NEW dNA FX Racks - I cant find a reason to buy? Why?

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

Marco

NEW dNA FX Racks - I cant find a reason to buy? Why?

Post by Marco »

Hallo guys, any dNA FX Rack users out there? Would you buy this again? And why? Is there anything new inside which is not already included in scope's stock FX????
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
garyb

Re: NEW dNA FX Racks - I cant find a reason to buy? Why?

Post by garyb »

yes. the fx are really nice and have a flavor that was not previously in Scope. get a demo key and test it first....
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Chorus and Reverb is notably different, excellent too.
The demo idea is fantastic also.
I predict you will buy it.
Try it out in the AUX of a mixer and witness the clean sound, no phasing issues.
I sometimes get that on an AUX but insert a SpaceF Micro Delay for adjustments to left right.

Be Festive
Marco

Post by Marco »

Okay It is like every instrument, you must make use of it by your self, having it under your fingertips. Soundexamples do not help me very much. I must feel it by my self. But now when you say it is really someting different, this is a statement now, then i'll have a demo to try.

YOU GIVE ME HOPE
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

One of the best features of the racks in my opionion is, that you have all the controls of the effects and processors always availabe in a clean, single window. This should make it very easy and fast to operate (same concept that Harrison implemented in Mixbus and one of its big selling points).
dawman

Post by dawman »

Imagine an 8 x 8 I/O for an external stereo 4 x AUX/Buss multi FX rack..... :o
RA

Post by RA »

Free dNa-plugin to be released for loyal customers. More info on dNaMusic.nl > Loyalty Gift
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:Imagine an 8 x 8 I/O for an external stereo 4 x AUX/Buss multi FX rack..... :o
Well, that´s similar to what I hoped the dNA FX Rack does.

I hoped I were able to use the FX in parallel too, each one w/ separate I/Os, MIDI and presets and not only serial,- or a selection of FX (p,ex. 2-4 slots) in serial mode and the rest in parallel in addition. Free routing so to say.
I also hoped for the usage of the Tri-Chorus (as chorus) and the TC 1210 Spatial Expander (as flanger) simultaneously, but unfortunately that´s not possible,- except you use 2 complete racks in the environment which by nature costs DSP.

I guess there are limits of SDK when you want things on one DSP only and need some kind of routing avoiding phase issues.

I see the advantage of the channel- and FX racks for p.ex. guitarists who need many stuff in FX-chains or when recording mono sources, but not so much for a multi-keyboardplayer who will always have a (SCOPE-) mixer w/ auxes in the audio chain.

But maybe there´s hope and we´ll see some freely configurable stereo FX rack sitting on just only 1 DSP in XITE and not introducing phase issues in future.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud,
I actually retired the TC Fireworx and only lose its killer Phaser.
Always used Fireworx for awesome reverbs, multi FX, ducking delay and phaser.
Use after touch on the Physis K4 to send a CC controlling the AUX Delay knob on DNA Optimus, which replaced the Ducking Delay, and have 2 x DNA FX Racks, and Optimus for delay.

No more SpaceF Micro Delays to fix phasing on AUX Inserts.

Completely happy with the results.

Im trying to get back that thick Phaser sound but I'm certain that's still a hardware only effect.
Tried so many Native and DSP I tire from the struggle.
That Come Sail Away by Styx sound sadly is not able to achieve in the land of 1s and 0s.
RA

Post by RA »

Guys guys....let's not bicker on whom killed whom.....to quote monty python :lol:

@Bud....the rack itself uses merely 10%dsp 66mhz for rackfunctions of which most is metering. So two racks with just chorusses can easily be achieved(and if i recall correct would use up just around or just over 1 of the old dsp's...66mhz). Further more, with all the extra outputs it would be unusable as an insert because of the naming...and again bud...suppose you want just that extra effect extra in the chain...with the rack you xan do this the quick and easy way.

You both know i will make things even better if possible over time. But...certain things are not that easily created also because of compatibility. I can control phasecoherency very well as proven in most dna devices. But sometimes you have to sacrifice because the phasecoherency measures taken can take a lot of dsp in such an advanced dsp device.

