Ryzen Chipsets

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Ryzen Chipsets

Post by dawman »

I'm needing more CPU power since my ASIO needs have risen.

Problem is I'm grown really fond of Zebra2 HZ and Omnisphere 2 in Dual Live Mode.
Those 2 synths each use a single core.
Kontakt, PLAY, Bidules sampler modules and PianoTeq are nailing the other 2 Cores.

Can't use Z170/Z270/X99/H170/H270/B150/B250...

Going to take a chance with AMD.
If AMD Chips don't work I'll be going to RME.
Not real thrilled about leaving a platform I have used for 13 years.... :cry:

Wish me luck.
If AMDs Chipsets work we have a great path forward.
fraz

Re: Ryzen Chipsets

Post by fraz »

Hey dawman - Have you considered Vienna Ensemble PRO for VSTi to slave a computer to your Scope? - Then you can have more Zebra's :) or what ever else!
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I think fraz is right ! VEP is excellent to keep your old pc and turn it into dedicated heavy vst's host !
My new pc with Xite-1 is linked to my older with PCI cards via ADAT but also via VEP, it allows to have as much vst's as possible !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
fraz

Post by fraz »

JoPo wrote:I think fraz is right ! VEP is excellent to keep your old pc and turn it into dedicated heavy vst's host !
My new pc with Xite-1 is linked to my older with PCI cards via ADAT but also via VEP, it allows to have as much vst's as possible !
I thought DAW man would have known about VEP over LAN - Get 1 or 2 1700 Ryzen 7 with whatever motheboard - Overclock or not - and sit back and have 26,000 points worth of Zebra / Omni- what-ever - Komplete - RAM filled goodness :lol:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dawman wrote:
That's really messed up. Seems like most if not all of the current generation of intel computers are incompatible with SCOPE. Hopefully the incompatibility is just with this current generation and hopefully the next generation will be fine. Next generation sockets/chip-sets should be coming in the near future. I myself will just wait for the right generation before upgrading. CPU power for Native plugins may end up being a problem no matter what you do, i think there will only continue to be small speed bumps with computers and that true power increases have been stymied while Native plugins are growing more cpu hungry. This is the best time for a new dsp platform that is extremely powerfull (sadly extremely powerfull dsp's are expensive and may have incompatibility problems with current dsp-platforms).

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Sounddesigner wrote:
dawman wrote:
That's really messed up. Seems like most if not all of the current generation of intel computers are incompatible with SCOPE. Hopefully the incompatibility is just with this generation and hopefully the next generation will be fine. Next generation sockets/chip-sets should be coming in the near future.
Hi,

I don't know the total extent of what doesn't work - Someone on Intel Z270 has got his Xite working after a BIOS update. Whether it works as well as Z97 1150 I don't know.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

fraz wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:
dawman wrote:
That's really messed up. Seems like most if not all of the current generation of intel computers are incompatible with SCOPE. Hopefully the incompatibility is just with this generation and hopefully the next generation will be fine. Next generation sockets/chip-sets should be coming in the near future.
Hi,

I don't know the total extent of what doesn't work - Someone on Intel Z270 has got his Xite working after a BIOS update. Whether it works as well as Z97 1150 I don't know.
That's good news to know that someone got XITE-1 working with Z270, the bad news is that people are not reporting their working systems in the thread in this sub-forum titled " XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE ". When someone finds out what works with XITE-1 they need to post it and list all main parts used and their brand-names.

It is VERY important that people who figure out wich Sockets work with XITE-1 take the time to inform the rest of us. Such information is EXTREMELY important, especially with current generation of intel computers. We need to know if there are current computer systems that are proven to work with XITE-1 and the exact components used, one can't stress enough how vital that information is.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yes it is good to know about Z270.
I could use a really fast Quad and get by as the apps using Multicore could take headroom left over in the 2 Cores using Z2HZ and Omnisphere 2.

And I tried VEPro and it's way to finicky to count on Live.

