Pulsar I usage tips

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

freddan

Post by freddan »

Hi!

I've been a happy Pulsar I owner for about 1,5 years. Though I haven't use it to its full extent but mostly tapped the master output from Cubase to the audio out in Pulsar.

Now I want to take it a step furher. Should I invest in an additional card to get more DSP power? The different FXs like reverb/delay and the mixer takes a lot of power and the whole thing gets kind of limited.

What kind of reverb, delay, mixer and other FXs should I invest in? Which SW synths are recommended to use or buy? I would like to get tips from you and get to know how you've been working with the Pulsar. Any recommendations or real life stories are appreciated.

I can add that I'm working with electronic music and intend to do the most of the work in my home studio. You can visit our website at http://www.2XM.nu to get to know us more if you want to.

Thanks!

Fredrik
Gregory

Post by Gregory »

You will always be happier adding more DSP power to a Pulsar System. I'd start by picking up a Pulsar II SRB board (or a Pulsar XTC Card) which will give you a total of 10 DSPs. You could add a SCOPE SRB Board which would add 15 more DSPs but that's a lot more money: $900 USD new (Pulsar) versus about $2500 USD new (SCOPE).

For more synths go to the Creamware shop and look at the products. I think all the Creamware products are useful. All the third party products are very good but especially the Zarg synths. They're better than any of the Creamware synths. If you like them you can go directly to http://www.zargmusic.com and find a few more of John Bowen's products (he's a pioneer/leader in the synth field, if you didn't know). He's also got a link to another synth maker which makes synths that take up a little less DSP power. They are very "edgy" synths.

For FX, the best are probably Sonic TimeWorks FX. Also just for reverbs, you have Paul Tanti's Earlyfirst website which I have and are very good but DSP intensive.

Explore.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Yes, <a href=http://www.zargmusic.com/bp004data/list.nhtml>Zarg</a> makes some really great synths, while you're there check out the <a href=http://www.track0.com/wavelength//wave% ... elength</a> stuff too. Some of it's even free...

Also for dynamics, check out the <a href=http://www.orbitone.org>Orbitone</a> stuff, I've found the <a href=http://www.timeworks.com>Timeworks</a> plugins to be pretty nice (still having problems with CompressorX though), but now that I've discovered <a href=http://www.earlyfirst.com>EarlyFirst</a> PT203x reverbs, I'm not sure which I like better at this point -- but both serve slightly different purposes and give different reverb characters. Same with Timeworks dynamics vs. Orbitone...

Really, 4 DSPs is just enough to taunt you, right now I'm running 7 DSPs, and it's a little more comfy, I'd like to add more and use more Pulsar stuff at some point, though...

Also if you thinking of adding DSP, I am running a summer special. Luna2's on sale for $319. Less than I paid for mine! :eek:
freddan

Post by freddan »

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check out the sites! Do you usually do all music processing in Pulsar, routing all music from Cubase (or alike)?

What is the best purchase for me you think? A Pulsar II card or a XTC card which would be my second one then, connecting it to my current Pulsar I.

Heard something about that Creamware will release a new version of the software this summer. Is it true?

Fredrik
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

Yeah, the new version will be 3.0 which should incorporate (amongst other things) WDM drivers (and don't ask *any* question about this, as this has been the cause of about a million more or less flaming/spamming mails forth and back here and especially at the Creamware forum :sad: ), abillity to run Pulsar in XTC-mode, free Volksämpler (I think?), and a new reverb.
Also of course the usual bugfixes, and maybe some enhancements to the GUI and stuff..

Ofcourse I cannot quarantee any of this as I am not even a beta-tester (if I were, I probably had to shut up :wink: ), and I certainly do not want to start new series of flame/spam-mails regarding this !

When you say ? I guess August or September is a good guess these days.

Cheers
Stubb
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

and the only real reason to get a pulsar II would be if you need the I/O. i doubt that you do so you might as well get an SRB, as it is < $$$. SRB = XTC
freddan

Post by freddan »

No, I for sure don't need for IO. So then I guess the Pulsar XTC is the thing I should buy? The XTC card can be used for other stuff then just VST right? I mean for normal use in the Pulsar SW for mixing etc.?
- Pulsar I / Creamware A16+A8
- Spirit Folio 12 (as submixer)
- 2 x Lexicon MPX-100 / Alesis Midiverb 4 / Ibanez DM1000
- Rode NT1 / Hooter Sound PreAmp
- Event 20/20 Bas
- Yamaha CX6x, Yamaha AN1x, Waldorf Micro Q
- AMD 1GHZ T-bir
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

XTC and Pulsar SRB should be physically the same (no extra I/O's as long as we don't talk XTCpro), and since you already have the Pulsar software methinks you can settle for the option that will hurt your wallet the least :wink:

Does anybody here have a XTC-board running in a Pulsar environment, just to verify ?

