Got my RME RayDAT

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Got my RME RayDAT

Post by dawman »

I'm Cryin' A River 'Bout XITE-1. :cry:
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

great playing Jimmy 8) hey, what if we started a thread in the music or creativity section and have a blast with 4-5 jazz songs.. it shouldn't cost us much. hey maybe Wayne could break out his trombone too :D and then we bring on Noémie to increase the fun factor... Paul? anyone? :D
Last edited by Gordon Gekko on Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

so much for your thread Shayne :lol:
Attachments

[The extension mp3 has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

dawman

Post by dawman »

Nice Guitar Brosky.

Love to Jam more....but as they say over at Northern Sounds forum, " I'm on a filming deadline ". Fact is I am telling thet truth, those suck butts over there are MIDI File fishin".
Truth is my son is filming me, and I am filming him.
His is a school project, and mine is because I swear he grew another inch since last week.
13 years old and 5'8".. :o His older Brotha' is 6'6" and I went broke feeding and clothing him too.

Start it in the music thread, and I would glady join. I only have to record another " MIDI File " and create a preset for a developer, and later tonight before work I would love to have some fun.
Besides, this Piano I'm doing demos for is really good, so this is fun, not work.
On another note my band is turning into a live juke ( puke ) box learning stuff for the employees, which have no taste BTW, so it causes me to escape to jazz and synths the minute I get home.

See Ya' On The Rebound. :wink:
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

Gordon Gekko wrote:so much for your thread Shayne :lol:
That's OK. It wasn't really that interesting to begin with. :)
pollux

Post by pollux »

petal wrote:Well, I don't think your example is an equalent one. Lots of creative products are being produced under strickt deadlines, ask in the games industry if you don't believe me. And once again I'd like to point out that I am not trying to make Sonic Core name a date, I'd just like them to communicate a bit. Just a few words about the progress. I know they don't owe me anything, but they had scheduled release 3½ months ago, and since then not one single official word about anything. Lack of communication is always bad, in all aspects of life.
This is partially true, since many of these "creative products released on schedule" include major bugs, compatibility issues and other nasty stuff due to the lack of testing, bad coding because it has to be finished now, and so.

Besides it's simply not comparable.. Games like those coming from Blizzard or EA have multi million dollar budgets, and if there is a delay, they simply hire more staff, because there are many people out there able to code in C++ and / or make 3D graphics..
Products like XITE have a much (much) tighter budget, and available SHARC assembler programmers can be counted with the fingers of a hand.

Besides the reasons for the delay have not been disclosed (which is pretty understandable).. It could be a hardware production issue, an unexpected major software issue that triggered a major code rewrite, or it could also be the addition of many new features that weren't planned, but that could add a lot of value to the product.

In any case, I rather wait a couple of months and get a rock-solid product that I'll still be using in 10 years time (like my Pulsars), instead of a buggy one that will go to trash or be deprecated in 6 months time.

Let's give SC a break and stop bashing them for a while.. They want (and need) XITE and SFP5 out at least as much as we do, and they're doing their absolute best with the limited resources they have...

Peace
dehuszar

Post by dehuszar »

Yeah, it's frustrating, but given their situation I'm not concerned. Keep in mind, before X-Cite was announced, people were prognosticating that Creamware/Sonic-Core was dead, they had gone through restructuring, etc. It probably would've been better to frame their new project as a tech teaser and put it in terms of development goal posts than to advertise the product as near finished and then embark on 6 months of additional development, but if there was silence, the forums would be in an uproar, or even worse, totally silent.

At least people are patiently, eagerly, watching and waiting for our new beast to emerge from it's cave. I'd prefer it to be an understated and elegant rabbit that goes for the jugular than a garish, stupid monster that lumbers clumsily.

