Z-Link cables

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Entra

Z-Link cables

Post by Entra »

Z-Link connections (2 cables, 1394 standart connections)…but cables are too short (1,5 m).
I need 15 metres of the cables with same characteristics… (the reason is in the removing main computa to another room) ...but have a "fear" to use another one.

So colleagues the question is in the following:
Please be kind to let me know WHICH cables exactly fits better.
Brand CW or it will be possible to use another?
Does it possible to use them without risk of damage CW Pulsar?

Thank you.
garyb

Post by garyb »

just get good quality cables. any brand should work, if it's a good cable. some cheaper cables have poor connectors which will make for faulty operation...
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I don't think you will be able to find a single cable that length ;)
according to specs you'd need 2 signal 'restorer/amplifiers' (repeaters) to span a distance of 15m.
This is not video cable, but a high frequency digital connection - it will drown in errors by reflections and false transmission.

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, yes, that's true.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

astroman wrote: according to specs you'd need 2 signal 'restorer/amplifiers' (repeaters) to span a distance of 15m.
there is such thing as ieee1394 extender? man, I didn't know... :)
well, since 4,5m seems to be the maximum length, this makes sense.
I found some, after searching. but I found no hint if they would be compatible with what is sent via z-link, including voltage level on the power-pins, that makes the luna-box come alive... (and sends 2 lunas to heaven when connecting them via z-link)

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

It looks like there are FireWire 400 repeaters like this one:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1329

and FireWire extenders like this:

http://www.avsupplystore.com/om-rep.html

Has anyone used either type of product to extend their zlink cables? Any success or horror stories? I really want to put my DAW in a separate room in the studio, so I need to run about 25' of cable. The Gefen unit looks promising. You can daisy chain them up to 250'. It looks like I could get 2 of these and 2 of their 33' FireWire 400 cables and be good to go.

I just worry there may be something about the zlink protocol that won't work with this arrangement. Any ideas?

thanks,
Brent
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

If the extensions are pin to pin & have the same male/female connectors as the Z-link ones it will probably work fine. Very interesting....
bgarlow

Post by bgarlow »

I just thought of something. Instead of using zlink, can I use ADAT to connect my A16 ultra to my cards? The A16 has 2 sets of ADAT ports (16 channels) and I have 2 Creamware cards each with 8 channels of ADAT I/O. Would that work, or am I missing something. I've never used ADAT before. What's the maximum link of ADAT cables?

Cheers,
Brent
ali

Post by ali »

this was sent to me by Larry Kriz regarding Good Quality Zlink connectors:

Quote:

"It sells under the brand name "FireVue Gold". It has gold plated connectors and a little diagnostic LED on both cable ends. Also includes ferrite beads on both ends. Very nice.

Again - here is the website: http://www.granitedigital.com/catalog/p ... cables.htm

If this comes up again, direct your customers here."
hubird

Post by hubird »

bgarlow wrote:I just thought of something. Instead of using zlink, can I use ADAT to connect my A16 ultra to my cards? The A16 has 2 sets of ADAT ports (16 channels) and I have 2 Creamware cards each with 8 channels of ADAT I/O. Would that work, or am I missing something. I've never used ADAT before. What's the maximum link of ADAT cables?

Cheers,
Brent
don't have a A16, but it definitely should work :-)
maximun link? you mean length?
specialized music shops sell them at several lengths, I use 6 of them of 1,5 meter, but I have a fat one of 7 meters from earlier days.
ADAT is great, f.e. you can just' hot' cable them, and ins and outs are distinctive by the red light of the outs :-)
voidar

Post by voidar »

I am not sure of the ADAT-spec in regards to maximum length, but it must be influenced by cable quality.

ADAT passes digital signals via optics (light) through a fiber-glass tube. The light will at one time detoriate due to friction in the fiber-glass.

As of Z-link. One of those extenders draw current from the host. I don't think Z-link is wired for powering operations like firewire can be?
garyb

Post by garyb »

very good point. Ralf may know.
astroman

Post by astroman »

afaik the Luna box is powered via Z-Link
voidar

Post by voidar »

Interesting. So does that mean the A16U can be too? Anyone tried this?
hubird

Post by hubird »

Luna box IS powered by Z-link, I use two of them :-)
voidar

Post by voidar »

Doesn't it saden you that they are unbalanced? :)..

Just kidding. Very interesting. Looking forward to aquiring my newly perchased z-link prof.
hubird

Post by hubird »

voidar wrote:Doesn't it saden you that they are unbalanced? :)..
I can't even sleep by the idea of it... ;-)