new XITE issues

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

new XITE issues

Post by krizrox »

I got up this morning, turned on the 'puter and tried to open a Scope Xite project that I was working on yesterday. I ended up with this:

I tried a number of times to open it, even did a complete cold reboot of the computer and everything else. Still didn't work. I had to go run an errand, came back, tried again, and it magically worked. I mean this is not good. There were no 3rd-party devices used in the project. All the devices were the SC bundled plugs that came with Xite. So nothing suspicious in the way of devices. I was using the STM4896 mixer, Optimaster, PsyQ and a stereo EQ on the output of the mixer. A number of plug-ins on one bank of channels (25-48) but nothing crazy. Z-Link sourced modules. ASIO modules. I mean nothing out of the ordinary. All Xite devices (nothing from the old Scope PCI project).

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there some known bad devices bundled with Xite Scope? Aside from synths which I'm not using? The error screen would pop up after a number of devices had been loaded. Almost like it was the last thing to happen after everything was loaded. It didn't happen immediately upon trying to load the project. Almost looked like an errant plug-in but no feedback as to what could be causing the problem.
Last edited by krizrox on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
krizrox

Re: Rather disturbing

Post by krizrox »

I should mention one other thing: I was able to open up smaller, less sophisticated projects so it's not like Scope didn't work at all. It was just this one particular project. The complete project only uses about 18% of the total processor availability so it's not even really putting a hurt on the resources.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

This kind of trouble happens rarely to me too. Sometimes, a huge project won't open (but you get capacity limit reached) and open after a smaller one.

But when I get really trouble like you to open a project, I turn off the computer and switch off its power supply, wait 4 or 5 mn because it's full of capacitor which need time to empty then I'm sure the Xite pcie board in the computer will reboot completly, then it works again.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

thanks for responding JoPo.

Seems odd to me that a stone cold system reboot would matter. Especially if Xite/Scope can open any project at all. I didn't do a cold system reboot when I returned from my errands. I simply tried to load the project again although I think I did try opening some smaller projects first.
dante

Post by dante »

You're definite it was a fresh XITE project (no PCI hangovers) ?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

No this was 100% done with the latest Xite Scope version software and bundled devices. I am still seeing the same problem by the way. I was able to open this problem project a few hours ago and do some meaningful work but then I closed it down and came back a few minutes later and no go. Still crashing. I tried (again) a complete system reboot, and also tried opening smaller projects (they open fine) but this one particular project doesn't open.

I don't know what to make of it. It must be a problem device within the bundle package. I am suspecting the STM4896 mixer. The smaller projects are using the STM2448 mixer. They all seem to open properly.

I'm going to try to recreate the problem project from scratch and add devices a few at a time to see if I can duplicate the problem somehow. That might shed some light on a particular device(s).

I sent a copy of the project file to Gary and Holger. Gary's email doesn't seem to be working. Holger responds only periodically to me so I'm not sure what to make of support.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the mixer isn't the problem.

i don't know what the issue with my email address was, but i got your last two messages and responded immediately. support[at]soniccore.de always works....
garyb

Post by garyb »

the project you sent to me was a Samplitude project.
it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the Scope system, except that there may be an element the causes a crash. maybe it's corrupted, but that wouldn't be Scope's fault.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

For the rare and random DSP issues, one trick is to re-select the same sample rate, and this will reset the DSPs...no reload needed, just tells the DSP code to start over from the beginning, and resets the interface as well. Not always good to do with your DAW still connected via asio, but just a trick to keep in your back pocket if you're in a pinch.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sorry Gary I sent you the Samplitude project file by mistake (*.VIP is a Samplitude project). I sent the *.PRO file for the "problem Xite project" a few minutes ago. I'm at least hoping for a response that you can confirm the start-up problem. If not, it's useful info too. Might shed some light on the problem.

I mention the mixer only because it's a major difference between projects I can open without issue, and that one. I was able to make a simple project with just the 4896 mixer all by itself and Xite Scope didn't seem to have a problem with it. Maybe it's one of the other devices in combination with the 4896. Anyway, I'll spend more time trying to find a culprit.