But would love to hear more about Z170/Z270 rigs too.
I can get Scope DSP to work on those Chipsets, but not the Scope ASIO drivers.
Without ASIO I'm up shit creek without a paddle.
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:Yes it is good to know about Z270.
I could use a really fast Quad and get by as the apps using Multicore could take headroom left over in the 2 Cores using Z2HZ and Omnisphere 2.

And I tried VEPro and it's way to finicky to count on Live.

But would love to hear more about Z170/Z270 rigs too.
I can get Scope DSP to work on those Chipsets, but not the Scope ASIO drivers.
Without ASIO I'm up shit creek without a paddle.
Ah you want it to go on the road - hence one computer only - Ryzen have a 16 core coming out soon [rumour] on a different socket but maybe only pci-e 3 x 16 slots????

Have you tried or thought about a Receptor ??? - Don't know if they still make them or not - But it's a computer without the OS so many Zebra's in there
dawman

Post by dawman »

After talking to RME Total Mix gurus and UAD Console 2 gurus these guys are way behind to what we have.
Total mix is junk, UAD Console is barely useful unless you have an iPad, which I do, but I can't lose MIDI Control and Devices just because of some need for more instances of a soft synth.

If Ryzen chips don't like Scope drivers I'll just get a Relic 6 or other synth.
I tire from the stress of planned obsolescence Intel Microsoft and others abuse us with.

Just pray that AMD stuff works.
I got brand new Z97 parts and a spare tower and Rack.
I'm done with this crap.

I've wasted 2 weeks just to find out UAD and RME won't get close to what I'm already using and know like the back of my hand...
fraz

Post by fraz »

Hey Dawman - You could more more socket 1150 to run Scope - And I'm sure you can get creative with something for more VSTi's !!!

Having Z97 or similar is pre-requisite to being able to run Scope in the future. If Scope 7 doesn't show up but if not if we want to run Scope we need socket 1150 top run it!!!

What spares have you got DAW man for 1150 motherboards to run Scope? - Have a think about VEP - Hassle or not because it can deliver what you want and then some on top!!!

Also, you mentioned adding another computer RME Raydat and syncing over MIDI but this would be as much trouble as VEP.

If your Z97 stopped working right now - have you got a spare? -

What crap are you done with?

It seems like the Scope is indispensable for you !- You won't find better - And you realise this - :lol: - That's why your done with it right?

But you need to add something onto the Scope system to run more VSTi - Nothing is hassle free but when you're set you're set -
dawman

Post by dawman »

Still going to build a Ryzen for general anti Intel purposes.
But forget about 8 cores, 6 will do.

I never get much time off and usually go from group to group, 3 x different bands I work with, learning new material, making sounds.
2 weeks off and I learned how to use Keyscape Creative and run it inside of Omnisphere, like Trillian.
Now I got plenty of overhead even in Dual Live Mode running multiple layers instruments/

PianoTeq and Keyscape are fantastic together.
Omnisphere 2 and Zebra 2 HZ are also Dogs That Hunt....
PROJECT WINDOIW.jpg
PROJECT WINDOIW.jpg (226.46 KiB) Viewed 9180 times
fraz

Post by fraz »

You've got me there DAWMAN - I've never even heard of Keyscape -

OMG you shouldn't have - :lol: - It's Piano's - Wow - I bought a Motu Electric Keys which looks really good - It looks similar in some ways and reminds of NI Piano offerings - Is this a NEW release?

Also Arturia have more keyboard-y titles too!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Success is achieved.
Z97s with i7 4790k are more than enough.
You need more mature expensive VSTi instruments that reside on a specific core.

