Will XITE and old PCI cards work together?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

summer

Will XITE and old PCI cards work together?

Post by summer »

So, if I buy an XITE-1 can I expect to make use of my old cards and their DSPs?

How would I connect the XITE to the old cards? Is there a cable that goes from the PCIe card to the PCI cards?
Will all my plugins still work?
Do I have to get a new activation serial to make the XITE my main device?
Will I need to buy separate licenses of plugins for new XITE and old PCI cards?

Thanks in advance
garyb

Re: Will XITE and old PCI cards work together?

Post by garyb »

the cards and XITE are two separate systems. they can work at the same time, but you would need to connect them via the external hardware i/o.

licenses always belong to a specific Scope hardware serial number, not the user. this does not change with the XITE. you can transfer all the needed plugins(they still stay on the original serial number, too) for 98euro. if it is only a couple of keys needed, you may or may not be able to get them for the XITE gratis if you write to support, once you purchase the XITE(depending on who was the maker of the plugins).
dante

Post by dante »

summer

Post by summer »

@garyb Why does it not belong to the user?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

summer wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 am @garyb Why does it not belong to the user?
Summer, I think what GaryB means is that licences are tied to the hardware, and not to the particular user name. This also means that if you decided to swap the Scope card to another pc or sell the card, then the devices would go along with those cards. Or you would have to transfer the devices to another card by contacting SC support.
summer

Post by summer »

@t_tangent But then why must I pay for it again?
garyb

Post by garyb »

because that is how Scope has been since the beginnings of Creamware almost 20 years ago.
because that is part of why Scope has never been cracked, which allows SonicCore to exist at all.
because since the key is tied to a card, if you sell or trade cards, the keys go with them.
because this allows the developers to make cool things for Scope and have a chance to actually make a little bit of money for their hard work(a really good plugin might take months to complete).

because you do not have to buy it again. 98euro for any number of keys is usually less than several plugins occasionally by a large order of magnitude.
because i already suggested writing support, and said that if it is just a plugin or two, that i might do the transfer for free.
because you spend more money on Windows and/or Cubase, and/or Samplitude, and/or Live, etc. why does everyone think those guys deserve money when you update the computer, but not SC?

:lol:

btw-i don't know if this was clear, but when you transfer the key to another card or XITE, your old key on the old card will still work. this is to your advantage if you decide to run another computer or sell the card.
garyb

Post by garyb »

Scope devices are not really PC devices.

on the other hand, if you move the cards to another computer, or if you use the XITE on any number of computers, including ones that do not belong to you, the same keys work on every machine.
summer

Post by summer »

Thanks for answering. I get the feeling you have had similar question like this before.
because that is how Scope has been since the beginnings of Creamware almost 20 years ago.
No offence but I don't see how that explains anything.
because that is part of why Scope has never been cracked, which allows SonicCore to exist at all.
Actually, it was.
because since the key is tied to a card, if you sell or trade cards, the keys go with them.
Yes, that's what I'm was wondering why that is.
because this allows the developers to make cool things for Scope and have a chance to actually make a little bit of money for their hard work(a really good plugin might take months to complete).
Yes, I understand, that's why I buy their plugins.
because you do not have to buy it again. 98euro for any number of keys is usually less than several plugins occasionally by a large order of magnitude.
Ok, I understood this as if I had to buy every single plugin again.
I'm fine with paying for updates of software, I do that all the time. Not so much if I have to buy the exact same thing again.
If there is a transfer fee of all plugins 100 euros I'm fine with that
btw-i don't know if this was clear, but when you transfer the key to another card or XITE, your old key on the old card will still work. this is to your advantage if you decide to run another computer or sell the card.
No, I didn't know that and that's actually pretty good.

Anyway, thanks for spelling that out for me.
summer

Post by summer »

I have one more related question.

Would running two XITEs on the same system result in more available DSPs on the same system (like the older cards) or would two XITEs be separate entities? Is it even possible to have multiple XITEs connected?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, there's no way to connect multiple XITEs at this time....
the good thing is that an XITE is 6-10 times the power of a 15dsp card.

it's actually almost impossible to change the protection scheme now.
the keys have to stay with the card because eliminating a key from a card involves serious violence to the rom chip that has the registration data. to remove the key, the rom chip must be reflashed and then a new serial number needs to be burned into that chip. that used to be done for the cards when they were new, but it's a dangerous thing to do to old cards. it can ruin them. the process is also really complicated. it's better for everyone to leave it alone...
summer

Post by summer »

@garyb Thanks for explaining. It makes a lot more sense now.

@dante thanks for the link. It's something to keep in mind.
dante

Post by dante »

summer wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:50 am So, if I buy an XITE-1 can I expect to make use of my old cards and their DSPs?
On my system, I am running :
1) 1 x Pulsar 2
2) 2 x Luna 2
3) XITE-1D
4) UAD2 Octo-Core PCIe

All working simultaneously together on the one system.