Looking for Python

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

I know there's a Python Pro but I was looking for the original Modular patch. There's a link to it here:

http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/

but most of these links are dead (I'd like some of the others as well).

Also are there any other good physical modelling patches for Modular - that's something I'm particularly interested in.
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

Does it no longer exist now the paid for version is out? That would be a pity.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I do have both the patch and the Python Pro.
Honestly, considering the complexity of the 'standalone' I wouldn't even dare to analyze that patch... :roll:

I've mentioned it numerous times that I really don't get that people ask for innovative synths (and not the 105th vintage fake) that the Python gets so few attention.

It's very unique and does (imho) a smart approach with FM sound generators for an instrument with true 'resonance' in the sense of an instrument corpus plus some very complex feedback routings.
It features the idea of physical modelling without being tied to scientific limitations :smile:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-12-11 22:14 ]</font>
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

Thanks - do you have a working link to the Python patch or if not is it possible to send it to me please - I can't afford the pro version at the moment but would like to explore this further. I agree; I prefer something more innovative than classic analogues.
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Hi,
I've uploaded the original modular patches to my site, but not yet fixed the link.
You can get them here:
<a href="http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/downloads ... Python.zip" target="_self"><font face="Arial">Python</font></a>
and here:
<a href="http://www.modularsynth.co.uk/downloads ... Python.zip" target="_self"><font face="Arial">Mini Python</font></a>
The original patches were available via the Creamware website - I've been told they'll be re-uploading all the old patches, but no sign of this happening yet.

Cheers,
Ben

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2004-12-12 14:29 ]</font>
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ben Walker on 2004-12-12 14:29 ]</font>
Kymeia

Post by Kymeia »

Thanks very much for those. I was hoping they were still around somewhere.
JLS

Post by JLS »

Great sound

caleb

Post by caleb »

I've mentioned it numerous times that I really don't get that people ask for innovative synths (and not the 105th vintage fake) that the Python gets so few attention.
To tell you the truth, I think the synth is very poorly advertised.

The mp3 files that I can find for it show a fairly ordinary emulation of accoustic guitars and some vaguely interesting external signal processing.

The descriptions on how it works are slim and there's not even decent screenshots that you can blow up and have a decent look at.

And is there actually a demo download?

It just seems to me that everything about the marketing of this synth says "stay away".

Maybe there's better info, mp3s, demos somewhere else on the net - but it's certainly not where I expect to find it (on the site linked from zarg.
Caleb

Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.
johnbowen

Post by johnbowen »

Caleb,

Perhaps I am to blame for the lack of presence and awareness - the Python Pro was several years ago now, and there's not been much development for it after the initial release, as the interest was quite low, so promoting it has not been a priority of mine.

I would recommend you contact Paul van der Valk, and let him know of the renewed interest, and see if he has some other additions or ideas, etc. As many know, I only facilitated the conversion of Paul's brilliant Modular design into a stand alone project - he did all of the graphics design, manual, presets, support Web site, etc.. Since Paul didn't have the ScopeDP software, I provided the construction of the synth, working with Paul via the Internet until the last phase, where I traveled to the Netherlands with my Scope system to finish the project.

Here's Paul's email: falcon@wanadoo.nl

I'm sure he would love to hear from you!

As for a Demo version - yes, I still have a Demo version, which I am happy to send out...please just email me a request.

cheers,
john bowen
zarg music
caleb

Post by caleb »

Ah John.
Wasn't directing that at your site. You link to where the synth is described.

I don't think I'm necessarily interested in Python myself.

Was just offering a possible explanation for the lack of interest for this particular synth.
Caleb

astroman

Post by astroman »

since it has been asked elsewhere:
aside from all marketing questions the Python Pro is (imho) the best overall 'real world instrument faker' in software.
Guitars reach from Nylon to long distorted E-version with feedback - stunningly real.
From flute to brass sections, succeeds on sax as on trumpet and trombone.
acceptable strings, if one isn't expecting a solo virtuosity, which imho doesn't even work with the most sophisticated sample lib.

What sold me on the thing was e-piano.
I consider myself a true Rhodes fan and of course I'd never refuse a stage piano for a reasonable price. But other than that the Python does it for me.

One can tweak every flavour of instrument in a way that it gets a certain 'character' on it's own which is modulated by individual dynamic of play - just like a real instrument and opposed to a sampled one.

I preferably use it with a wind controller (just velocity and aftertouch) and it performs just great.

This shouldn't read as if 'modelling instruments' is the one and only domain of this synth - of course it can do 'regular' synth stuff as well.
It's easy to create long spacey pads as well as industrial noises, soft or distorted leads. Always with the aforementioned distinctive extra - that's what makes it outstanding.

It's really worth checking the modular patch or get the demo from John - it's just not all readymade with a ton of presets, but isn't individuality one of the things Scope is about... :wink:

cheers, Tom

ps Caleb, I think there is (unfortunately) some truth in your words

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-12-16 18:08 ]</font>
caleb

Post by caleb »

Hey - maybe you can post some of the diverse stuff done with Python Pro in this thread?

That would get your point across quite well I reckon and I'm certainly interested in hearing the range of this thing.
Caleb

decimator

Post by decimator »

Flute ? brass ? e-piano ? what ??? I missed that part completely ! :wink:
You can obtain also with Python Pro fried electric guitars, bells from hell, spaceships collisions, very angry droids, feedback drones ... etc well a large array of sounds to scare your pets for life ! :razz:
So tweak carefully ! :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

On 2004-12-17 09:27, caleb wrote:
Hey - maybe you can post some of the diverse stuff done with Python Pro in this thread?
I'll keep that in mind... :wink:
It's a bit difficult at the moment as I've moved to a new flat (lots a work in the house), end of the year procs in the company, my 'regular' SFP machine passed away (I'm running it on a Win2K server now) and I have the habit to tweak a synth but never store the settings.
But if I can contribute to Paul's and John's efforts this way consider this as promised :grin:

yeah Decimator, the knobs of the feedback sections should be handled with care (or anticipation) as one or the other monitor might bumb off it's stand :lol:
that warning is included in the read-me, btw...
I hope I made clear that the 'regular' instrument 'emulations' aren't just fad wannabes - they add enough individual modulation that they count on their own, while keeping basic characteristics of their 'blueprints'.
Imho that's an innovative approach, too - even if the sound reminds at something familiar :wink:

cheers, Tom

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: astroman on 2004-12-18 16:49 ]</font>
decimator

Post by decimator »

Python Pro is a Mogwai / Gremlin synth ! :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: decimator on 2004-12-18 16:55 ]</font>