Kontakt CPU 0
PianoTeq Pro CPU 1
Zebra2 HZ CPU 2
Omnisphere/Keyscape/Trillian CPU 3

This is my rig until I tire from it, doubtful.
If I upgrade, I simply buy a real synth since A16/ADA 8200 has open channels.
Secret Test Kitchen

Post by Secret Test Kitchen »

At a certain point if you want to use Scope and stay current with the latest plugins and daws, you just need to have two computers. Personally I love Scope, but the world is fast moving and I’m not going to try and use software designed for more advanced computers just to have everything in one box. Also the elephant in the room of course is that the creative world prefers Macs, end of discussion, don’t even try to bat that one back. Right now I’m very happy with Windows 7, Ableton, and my XITE. I will not go further than Windows 7. To me there is no point. Ableton will eventually discontinue support for W7. At that point its time to finally buy a Mac laptop (or whatever the creative world is using) and Scope will become a sound module with a screen.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dawman wrote:Success is achieved.
Z97s with i7 4790k are more than enough.
You need more mature expensive VSTi instruments that reside on a specific core.

Kontakt CPU 0
PianoTeq Pro CPU 1
Zebra2 HZ CPU 2
Omnisphere/Keyscape/Trillian CPU 3

This is my rig until I tire from it, doubtful.
If I upgrade, I simply buy a real synth since A16/ADA 8200 has open channels.
Yea, I am considering the i7 4790k for my next computer upgrade, especially if the next-gen of intel Sockets are incompatible with XITE-1 (hopefully they won't be).

The i7 4790k got a very nice speed bump over the non-k version and are running at 4ghz (non-k at 3.6ghz). 4ghz is about as fast as the current Kaby Lake 7700K wich is at 4.2 GHZ and the overall architecture shouldn't be that different since the Hasswell 4790k was released not that long ago in late 2013 IIRC. So basically it seems that the I7 4790k are about as powerfull and fast as the current Kaby Lake so one really won't miss out on much if one gets a 4790k, it should be fast and powerfull enough for quite some time with a XITE-1.

I wouldn't be interested in a AMD Ryzen or any other 6-core since 6-cores tend to not have the high speed I desire like the Quads do. GHZ is still king over more Cores for many tasks and Quads tend to have more GHZ speed. Intel Quads are still where its at, and still king IMO. Getting to 4GHZ or slightly beyond is my goal wich will be a significant speed increase over my current 2.66 ghz Quad. 4 GHZ minimum should be lovely.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Also it's worth mentioning that the i7 4790k has a very nice advantage over the newer i7's in that you can use any version of Windows with it but the latest Kaby Lakes are only able to be used with Windows 10. The latest i7's strangely can't be used with older versions of Windows O/S's like Windows 7 if one ever wanted to revert back. 4790k can be used with older and newer IIRC.
dawman

Post by dawman »

FWIW the non k versions can be overclocked.
Just a bump to 4ghz is easy.
When someone tells me locked, I say bull puckey..

But the 4790 @ 4ghz is plenty for the most demanding non multi core synths.
Very little difference from the last few cycles of Intel CPUs.
GFX got a little better for gaming, Chipsets added more PCI-e lanes.
Neither of which I need.

If you want a good mature i7 rig I just don't see the need for newer OS or any thing that is part of the M$oft/Int€£ planned obsolescence.
dante

Post by dante »

Can you point me to a link w instruction ? I too was under the impression I could not o'clock my stock i7 4790 ...
fraz

Post by fraz »

dawman wrote:FWIW the non k versions can be overclocked.
Just a bump to 4ghz is easy.
When someone tells me locked, I say bull puckey..

But the 4790 @ 4ghz is plenty for the most demanding non multi core synths.
Very little difference from the last few cycles of Intel CPUs.
GFX got a little better for gaming, Chipsets added more PCI-e lanes.
Neither of which I need.

If you want a good mature i7 rig I just don't see the need for newer OS or any thing that is part of the M$oft/Int€£ planned obsolescence.
Hi - In one of your sentences you mentioned - "Chipsets added more PCI-e lanes" - I'm no IT engineer but this is where the problem MAY lie in compatibility or lack of it - In X99 / Z170 etc..... "PCI-express" address system - more addresses - more circuits on PCB than on socket 1150 - Maybe someone who knows more can somehow get manufacturers to release updates ???