Sam

incidentally, has anyone noticed that Nova's keyboard/mixer devices are being sold with an x-cite software bundle (Ableton Lite+ a bunch of plugs & demos)? It's probably not worth pursuing, but I had to double-take.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

pollux wrote:
petal wrote:many of these "creative products released on schedule" include major bugs, compatibility issues and other nasty stuff due to the lack of testing, bad coding because it has to be finished now, and so.
Just a bit. SSL, UAD & TC have had bad experiences with releasing half-assed drivers for their products and they're a lot bigger than SC. TC's merger with Gibson was rumoured to be scuppered by the poor performance of one single range of it's products, their Konnect firewire series. The aptly named firewire protocol. Lots of smoke.

For any company to back track and clear up the mess after a premature release would be costly, especially in terms of market confidence in it's product. I was considering a Konnect 24 as an option for some more in & outs. The nightmare issues of it's drivers issue lost them a sale. Xite has to be right.

Don't know what I am so concerned about, I don't even need one. But I'm still roaring SC & JB on from the bleachers.

ns
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

I definitly agree with you Nightscope... even "big" companies just rely on few developpers really. And you may find buggy software/hardware in these same companies (the Virus synth for TC powercore, motherboards manufactured by electronics grandees, etc...). I know several small companies that make very good / high end products. When i bought my A-designs preamp, it was easy to get in touch with Peter Montessi. The same would happen for Lachapell preamp, etc... The best sound sometimes come form small companies.... Soniccore remains a smal company but if you check your scope boards (they are 10 year old !) you will find out that's a ****** peace of hardware (far more complex than a UAD-2 :D ) and scope software is still AMAZING : just compare for example the scope mixers with the presonus/RME/TC audio interfaces ones and you will see they are far better (to me at least) : GUI, options. Scope software (although there are few bugs) is not a brand new software (it is not necessary) so Xite CAN be rock-solid "quite easily", that's what I think. I usually try to avoid brand new products (because of possible bugs) but this one is based on years of developpement...

Let's talk about the delay.... I have personnally just sold all my scope boards and my PC. Why ? Because of the anouncement several months ago... I can now keep the money for Xite :D As i am building a new studio, i can wait for 2/3 months but i understand people complaining about the delay. But we all know if there are good reviews on magazines, the Xite is a killer in 2009.... because there are no real competitors with so much power, FX, synths, flexibility in 2008 ! I can hardly understand noone has been able to create the same complex system (i really do not find any other product that would chnage my mind currently...).

IMHO, anouncing Xite (even if too early ?) was a good idea IMHO : many Scopers will shift to the Xite (they are used to Scope, they increase the power for a cheap price/DSP, transfer their plugins and can shift to a mobile DAW now or later) and the mac users (2/3 of the mobile DAWs I know are on macbook pros !) are another (new) aim. It means that the target of Xite is now HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGER than before, really.

We must remember many people complained about the late creamware marketing.... and I do think Soniccore's one is much better !!!!! This early anouncement has helpded me to sell my pci boards + 1 preamp (as there are 2 in the Xite). I will just add 400 euros to buy it and i think many people will probably do the same if they can (it depends on your current music projects). Earning 2800 euros may take time (work, selling gear, ...) so the sooner you know the better it is, don't you ? That's why the anoucement is never too early...

Without such anouncement I would have probably bought a RME + a powercorex8 Sonnox. But I must face the truth : that would have been a mistake because such solutions are only for mixing (though teh sonnox edition is worth it :wink: ), there are no converters, almost no synth, less power, no express card option, 2 firewire needed (bandwidth sharing),... this solution would have meant buying more VSti ( I use prodyssey and B2003 a lot :roll: ) + additional DSP effects for a total price approx identical.

That's why I am happy to know Xite is almost ready :D
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Sound reasoning bill3107, the early XITE-1 announcement did allow me to save money, and prepare for XITE-1. Plus XITE won't be completely unknown to the market when it hits the market because info on it has been out here spreading for awhile. It might not be the most popular upon its release but atleast a good number of people should know something about it and educated to some degree on what it can do. That may increase the chances for really good initial sales for Sonic C. My cravings for it has only grown after considering longtime the possibilities it brings.