possibly slightly larger.
We pay an annual service and maintainance fee of 2k Euro.
That's my perspective... :D

cheers, Tom
pollux

Post by pollux »

AFAIK there is no difference in the drivers for win XP 32 (card and ASIO) between the V4 and V5
valis

Post by valis »

I think he's confused his Scope card for a simple card that only needs drivers. 32bit ASIO1/2 & ASIO64 are already working in v4 no? And the only change that was needed was specifically for Cubase 4.x, linked above in another post. So why demand specifically *only* a tiny portion of the v5 upgrade when presumably one has used Scope cards enough to know that the driver isn't an isolated thing like it is with other soundcards?
garyb

Post by garyb »

valis wrote:I think he's confused his Scope card for a simple card that only needs drivers. 32bit ASIO1/2 & ASIO64 are already working in v4 no? And the only change that was needed was specifically for Cubase 4.x, linked above in another post. So why demand specifically *only* a tiny portion of the v5 upgrade when presumably one has used Scope cards enough to know that the driver isn't an isolated thing like it is with other soundcards?

this is certainly true. sorry for being a little abrasive...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Just buy version 5, you will be glad you did.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

it depends on way of view.
soniccore is a company that produces hardware that lasts for many years.

we should not compare the company to a mass production company as nvidia...ati...roland..yamaha... that release drivers very often and free.... also these companies release hardware more often.

Here there is something that soniccore could make it appear more reasonable.

i mean... for instance: the soniccore 4 to 4.5 200euro update seemed nonsense.
in my oppinion they could have provided for free the 4.5 which did not not offer any changes and charge for the scope 5 which they gave it as free for the scope 4.5 owners.

just a matter of order.
if you have version 4, it is not reasonable to charge for 4.1 or 4.5.
if you have version 5, it seems nonsense to charge for v.5,1

but again i believe that it is just how it appears.
it would have been more reasonable to have a version and get for free all the updates.
but i guess sonicore and creamware did it in the past the same way.
i remember that i bought scope 3.1 and got scope 4 for free.......

as soniccore provided for free the scope 5 software for 4.5 ownoers(scope 5 was richer), the same way i believe they will offer something for us who will buy scope 5.1
for sure this company seems that likes having customers happy. so they will provide 5.1 owners the new scope 6 for free. i think :D :D :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

the new driver won't work with v4.
Burnin3styleFingaz

Post by Burnin3styleFingaz »

garyb wrote:the new driver won't work with v4.
Yes..And they (Sonic-Core) would NEVER trying to make it Compatible with Other (older) Versions
in the Future too. Why? They would spend more time to make it incompatible to earlier Versions.. instead of making an user friendly oriented Service, because they wouldnt be able to sell a bit more of the other things (nonSystem oriented but "Taste" Oriented) Effect-,Synth- etc new Plugins-
To say it Clearer: The Market Strategy of Sonic-Core--> Combinate it with the System Structure (new coded drivers & new included or Updated old Plugins) to make it impossible for free...to have a Reason to sell the whole thing. Iam so sure that there was other ways to make it more friendly, but they spent more Time on the Profit way instead of bringing the Creamware-Source Code Patent to a new Level ...and without thinking a bit more ..to involve the old Creamware Users on a friendly way for the new Updates. I payed for my Lunar +- 400 € & payed for the Software too 400€ all the Years.

The actual Reason for many Users are the OS Platforms which make the Soundcard not Multi Compatible.
For Example: I make Music on XP Pro but have another Partitions for Multimedia (Vista etc).
Dont say a Routine Answer like (You buyed this Soundcard to make Music bla bla...)
Ok ..there are two ways:
1) To buy a Second Soundcard
Result:
Good: (Multimedia) I Have no Crackles/Bluescreens on Vista & I can listen to Music, Movies etc
Bad: (MusicPartition) having IRQ Sharing Problems...crackles, bluescreens or unidentified strange problems etc)

2) To buy the new Update for 198 €
Good: New Drivers..Vista Compatible
Bad: Dont need all the BIG Reverb,Mastering Plugins because I have ONLY 3DSPs & possible to load one or two ...If I need them..and generally..Dont need more Plugins because I have too much of native VST Fx´s etc Plugins.

So the result to pay an Update is for me ONLY THE DRIVERS.
And dont say "But you are paying for the Enhanced Stability...bla bla" .."I dont want to Pay for it"
"I PAYED FOR THE SYSTEMSOFTWARE CONCEPT & EVERY CODE IN IT YEARS EARLIER"
If you say "And what about other "not free" Softwares like Cubase Updates etc?" The Reasons to make it "more" Sellable are new options or things like Halion one, Reverbe..., & other new Plugins and at last Workflow Optimizations and its not Hardware Oriented.

-If I buy a Midi Controller like M-Audio Axiom ..I get the Updates for free...Forever...
because I payed for the Hardware & the System Software in it.
-If I buy a Antivirus Software...I get the Updates (Virus Definitions) for free

:D :D Just my 2,5 Cents :D
Last edited by Burnin3styleFingaz on Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
STEVIE B:THE KING OF FREESTYLEMUSIC
Please support this Great Artist
"Stevie B. ft Pitbull- Spring Love 2010" on
http://itunes.apple.com/de/album/spring ... d385857932
I hope you like it.More infos on www.stevieb-ist-kult.de