Cooling The XITE-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Cooling The XITE-1

Post by dawman »

Never opened mine up yet, but it is always pretty damn hot, and I suppose that's because heat rises, so the top of my Xbox gets toasty.
I recently orded new PC parts for another build using 3 x SM951 NVMe M.2 devices.
They will be streaming and getting warm so on the Samsung UBX 3 Core controller chip I will be installing these mighty little Heatsinks as a reviewer agreed my workflow was definitely not typical consumer/gamer use, but high IOps consistently.

Would these help keep my beloeved XITE-1 a little cooler maybe?
I fear after the abuse I put it through it might be in need of some tender loving care.
Attachments
A3TR_130328502977343750NxDdqg3KNA.jpg
A3TR_130328502977343750NxDdqg3KNA.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
A3TR_130320063906093750WANC1OUIuu.jpg
A3TR_130320063906093750WANC1OUIuu.jpg (31.9 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
A3TR_130320063904062500cgKejwvgMu.jpg
A3TR_130320063904062500cgKejwvgMu.jpg (65.67 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
jksuperstar

Re: Cooling The XITE-1

Post by jksuperstar »

Cooling never hurts. Heat is the enemy of silicon, not just from physical warping, but the ugly failures of slow death due to hot carrier injection! And that's not a new fetish at furry con. Cooling generally reduces HCI, and will prolong the life of any CMOS transistors, including a DSP.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot-carrier_injection

Just make sure they sit well on each DSP, and don't short anything out.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Then I shall get the big kit with 24 sinkers.
I did this for the M.2s and because the fins are pretty warm means it must have worked.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I hope that the engineers thought of when manufacturing and triy of the first prototypes !

I totaly trust german engineers. I don't believe adding cooling devices is essential. Unless one has the crazy idea to live in the depths of the Mojave desert. :P
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

Nice aerial shots of Vegas.
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

JoPo wrote:I hope that the engineers thought of when manufacturing and triy of the first prototypes !

I totaly trust german engineers. I don't believe adding cooling devices is essential. Unless one has the crazy idea to live in the depths of the Mojave desert. :P
You are correct, this is not essential. The XITE is certainly designed well, and I'm sure the heat is well within limits. But those limits are based on 10 year life spans (statistically, to have only so many fail after 10 years of full time operation at temperature) (This is from Analog Devices, not Sonic|Core, and more likely from TSMC, the giant semiconductor manufacturer in Taiwan that probably produces the chips for Analog Devices). But again, cooling never hurts, and will very likely prolong the life of your chips. Especially when you depend on it travelling to hot house bars every night to make a living.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

jksuperstar wrote:hot house bars every night to make a living.
Disreputable bars ! Some farwest bad saloons, full of hired killers in company with beautiful game cheater women... Really hot, so yes, in this case, cooling is highly recommended !
hot.jpg
hot.jpg (89.04 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

:)
garyb

Post by garyb »

how come everyone in that western bar looks French?
hubird

Post by hubird »

Painter at least is an Italian, and he worked and lived in Italy, as far as I could detect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Sughi
garyb

Post by garyb »

oh.

how come they all look French?
petal

Post by petal »

Because french is HOT! perhaps?
dawman

Post by dawman »

A picture of a mirror with large lines of cocaine (rat tail size) with a joint in my mouth, bottle of Jager in a bucket of ice and hookers looking to make a score would be more realistic.

Damn I miss the days from 10 years back when my plug ins all had womens names on them from my cut of the action.

Now I play for large biker women in 100+ degree outdoor venues, attacked by insects, my gear being cooked like an egg on the hood of a car in Nevada....and the drugs are weak, not worth doing.

I can't wait to get the "F" out of here and back to the action again.
garyb

Post by garyb »

petal wrote:Because french is HOT! perhaps?
perhaps....
garyb

Post by garyb »

dawman wrote:A picture of a mirror with large lines of cocaine (rat tail size) with a joint in my mouth, bottle of Jager in a bucket of ice and hookers looking to make a score would be more realistic.

Damn I miss the days from 10 years back when my plug ins all had womens names on them from my cut of the action.

Now I play for large biker women in 100+ degree outdoor venues, attacked by insects, my gear being cooked like an egg on the hood of a car in Nevada....and the drugs are weak, not worth doing.

ahhh, the virtues of clean living....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well it was actually clean in the sense it was legal or overlooked for the greater good.
Once you leave Nevada the fear of external control is a new concept.
When you leave a club to talk to someone outside its amazing that friends always get nervous and say hey man you gotta leave your drink inside......?
I am so used to everything being legal or at least overlooked to an area of over conditioning.

I now awaken everyday preparing myself to try and remember the dozens of laws I must follow.
Im outta here but not soon enough.
And wtf is last call? Hurry up and finish your drink as it is illegal in 15 minutes.
Fuck that shit..... :roll:
garyb

Post by garyb »

:lol:
always someone in the way of grown men and women...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:A picture of a mirror with large lines of cocaine (rat tail size) with a joint in my mouth, bottle of Jager in a bucket of ice and hookers looking to make a score would be more realistic.
:D :lol: :P
dawman wrote: Damn I miss the days from 10 years back when my plug ins all had womens names on them from my cut of the action.

Life is the hardest !

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually those days are long gone, but not the gals.

I've become more adjusted to being a civilian.
Nowadays I'm so straight I have to lay down just to take a shit.....
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

In all seriousness, you've got a good idea on cooling these, Jimmy. After the investment in xite/scope, I plan on using this thing for a very long time to come. So it'd be nice for it to stick around that long ;)

So post some pics of your install and how it goes.

Some movement of air also helps.