A16 Ultra Outputs - DC Coupled?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

le_tigre

A16 Ultra Outputs - DC Coupled?

Post by le_tigre »

See subject. I'm interested in using one of my A16s Ultra for MIDI to CV conversion, using MOTU's Volta.

It's specced presently for Macs, but I plan to use it in tandem with a FireFace 800's ADAT outputs, which, according to MOTU, should work.
Yours,
Niall.
Shayne White

Re: A16 Ultra Outputs - DC Coupled?

Post by Shayne White »

I don't know, but I hope it can do DC signals too!

If not, I'll buy a MOTU 828, which I've been planning to get for use with a laptop. That'd be uber cool to control my analog modular from my computer!!!
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

no they are not. i thought it might be an easy way to modulate my analogs. but nope.

it can be done with scope anyways.

im making a device that will allow it along with a very simple circuit.
or you can do it yourself with a synth. just use one with the envelope you want playing a very high note,

the circuit you need to build or get is a fast envelope follower, with DC offset and gain controls.

then the envelope will be "extracted" back from the synth note , which just carried the envelope past the capacitors in the converter.
a high note is needed to get a nice fast attack and response to sequences or whatever.

alternately you could get a cheap converter such as a fostex VC-8 or behringer and just bypass the capacitors.
(which is what "dc capable" means)

in that case devices could be built to take any type of scope signal, and output useful DC voltages.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

keep us updated neutron! i have been wanting to build such a thing for years!
Is it easy to build?
iw would be a very cheap midi/cv conv!.
thanks!