Hope you choose right, and Yes, extra DSP's is soooo nice to have, says the proud owner of a PulsarI and Pulsar II SRB.

Cheers
Stubbe
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: algorhythm on 2001-07-12 10:18 ]</font>
freddan

Post by freddan »

I wouldn't say that the Scope SRB=XTC Pro. As the Scope has 15 DPS the XTC still only have 6 DSP. The difference between Scope XTC and XTC Pro is that you also get IOs in the pro version. This is from what I can read at the Creamware site.

If I buy a Pulsar II SRB will I then be able to use the Pulsar II software? I'm still uncertain which one to buy...
- Event 20/20 Bas
- AMD 1GHZ T-bir
Stubbe

Post by Stubbe »

Yes, the software is the same whether you are using Pulsar I or II. Pulsar II should run on SW after version 2.0 I think.
So if you have been updating all along, you just plug the board in and you're off.

The difference between I and II hardware-vise is 2DSP's and that II have hardware ULLI drivers for low latency.
The box should contain a CD with the latest SW :smile:

Just remember to make sure you get the STDM-connector while you are at it(ask in the shop if it is not in the box). You need that to connect the two boards.

I think it is
PulsarII SRB = XTC
PulsarII = XTCpro
Scope SRB = PowerXTC

Confusing, innit :wink:

Cheers
Stubbe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stubbe on 2001-07-12 04:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Stubbe on 2001-07-12 04:08 ]</font>
freddan

Post by freddan »

Oh yea, it sure is! :smile: It's a lot money you have to put in so it's important that you choose the right thing.

But as I understand it it really doesn't matter if I buy XTC or SRB what comes to hardware. If I buy the XTC one I get the cool effects and stuff and if I buy the SRB I can run software versions after 2.x. As next Pulsar SW is going to include support for VST effects I guess that the SRB would be the best choice?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: freddan on 2001-07-12 04:13 ]</font>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

On 2001-07-12 03:34, freddan wrote:
I wouldn't say that the Scope SRB=XTC Pro. As the Scope has 15 DPS the XTC still only have 6 DSP.
sorry - i meant scope srb = powerxtc
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Not quite, this is what it says about PowerXTC on the Creamware site:

<i>
Summer Special #1: PowerXTC
You're a professional and you want the maximum power for your audio computer? OK. We have something for you. PowerXTC - the 'Overdose' for your sequencer.

PowerXTC includes:
XTC software package
More than 30 professional effects, synths, sampler. Fully VST-integrated.

+
SCOPE board
With 15 (fifteen!) SHARC DSPs, this is the most powerful audio board ever!

+
I/O Daughterboard
20 inputs and outputs on-board, 24-bit/96 kHz, MIDI interface.

Of course, PowerXTC also boasts all the features of its little brothers Pulsar XTC and XTCpro.

PowerXTC is available only through our authorized SCOPE Partners.
</i>
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

ok, i'll shut up now - so no one in their right mind should buy a scope srb it seems. the powerxtc is only a bit more, and it comes with an I/O board!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Well, PowerXTC is only available for a limited time - this summer only, so it's basically a short-time special.

Basically its a SCOPE with I/O, but you're not paying for the SCOPE/SP software (which is a big part of it's price).

Also remember that is a big difference between 2 Luna2s, and a Pulsar2 -- you don't get the Pulsar software/devices with the Lunas...
freddan

Post by freddan »

Comment from Creamware:

"Pulsar2 SRB is not manufactured anymore. The XTC- Board is the same.
If you can buy a Pulsar 2 SRB for less money , i would say --> buy it.

In September we release the Pulsar3- Software. With this software each
Pulsaruser will have the same
funktionality as Pulsar XTC.
Then you can choose between the Pulsar- mode or the XTC- Mode"
- Event 20/20 Bas
- AMD 1GHZ T-bir
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

September? :mad:

Ingo was saying "2 weeks" 3 weeks ago . . . !
freddan

Post by freddan »

But what does choose mean really? Do I have to choose between working normally with the Pulsar SW and using the cards to help Cubase. I want to do both in the same time...
- Event 20/20 Bas
- AMD 1GHZ T-bir
MeloManiac

Post by MeloManiac »

Yeah and if Creamware says september, december or january is probably a safer bet.....