XITE-1 preamps

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

tlaskows

Re: XITE-1 preamps

Post by tlaskows »

Well, someone has the schematics for the Xite-1. Someone should have the schematics for the PCI cards, but it doesn't seem like it. People (including me) are putting scopes and meters to the connectors to find the signals. I found all 2 MIDI ports on the ADAT24 plate, but it took me some 2 hours :o

I thought the preamps on the Xite-1 were very good ones.

I have an affordable M-Audio dual preamp/DI box and when I plug in my bass, I have to set the gain to 0 and gain mode switch on low. Otherwise it overdrives the inputs on the A16 Ultra. That doesn't make any sense to me.

-Tom
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

tlaskows wrote:Well, someone has the schematics for the Xite-1. Someone should have the schematics for the PCI cards,...
Yep, but there´s the difference the PCI cards are officially discontinued and XITE-1 is not.

So, someone owning XITE-1 schematics and/or service manual (hello S|C !!!) might chime in here.
That said, I´d hate to pull XITE-1 out of the rack and send it back to S|C for what ever they´ll call the task then.
When the issue is the pots only, it will be relatively easy swapping ´em once the right ones are found .
But no way should a XITE-1 customer become the guinea pic doing experiments just only to find out the right pots.
tlaskows wrote:
I thought the preamps on the Xite-1 were very good ones.
To my ears sonic quality is very good, but adjusting the gain is fiddly.
A good feeling knob w/ smooth travel and using the gain characteristics available is what I expect from such preamps.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's how they were made.
if you want to replace them, use the same value with a different taper. the value is on the pot. it's nothing tricky or surface mount.
tlaskows

Post by tlaskows »

Yes,

This is trivial for someone who likes to take things apart. I would do it just for fun.

The question here is, what happened to the diagrams/schematics? I have a backup CD from 20 years ago. I don't even usually make back ups. It has a lot of old stuff on there. Cakewalk 6 projects that still load the midi tracks in Sonar. Lots S3Ms, even some code. I don't know if I can put a value on the backup CD, but I better make a backup of the backup.

-Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

SonicCore has XITE-1 schematics, but they aren't shared.

the PCI card schematics are gone with Creamware. there are people who would know about them, but they are scattered about their own business.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote:that's how they were made.
O.k.,- so it´s not any other tech issue ...

I trust you, Gary !

But NOW I wonder why they made it like that. :D
garyb wrote:
if you want to replace them, use the same value with a different taper. the value is on the pot. it's nothing tricky or surface mount.
I´ll try short before I move and when I have to pull the rackdevices from wall-racks anyway ...

... and thx for reply !

:)

Bud
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Just in case it hasn't been tried, using the pad can expand the range of the gain when needed. I have not noticed any difference on input impedence, or frequency response when activated.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

jksuperstar wrote:Just in case it hasn't been tried, using the pad can expand the range of the gain when needed. I have not noticed any difference on input impedence, or frequency response when activated.
Yep, I used the pad-switch for line signals.

But the bahaviour of the pots is the same regardless if the pad is active or not.

I have no clue what happens w/ HiZ because I don´t own and don´t play electromagnetic instruments anymore.

Bud
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I did a session this past weekend and decided to use the front panel mic preamps for recording background vocals. Without the pad switch engaged, the preamps were clipping easily. That tiny input gain section between nothing and something isn't enough range to deal with even a modest input signal. Engaging the pad helped but there was still a very small spot I could find where the input section wasn't clipping.

I wish they would have included a front panel LED for the phantom power switch. It would be nice to know from a distance if phantom power is engaged like any other preamp on planet earth.

oh well.

I considered contacting SC for a formal response but my email will just end up with Gary and it seems he has already responded. We're not even 100% sure the problem is related to the potentiometers so replacing them with something else may, or may not, produce the results I expect.
Last edited by krizrox on Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote: We're not even 100% sure the problem is related to the potentiometers ...
This !

I also would be interested in to know if ALL XITE-1 boxes introduce this issue or just only (a) specific production run(s) does/ do.
krizrox wrote: ... so replacing them with something else may, or may not, produce the results I expect.
For me, it´s too much experimentation doing a mod w/ unexpectable result.

Bud
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Bud Weiser wrote:
krizrox wrote: We're not even 100% sure the problem is related to the potentiometers ...
This !

I also would be interested in to know if ALL XITE-1 boxes introduce this issue or just only (a) specific production run(s) does/ do.
krizrox wrote: ... so replacing them with something else may, or may not, produce the results I expect.
For me, it´s too much experimentation doing a mod w/ unexpectable result.

Bud

It seems very unlikely we would ever get a formal response to your first question/comment. I don't think any company would dare admit openly to a potential design flaw that might result in a lawsuit lol

And I agree with your second comment. I'm not about to play Russian Roulette with my Xite box. I run a business with this thing and am not about to risk damage to the unit that would require a return repair and months of downtime. I went through that with my A16 a while back. A "real" studio would have spares of everything but I can't afford to do that. I think if there's any hope for a solution here it's going to have to come through direct contact with SC - perhaps a user in Europe/Germany that can contact them directly for an answer. Two or three guys complaining on PlanetZ might not be enough pressure to get results. I'm wondering if the person (or persons) who designed this product even work for SC.