Digital I/O to Pulsar I

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

freddan

Post by freddan »

Hi!

I'm thinking of buying an AD/DA converter to connect to the ADAT interface. Reasons are to get clearer sound and increase the possibilities of routing the music (use of external effects and so on). In this way I can skip my external mixing board on the way in too.

Does anyone have experience with good boxes for this purpose? I figure 8 in+8 out would be great and at least 20 bits... Recommendations?

freddan
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

alesis ai-3, or creamw@are a8, a16 - must find the latter two used as they are no longer available retail, AFAIK.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-07-24 07:34 ]</font>
bosone

Post by bosone »

Fostex VC-8 should be economic and good (250$).
i plan to buy it someday... :wink:
freddan

Post by freddan »

Yep, I've seen it too. It's cheap nut I wonder why they have choosen to have RCA jackets though. Also wonder how much difference 20 instead of 24 bits will make. No experience of that...
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

I find the Fostex VC8 just fine even though it hasnt got jack connectors. I use it with my Mackie desk and it still sounds nice and warm and full of character even if I route in and out a couple of times.

Nigel.
freddan

Post by freddan »

That do sound good! Is it 8 in + 8 out?
Mo

Post by Mo »

yes, it´s 8 in & out, 20 bit conversion, rca connectors, and <i>not</i>racksize...
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

all three of the units i suggested are rackmountable, but are also more expensive. not sure what ratio of price/performance you were looking for . . . .
freddan

Post by freddan »

I'm into buying a virus or and a microQ so I sure need all the extra money I can get :smile: But I don't want to be cheap and lose quality for a couple of hundred $ so if the difference is noticeable I'll go for the more expensive ones. To be able to place it in a rack is also preferrable.

I guess a used one would be the best and it has to be if I'm buying one of the Creamware ones. Pity they stopped making them, maybe can be hard to get a one used.
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

The Creamware convertors may be hard to find but they generally are pretty cheap when you do find them. I haven't heard many nice things said about the Alesis convertors, get a Tango or RME if you really want a quality 24-bit box.
freddan

Post by freddan »

Peezahj, do you have any good links to the manufactors?
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »