Is MIDI control any better with 5.0?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Chisel

Re: Is MIDI control any better with 5.0?

Post by Chisel »

Tau wrote:Good Preset! I made a similar one to try out, and it's pretty neat.

I figure this is for the XTC plug-in? It's just that your values seem to go from 0-1, while mine go from 0-127. I am using standard MIDI, so I can control it directly inside scope. But it works well, quite smooth for MIDI.
Thanks. Yes, I'm using XTC mode. I love the way Automap lists all of the plug-ins' parameters. Controller mapping without MIDI - brilliant!

Peace \/
chisel316
cemhot

Post by cemhot »

hi folks,

i have a Nocturn and still on scope 4.0. Writing this, cause i have no midi merger atm, in case it is necessary for the following question. (The 5.1 ordered on revolution day. Still waiting. Btw anybody else still waiting?)

I have a problem to record CC with the Nocturn. I can play and tweak and hear it when i choose all midi in Cubase. Midi out is routed to Creamware midi in/out 1.
While playing the sequence there are no changes played.
I tried several things like switching the Automap interface to Automap, Scope or my Midiman interface. Done that for midi in and out.

The sequencer midi source in the project is connected to the Scope synth.
Another Luna midi source to Seq midi dest connection existing.
I also tried to record on two tracks at once with different settings.
I also tried to connect the midi out of the synth to Luna midi dest or sequencer midi dest.

Is Automap not capable for what i want or is it me?
cemhot

Post by cemhot »

Excuse me for bumping.
But i have 5.1 now, meaning the keys came today.
I tried the midi merger, but i cant make it.
I guess im understanding something from.
Do i have to install something like Yoke?

Again my problem:

I can tweak the sounds with my Nocturn and funnily the midi controllers are beeing recorded, but when i play it back through Cubase i can only hear the notes not the controller.
I can understand that the notes are there, cause when i recorded by selecting "all midi inputs" in Cubase the notes are beeing recorded from my keyboard through my Midiman interface.
So i guess for playing back i have to do something additionally.
What can it be?
Could you give me a hint, please?

Btw the 109,- Euro payed for the Scope 5.1 update have been the best investment for a long time.
I didnt expect it, but i can play the Minimax with one voice and the Profit with even 2!
Grrreeeaaat!
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Post a picuture of your project Window please:)
astroman

Post by astroman »

cemhot wrote: Again my problem:
I can tweak the sounds with my Nocturn and funnily the midi controllers are beeing recorded, but when i play it back through Cubase i can only hear the notes not the controller.
I can understand that the notes are there, cause when i recorded by selecting "all midi inputs" in Cubase the notes are beeing recorded from my keyboard through my Midiman interface.
So i guess for playing back i have to do something additionally.
my guess is that you use a physical Midi connection to play the Scope synths
(either from the Midiman or the keyboard)
usually the Midi data recorded in Cubase is played back via software Midi ports, you need Sequencer Midi Source in your project.
(connect this source to the respective Synth)
And of course set the track output to the Scope software Midi driver.

cheers, Tom
cemhot

Post by cemhot »

hey, thanks for replying.

Yes i have Seq midi source connected as posted before.

Before i answered i took a look on the things again.
And realized that Automap/Nocturn is simply not working!

Sometimes i have controller numbers in the list editor (in Cubase) but no events!

Then i said, ok, go for the new Automap Software 4.2

For this i aslo needed to install SP3 for xp and some s%itty Dot NET 3.5.
This comes in several dosages. Small ones, which want internet connection, bigger ones which also want internet connection...
While searching for another release (they are available from 3 MB to 230) and switched back to my music machine the setup was ready.
Then my midiman drivers were gone. Right, needed new ones for SP3.

At the end i had the same problem.
But this time with a concrete error message:

"Automap could not connect to Cubase 5".

Two bittersweet nights. First you have the new Scope and get mesmerized with the Minimax, then severe Problems of installing the new Scope (wanted WDM driver and looked in an old Folder of mine and couldnt install the new drivers then. Only when i erased everything named "creamware" in the registry and canceld XTC mode. So i dont know which one caused the problem).

Now i think my whole system is a mess. I have a dozen Dot net and Visual C++ (sometimes two of the same version).

Anyone had this "Automap could not connect to Cubase 5" problem?
I found a hint in the Novation forum about running Automap as admin (which i never knew could be necessary with XP), but that didnt help also.

Edit

partly success.

I connected the Nocturn direct to the computer (before that was USB hub, but worked before).
Did the setup in Automap again (for Cubase 5).
Now the device is connected, as Nocturn 2 though, but...

And the window in the taskbar shoes some tweaking information.
Still not recording or playing back the controllers...
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

Sorry if you already tried this (didn't read the full story) but if you draw a controller envelope in your midi track, does it send to Scope on playback?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
cemhot

Post by cemhot »

Thanks for your input!

Yes, that works.

Im quite sure now this is a problem with my Automap installation. It simply doesnt record.

Which version do you people use?

I have here:
3.74 requires SP3 (not tested)
4.2 the last one, requires SP3. The last one i used

When taking a look in the registry after deinstallation, i saw some hundred entries of Novation/Automap. Seems i couldnt delete all.
cemhot

Post by cemhot »

Well alright. I went back and tried all versions i have. I restored an older image for my pc system as well.
And after several days i have the bad bad feeling that i've overseen something.

I have to press "write" for automation in Cubase, is it?

I didnt find anything about it in a dozen of Automap tutorials and manuals. Finally found something in a manual of another Novation device.

So, phew, it writes. I really cant remember one had to do it.

Now, what is it like with Scope Synths (not using XTC)?

I tried to assign a CC in the midi track and of course pressed "write", but again the same. I can hear it, but its not playing back.
Do i have to route the midi from the Scope synth back in any way or do i have to use a merger or several midi source < > dest connections?

Thanks!

Edit:

I have it!

I used the Quick Control in Cubase, specified the input (Automap) and output (Scope), set the flag in that module to "E". This is the german version of Cubase, where "E" stands for empfangen = recieve. I added "R" flag for relative additionally, but seems to produce too much data steps.

If someone usees a different method, im willing to learn :-)