Lets see what the future brings with this new dna rack concept. Pm for ideas and requests maybe...as we already did bud :wink: ...now shussss....go out and play boyz :lol:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Just getting home and trying the new effects rack and I must say that the sound is incredible! Nice job Ray! I'm only on preset #2. Lots of possibilities and seems really easy to tweak. I will report back with more as I progress thru.
RA

Post by RA »

Thanks Dan, please do report back...working on some things here also :P
RA

Post by RA »

Btw Bud...i was thinking....

Now why would bud want to use flange and chorus parallel...or in series...? Well...for sound ofcourse :P
You can always patch an optimus prime in for that. You can use the insertmodule on the effectrack
For in series or also an optimus for parallel on the mixer.

If you use it on seperate keyboards phase ofcourse is no issue. Parallel on 1 keyboard...i think a chorus..maybe with a little predelay would also do the trick. (Along with optimus on another aux)
RA

Post by RA »

For those who wondered what Annabella's findings were on the Effectrack....
Dna your Device is a winning tool! All out there, I must say, take that! The sound is outstanding.
Thank you Annabella!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

RA wrote:Btw Bud...i was thinking....

Now why would bud want to use flange and chorus parallel...or in series...? Well...for sound ofcourse :P
For sound for sure,- but for 2 different instruments and simultaneously.

P.ex. I´d want the TC 1210 in flanger mode together w/ the delay for my Minimoog D and the Tri-Chorus w/ the reverb for my Oberheim Xpander,- all simultaneously.
So, that´s 2x 2 FX in serial,- but each pair in parallel.
I´d imagined feeding each pair w/ 2 different aux sends.

The rack needed a audio routing matrix to do that ...
And w/ such matrix available one could put the modulation, filter and insert FX modules somewhere in the 2 chains on demand or use ´em separately too in addition,- parallel or serial.
RA wrote: You can always patch an optimus prime in for that. You can use the insertmodule on the effectrack
For in series or also an optimus for parallel on the mixer.

If you use it on seperate keyboards phase ofcourse is no issue. Parallel on 1 keyboard...i think a chorus..maybe with a little predelay would also do the trick. (Along with optimus on another aux)
There are many workarounds possible, more or less always.
I have so much gear anyway,- but that´s not in one box then.

Actually my main prob is my studio/gear not being set up since I moved.
So I don´t have the occasion to test any devices or using SCOPE at all.
It´s sad but it´s a fact and it also won´t be in jan 2017 as there are more family holidays ...

I just only couldn´t decide to jump on the deal because I dump cash to put something on my office machine´s harddrive I´m not able to hear and use ´til eventually 2nd Q of 2017 just because there´s so much other work to do here just only to feel comfortable in my new but small rooms.
That´s all ...

So, it could be I can buy already updated/upgraded devices later, but at a higher price by nature.

:)

Bud
RA

Post by RA »

Hi bud...ofcourse no prob. I just wanted to understand what your specific problem or favorable setup is/was. Thanks for sharing your thoughts again. As i said...respect for what you're doing at home mate :wink:

Take care bud.

Best...ray
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

RA wrote:Hi bud...ofcourse no prob. I just wanted to understand what your specific problem or favorable setup is/was. Thanks for sharing your thoughts again.
Ray, I think you´re a very good developer.
I listened to audio examples for your other devices since they were available, the Lex PrimeTime device p.ex..
And I don´t have real problems w/ your designs,- no way.

I just only think it´s so good it could be a bit more flexible audio-routing wise.

I understand, EuroRack modules come from modular synths and regerdless where they are located inside a case for modular modules, you´e able to wire or connect ´em the way you like.

These are stereo FX w/ stereo outs, but need mono in´s only.
Maybe you´re willing to think about some crossbar pin control system for the I/Os of every module, regardles where it will be placed inside the rack itself.
RA wrote: As i said...respect for what you're doing at home mate :wink:

Take care bud.

Best...ray
thank you !

all the best too ...

´til tomorrow :D

Bud
RA

Post by RA »

Well Bud...today is tomorrow so had to come here for a drink. I'll drink to that on newyears eve! I'll take your to 2017 and see what i can do. Have some ideas but we'll see.

Until then....happy newyear to all with all ya loved ones!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Happy new year 2017.
RA

Post by RA »

Happy newyear to you too!