Midi guitar controller

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x

Post by fra77x »

hi , i 'm thinking to purchase a guitar midi
controller... Anyone using one with pulsar synths?... please give some info like latensy, mistakes, ability to send controller messages with pitch bend (on the guitar), ability to send diferent midi channels on different strings...
thanx in advance
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

I haven't gotten too heavily into assigning different patches per string & such, but the Axion & Yamaha convertors work great for me w/ very low, playable latencies. If you've never used midi guitar before, tracking is worse on the lower notes than the higher but they're definitely still usable on these two units (less than the 13ms asio latency), you can even use them with bass.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

for now you could try the Synth Guitar modular patch for mod2 & 1 that i've posted to the modular page on panetz.
it accepts mainly monophonic lines, but is driven by any audio signal, sounds good and has no latency.
when modulars used were hardwares, many people (edgar froese(tangerine dream), paolo tofani (area))used similar solutions, with very nice results.
it also responds to frequencies and dynamic playing without the 128 step limit of midi controllers.
it's worth a try.
cheers alfonso

http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... forum=15&0 for mod2

http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... forum=15&1 for mod1
Mo

Post by Mo »

hoia, alfonso! which kind of guitar sound do you recommend for kind tonal response of the guitarsynth?
i tried some distorted and some clean variations to feed the thing, but the synthesized sound was mostly dominated by high frequency noise.

apart from this, great done. i always wanted to have a guitarsynth, now you´ve made one for pulsar :smile: thank you.
certainly i´ll find out more with just playing around a bit on that device...

thanks & have fun
Mo
Michu

Post by Michu »

for me clean on neck pickup works best.
probably cos neck pickup pick more base frequency and less overtone, guitar synth gives better defined sound.
such circuitry works quite nice on bass too.
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

exactly!
on the notes that come with mod2 version i wrote that i used clean neck pick-up pre amplified in a behringer mixer with peaks at 0 db. i'm very happy you like it.

i would be very grateful if anybody could post a simple diagram of
the signals output from the 13pin cable that connects the roland GK-2A hexaphonic pickup to the supported units (wich string signal from wich pin?). can you imagine why?
you can also mail me docs or links (nothing found on roland's official sites)
thanks in advance.
cheers, alfonso
Mo

Post by Mo »

On 2001-07-20 03:09, alfonso wrote:
exactly!
on the notes that come with mod2 version i wrote that i used clean neck pick-up pre amplified in a behringer mixer with peaks at 0 db.
yea, i know... "read the f***ing readme..." :grin:
well thanks for your suggestions, i´ll try today evening after work. hey, it´s weekend, isn´t it? :wink:

have fun,
Mo
spacef

Post by spacef »

About midi guitar controller :

does it keeps stuff like slides (at least) or does it only plays midi notes "legato" ?
i've been told that it didn't keep things like slides or pitch tune, but that was like 5 years ago... any experiences ?
(i guess the thread is about things to plug on the guitar so what you play is converted into midi ?)
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

midi controllers convert slides to pitch bend midi data.
the possibility to have a bend on one or more strings without affecting the others is achieved with assigning a different midi ch. to every string. it works with multichannel devices. i think that all midi converters today available should do the job.
the problem in pulsar is that you should have six different synths, each on a separate midi channel.
if you play monophonically or don't use slides on some notes while keeping other fixed, you can assign one channel for all the strings. (otherwise get lot of dsp and a big screen, and physiotherapics for the mouseclicking hand)

cheers, alfonso

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: alfonso on 2001-07-20 15:03 ]</font>
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

You can assign your GK-II pickup to play on one channel only through the GR-30 Guitar synth. When you go to channel assignment on this module, set it to play a channel above Ch.12. The GR-30 will then play on Ch. 1 on all strings. I haven't found a way to make it play on a different channel though but it's a start.
Now I can play any synth I want, and if I like my take I keep it and just change the MIDI channel in the edit.
Hope this helps.
Paul

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-08-18 07:00 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paulrmartin on 2001-08-18 07:01 ]</font>