Out of interest the max number of DSPs is?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

R-type

Post by R-type »

In one computer theoretically is 45 right?

I remember a post on the creamware forum by a guy who said he couldn't use all his DSPs due to PCI bus overload.

On a modern fast Pentium 4 or AMD system can you actually use 45 DSPs? or is the maximum less than that.

Some plugins use more PCI bandwidth than others don't they? like masterverb etc.

What number of DSPs are people here currently using happily with no bus worries?

I have 7! but I'm going to order a powerpulsar in a few weeks because the Chrismas deal is so good.
interloper

Post by interloper »

45 seems to be the limit. I've got 27, and the extra overhead is nice. You'll love the PowerPulsar.
deejaysly

Post by deejaysly »

You're a lucky devil having 45!

I have 36 and have done a project that successfully uses about 75% of them where the majority of that is 2 Zarg Solaris, Prophet Plus, Wavelength Coma, STM Reverb, a few compressors, STM2448, 2 STS5000, can't remember what else.... (that's roughly it)
...and was able to mixdown to cubase through an ASIO channel without any pops/clicks.

Using P4PE, 2.4GHz P4, 1GB RAM with LAN and USB enabled.

I'm a happy bunny!

I expect you would be able to use all 45 of your DSPs but, like you mentioned, it would depend on how many PCI intensive devices you have loaded. For example, 2 STS5000s and that STM Reverb would be getting on to about my limit. Haven't really tested what else I would be able to squeeze in but it's nice to keep a bit of PCI bandwidth just in case you need add anything or do things differently outside of your SFP environment.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Though I would add also, it would depend on how good your motherboard is together with tweaks to Windows (i'm using 98SE). I was previously able to load and use 8 Masterverbs with an ABIT BE6-II (815 chipset) before getting PCI overload then upgraded to the P4PE and was able to load and use 16 then due, I guess, to the different design of motherboard and improved chipset (845 chipset) maybe some other aspects aswell but this was all in exactly the same Windows environment and version of SFP.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: deejaysly on 2003-10-10 02:02 ]</font>
R-type

Post by R-type »

no no, I have only 7 not 45!

I was just wondering what the real maximum is because it seems that the PCI bus gives out before the DSP capacity is reached on high DSP systems.

Thanks for your response so you max out on a Pentium 4 system with only 75% reached?

Sounds interesting I guess about 30 is the realistic maximum.

Perhaps newer chipsets with LAN, USB, firewire and serial ATA connected directly to the northbridge will help creamware systems out. PCI x will also free up the old PCI bus as well I think as motherboards will support both for the next 5 years at least.
garyb

Post by garyb »

np 45 is the realistic max.as stated above,the types of devices used determines the actual max for any project(reverbs for instance use more pci than compressors or synths).
interloper

Post by interloper »

Both you and Gary are correct. These newer motherboards will have better PCI performance as well, so the newer the technology, the more likely that the PCI overload won't occur. I think there are quite a number of people with 45 DSP, working away with all that overhead...
TRMP8R

Post by TRMP8R »

I too use a P4PE, with 2.53GHz P4 and 1GB RAM.

I had numerous PCI bus overflows (only 15 DSP's) UNTIL I removed my SCSI Raid card and switched to the bus-mastered onboard IDE controllers with a couple of dedicated 80GB drives for audio. And the pocket is better off as a result.

I also have USB enabled for the Logic key, Unitor MIDI interface and Plextor CD-PREMIUM.

So watch those ancillary PCI devices. SCOPE is somewhat greedy and selfish when it comes to PCI bandwidth.
AndrewTurner

Post by AndrewTurner »

I have trouble with 2 masterverbs and a STS sometimes it's OK then others it wont like it at all, but then again I am running a VIA chipset. I have 12 DSP's and can only reach 75% usage before PCI overflow errors.

Some plugins definetly use more PCI bandwidth, the STS and masterverb are classic examples. I can use plenty of channel inserts and not cause any overloads.

Aspiring to a Intel chipset and a DSP farm as big as queensland.
Omb

Post by Omb »

hello everyone,
On 2003-10-12 17:27, TRMP8R wrote:
I too use a P4PE, with 2.53GHz P4 and 1GB RAM.

I had numerous PCI bus overflows (only 15 DSP's) UNTIL I removed my SCSI Raid card and switched to the bus-mastered onboard IDE controllers with a couple of dedicated 80GB drives for audio. And the pocket is better off as a result.

I also have USB enabled for the Logic key, Unitor MIDI interface and Plextor CD-PREMIUM.

So watch those ancillary PCI devices. SCOPE is somewhat greedy and selfish when it comes to PCI bandwidth.
TRMP8R,
i also have P4PE withP4 2.4 512 ddr and 80GB
maxtor hardrive ,
could you or somone else explane me this bus-mastered issue 'what it does and where can i switch it?

cheers
Omb