Bad project file ??

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Bad project file ??

Post by JoPo »

Is it possible that a corrupted project (I don't know how it could become corrupted I just loaded a TQdrive processor in a multifx rack in the project that looks bad !) can make a "I/O board link lost message" or something like that (didn't think to take a screen pic), looking like the same message when you forget to switch on the xite and try to load Scope ?? I occured after 1or 2 mn playing the project with Cubase.

Because I think it's what happend to me ! I never had that since I own my xite, around 2008 or 2009 ! :o :o :o

After loading a backup of the same project, it worked correctly. :-? I hate that kind of message making me believe the Xite hardware has a problem ! :x
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Re: Bad project file ??

Post by dawman »

Reload DSPs by clicking Sample Rate box from Master to Slave.
But that might disconnect Cubase ASIO.
If so just do it anyway and resave the project.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

But it's NOT an usual overflow message at all ! It's more a message like if you loose the hdmi cable link !
garyb

Post by garyb »

it might have been something like that.

i wouldn't worry unless it happens more. if it does, verify that the hdmi cable isn't getting moved or jostled. if that's not even possible(movement), try reseating the cable, and/or try a different cable. it wouldn't be that amazing to think there was just a random error that might pop up in a complex system like a computer.

if it keeps happening over and over and nothing seems wrong other than the errors and the cable attention makes no difference, then there is some concern.

i suppose it is possible for something becoming corrupted in the project, to produce this error you described. but i wouldn't expect it to happen more than a time or two over many years.

what is sharing an irq with the XITE?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

It shares the same irq since years.

It seems to come from the project file. I don't have the message with an earlier backup file. What surprised me is that when a project file is corrupted, you are not able to load it without overflow message or Scope crash, I never had that kind of message. It's strange.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

F...K ! :x
It started again !!
The 1° message is :
1.jpg
1.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
Then :
2.jpg
2.jpg (22.11 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
And then :
3.jpg
3.jpg (13.88 KiB) Viewed 5757 times
What is this ?? I bought a first class HDMI cable 2 or 3 years ago and I never touched it, I don't know how it could be broken.

After closing Scope, I can start it again without rebooting the pc. Reloading DSP's, as said in the first message doesn't work. I'm going to try another hdmi cable......
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Same with the other hdmi cable.

When the 1° message appears, I can see the some of STM channels still working and some other freezing ! :-? :-? The trouble seems to happen only when playing the Cubase file. I'm wondering if asio drivers are not involved. I already run the Scope installer.

Now, I'm going to save all Scope devices preset to load them in my project template. To do this, I need an hour or 2 ! But I'm affraid it's not a corrupted project file issue. I'm feeling really bad.
garyb

Post by garyb »

if it's a hardware problem, it can be fixed.

reseat the pcie card.

it appears that Scope is losing communication with the XITE. that's likely a physical issue.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I did all that without luck...

But after rebuilding entirely the project, for the moment, it didn't happen again. But yesterday, after loading a backup file, it worked for 2 hours.

Luckily, I could load the project and save all device presets ! The project is really heavy, it took several hours to rebuild exactly the same ! If it happens again, I'll try to record some audio to unload some devices. I don't like much to do that, once the audo is recorded, I get an idea and want to modify it ! :roll:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

:o :o I just noticed that after rebuilding the Scope project, the file is now 1,00Mo when it was 2.25Mo with the bad (?) one ! :o :o

It may be worth the effort to rebuild a project !

Oooops ! No ! I made a mistake ! :D It the same weight !
spacef

Post by spacef »

is you hdmi cable well plugged?
I have sometimes this kind of messages when i move the pc, plug an new instrument (hardware, ie , with jacks and electricity) because the electricity is pretty bad where i am now.

(in french; ça fait une saute d'electricité quiand tu branche un truc, et mon xite y es sensible dans l'appart ou je suis. C'est peut-être le cable hdmi qui est mal branché? sinon je ne sais pas. ).
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Yes. The cable is perfect, I tried another one and put back the expensive and beautiful one because it was the same. :D

In fact, as surprising as it is, it seems to be a corrupted Scope file ! I worked all day long with the rebuilded one, today and I still don't have any issue.

After that, I started to remember why I bought a very good quality hdmi cable, several years ago... I believe it was about the same trouble. My memory is not fantastic for that kind of story... And it was maybe 7 or 8 years ago.

Anyway, everything looks perfect, now... Since I rebuild the project, it's lighter, not as much as I thought (2.25 Mo --> 1Mo !) but more 2.25 --> 2.1 and it loads faster. The project was really heavy and I made a lot of sound research, like building big modular, then delete them to try something else.
The only weird thing was the message ! The same as when you loose the hdmi link or quick low voltage disruption, indeed. Now, I'll try to remember that it may come from a bad Scope file ! :roll:

Many thanks for help ! Et very content to see que tu es plus souvent around here ! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I was corrupting projects once by creating new External Master FX Modules and forgetting to save the new/edited Module.
Projects would reload but had errors that made no sense.

Sometimes not storing Modular properly might do the same as the project remembers old versions, and runs home to Mama, unsure of why there's troubles.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

When I start a music project, I use to create a folder in which I'll save any file I generate for this project, like presets, samples, etc... and of course modular patch file. It's certainly a common way of doing... Then, I activate the modular 'automatic save' feature.

I noticed that the modular file will be saved at the same time you save the project if you make any modification in the modular patch, otherwise, Scope doesn't update the patch file.
This way of doing has advantages : you'll always have a save patch file but also disadvantages : if you load an ancient Scope backup file (since this weird issue, I increased Scope backup files from 15 to 30 ! :D ) and hope to find back how was your modular patch the day of this backup, you'll be disapointed : Scope loads the modular patch file you automaticly saved.

Anyway... All this blablabla to say that I try to methodically save all musical project files to avoid any problem... But with computers, strange things happens anyway ! When I rebuilded the Scope project, I loaded all the 6 modular patches (one of which is pretty big) saved in the folder and it worked correctly.

The issue I had with the corrupted Scope file is very surprising because it produces the same messages when you loose the hdmi connection. I didn't imagine that such a hardware message could appear because of a software reason. As I said, 7 or 8 years ago (in my bad memory !), it happend to me, with another pc, I took time to me to remember that ! :roll:
As industrial technician who repares automatic huge machines, I'm aware to be careful with machine default messages which can easilly appear for other reasons than the real machine breakdown reason. Sometimes, it can sends you on the wrong way to find why the stupid machine stoped to work. Sometimes, it can help you to find what generates the breakdown. But one should always take care and not believes default messages all the time.

I think it's good for Xite users to know that this kind of message doesn't automatically means that the Xite hardware is kaput ! Try to rebuild the Scope project before to throw your Xite away ! :P
garyb

Post by garyb »

good advice.

yes, error messages are not intelligent.