MCMASTER STUDIO

Re: Loptop for sonic xore xite-1

Post by MCMASTER STUDIO »

You're rude
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

McMaster studio,

There are pro users in here, but unfortunately pro or amateur alike, I don't think anyone has unlimited access to every model of laptop out there, or the time or funds to test them all.

I would suggest that if you think that Lenovo laptop you mentioned sounds like it will do what you want it to, then by all means buy it and try it out. But I would first check with the company selling it to see what their returns policy is. Most companies have a 30 day return policy which I believe is legally binding depending on what country you are in. If the laptop doesn't work then return it for a refund.

There are many posts on this forum that other users have noted what laptop they are using and ones that work or don't work with Xite.

My own personal experience has been that my relatively inexpensive Dell Vostro 3560 works perfectly with Xite-1 using scope for Xite 64bit and running on Windows 7 64bit, no clicks or crackles at all, but in contrast my very costly at the time of purchase Dell Precision M6500 which I had bought specifically to use with my Xite-1 only works well with Scope 7 for Xite 32bit.
After much troubleshooting I found out that it was the way the PCIExpresscard slot is handled by the Precision M6500. I use that laptop for other things now.

Search the forums for other users experiences, but there is just no way that any user, or a small company like Sonic-Core can possibly test every variation of laptop, or desktop for that matter to see what works and doesn't. Most laptops should work to a varying degree, some better than others. Other forum users can and will try to help where possible but most of that is based on their own personal experience with one or if lucky a few select laptops.

Hope that helps.
valis

Post by valis »

MCMASTER STUDIO wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 am You're rude
Please do not escalate conversations here when people are trying to share what they can with you. I have responded in another thread exactly what t_tangent has told you. If no one has an answer for you, then it's incumbent upon you to find the solution based on what information we can provide.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i doubt that exists.
why not use a desktop?
laptops will always be inferior to desktops for serious video work.
valis

Post by valis »

I'm inclined to agree. While I don't have an Xite, I am a professional 3D Animator & video guy (as well as audio bro) for 25+ years now and I use separate machines for each task.

Audio & Video both do best with a moderate number of high performance cores, but audio tends to need PCIe/USB (and Thunderbolt) unencumbered by other peripherals, while Video needs a better GPU and robust storage. 3D Animation needs the best GPU (heat!) along with as many cores as you can throw at the job, which in my case means dual Xeons (or at least high core count single socket Xeons) which means that the per-core performance is limited.

In short, I gave up looking for a machine that could do all things in one and my work is now segmented into the appropriate working environment for each task.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

MCMASTER STUDIO wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:06 am You're rude

Yes !

Now think about WHY ...

When you MEAN,- a laptop for pro audio work w/ S|C XITE-1(D) ... AND for pro video work ... AND you specify you urgently need true Thunderbird connectivity BECAUSE of that video work,- that´s a completely different story and missing info in the topic of your thread.
It´s probably much easier (even difficult enough) finding a laptop for SCOPE/XITE, where older workstation models might be enough,- than finding a machine for your extended needs.

AND,- I don´t see any correlation between "professional" and the combination of audio- and video work.
That said, I myself never had the interest to do video work at all, but made a livin´ from music for several decades.
I´m about to retire now.

In addition, you got answers in several threads,- possibly not being satisfying for you because there are not too many guys here doing what you do and consequently not working w/ laptops.

And, I myself, I´m really interested in a powerful laptop for XITE,- and up to now didn´t find any.
When I did,- I had one !
In fact, I hate not finding a more lightweight and mobile solution running on it´s (backup-) battery when power fails.
S|C XITE-1 and A16U in a small rack and together w/ a laptop would be VERY welcome.

Lenovo workstation w/ expresscard slot, IMO seems to be the best choice from specs,- but I´m unsure about UEFI/ EFI / "BIOS" stuff always.
For SCOPE, you need to have access to every s##t related to Intel Turbo mode and every single step of energy saving stuff,- and these laptops almost all come w/ crippled "BIOS", pre-installed OS and drivers, recovery partitions and other crap.
It´s not so easy to get rid of all that and do a new install from ground up.
Some computer geeks here won´t fully agree,- but I think that´s true for the average user.

SCOPE is relatively humble,- it runs w/ almost everything from Win XP ´til Win 10,- old HDDs or SSDs, all kind of RAM and even an ancient Pentium 4 dual core processor (like on my "old" DAW Win XP machine).

Video editing doesn´t.

I´m pretty sure,- most here, use desktop machines,- and they know why.

And I think you might need different machines for video editing and for running SCOPE/XITE.

:)

Bud
bassundgitarre

Post by bassundgitarre »

Hello everybody. Maybe someone cares. My Xite that I got yesterday runs fine on my Lenovo w 700 laptop. The installation went without any problems and the operating system is Win 10, 64 bit. Already an old model, but now a great part again. Connection via Expresscard .

BuG
valis

Post by valis »

Congrats. And thanks for the machine report :)
bassundgitarre

Post by bassundgitarre »

With pleasure. We want the machine to survive :)
circlingkailas

Post by circlingkailas »

Thanks for this update, BuG. I think that's a 13-year old laptop that I have to start searching for on Ebay! But - I really appreciate the clear feedback on what works.

Does anyone have experience with a 2020/2021 laptop? Or even a 2020/2021 desktop? Or an update on Macs running Bootcamp?

Thanks!
astroman

Post by astroman »

Bootcamp will turn a Mac into a 100% Windoze box, there is NO advantage by it's Apple heritage... ;)
Just get a cheap quality laptop (preferably the most simple device, imho) and do a lightpipe bus from Xite to your (DAW) Mac.