And thanks jksuperstar for your suggestion. I'll take a look at that too. Is there some sort of tendency for Xite to get confused when opening and closing projects? Is that what's causing this?
dante

Post by dante »

Theres no difference between XITE-1D and PCI project loading/unloading on my system, except XITE-1D takes longer since its loading more devices.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote:No this was 100% done with the latest Xite Scope version software and bundled devices.
Sometimes shit happens, but it´s rare w/ SCOPE 5.1 and XITE-1.
I had the same case for only one time and never found out why the project wasn´t saved correctly.
When I saved, there was no warning at all.
Sometimes, you get a corrupted project when saving,- but there are the backups, aren´t they ?
I think these are .pro / .pro-0 / .pro-1 / .pro-2 etc..

In fact, I went to the location where the projects are stored and deleted the (possibly corrupted) .pro,- then renamed the latest backup to .pro.
That loaded !!!

When I looked at the names of the projects, there was no indication one of these could be corrupted,- it just only didn´t load.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I can't say I've never seen corrupt project files, but I've had my xite since 2010, and can't say I've seen it more than twice, typically with oddball devices loaded (freebies that were developed back in 2001 or something).
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I dont think it's a corruption problem. I was playing around again this morning. Rebuilt the problem mix project from scratch to see if I could recreate the problem. Everything seemed ok but I noticed in one instance when I was shutting down Scope, I got the same error message (this time during the shut-down phase, not the start up phase). It only happened once. I'm really wondering if there is an errant plug-in.

I'm sorting through other external possibilities too (like a bad HDMI cable, etc). So far everything external is looking ok. I'm also considering a PC upgrade as a last resort. This older Intel MOBO might be a possible source of problems too although it seems to work ok. But it's about 5-6 years old. It would be a good upgrade for no other reason than to get a snappier PC. If I still get these problems after all that, then I suspect Xite is the culprit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

what else is running in the background on the computer?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I tried everything. Decided after days of banging my head against the wall to just pony up and rebuild a new DAW. I had a funny feeling most of the problems were just old hardware. We'll see. It's all together just need to install the OS and apps. I dont know what sort of headaches I'll have to deal with with the tweaking ,,,, lolol more to come...
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Getting a new computer I believe was the best thing to do and exactly what I know I would've done. All the issues you're having smells like some sort of hardware conflict with your computer and XITE-1. It shouldn't be so difficult to get up and running with artifact-free sound and stability. I had the wrong motherboard when I bought my XITE-1, and that motherboard had no problems with the old pci card only with the new XITE-1. When I changed motherboards all the strange progressively-worsening stuff stopped. The MB was expensive to replace properly but had to be done (I replaced the Gigabyte with a top-of-the-line Asus Rampage II Extreme X58 wich to this day is still serving me well. I think i'll have this system stuffed and preserved when it finally dies :) ) . The one downside is finding truly compatible hardware but once it's found a decade of paradise can begin. Wich motherboard/processor/etc did you just buy?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sorry for the delay in responding Sounddesigner. I posted my new system specs in another thread but here they are again:

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard
Intel Core i5 processor, LGA1150, 3.5GHz, 6MB cache, i5-4690K
Corsair RM650 power supply
Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB Ram, 2x8, DDR3
EVGA GeForce GT520 video card
WD Black 1TB WD1003FZEZ SATA 6GB/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
WD Black 500GB WD5002AALX, SATA 6GB/s, 7200 RPM, 32MB cache
Crucial M500 120GB SSD, SATA 6GB/s
Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
XITE-1/Scope 5.1 64 bit

So far, the new system seems to be working well.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

yep should be a nice system for the xite dont ever bother to go to i7 as the only difference between i7 and i5 is that the i7 uses hyperthreading per core which is crap for real time audio
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

i7 overclocked, hyperthreading disabled, asioguard - works a treat here.