Using XITE-1 Mic/DI inputs for synths

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

wouterz

Using XITE-1 Mic/DI inputs for synths

Post by wouterz »

I understand from some previous threads that I use the XITE-1 Mic/DI inputs to connect synths and other line level instruments. Can I damage my synths if I accidentally press the phantom power switch? Can I use unbalanced jack cables for the Mic/DI inputs?
jksuperstar

Re: Using XITE-1 Mic/DI inputs for synths

Post by jksuperstar »

You shouldn't see any damage on a balanced out into a mic/pre with phantom power, because a true servo'd output should not use ground as a reference (the same reason you can lift-ground is the reason phantom shouldn't hurt). The only things I know of that are sensitive to phantom power damage is a Ribbon MIC. Are you just worried about the button being pressed by accident, or are you mixing 1 mic with a monosynth?

unbalanced will also work. Since it is going into a preamp, you can use the gain to make the 14db difference between what a balanced cable could drive vs an unbalanced. And the XITE-1 is pretty clean for a synth input!
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

I will be using both inputs to connect a stereo synths and I was worried what would happen if I pressed the phantom power switch by accident.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

wouterz wrote:I understand from some previous threads that I use the XITE-1 Mic/DI inputs to connect synths and other line level instruments. Can I damage my synths if I accidentally press the phantom power switch? Can I use unbalanced jack cables for the Mic/DI inputs?
You can connect almost everything (balanced or unbalanced), line level keyboards, electromagnetic keyboards, guitars, basses, mics, outboard FX.
Use the switches ! HiZ or PAD or none of these.
You can feed the "balanced" TRS jack or the XLR combo jack w/ any unbalanced (TS) line level signal (often needs the PAD switch !) as well as unbalanced HiZ sources like guitars, basses, Hammond, Fender Rhodes, Wurli or Clavinet when pressing the HiZ button.

According to the manual,- the combo jack´s XLR is "phantom powered Mic" while the combojack´s "1/4" TRS is line",- which to me means, phantom power is only active on XLR plug´s pin,- but I don´t know if it´s really true.
So, I´d avoid pressing the 48V Phantom button when connecting a (balanced) line signal or any unbalanced signal using the 1/4" phones jack because I fear that could damage a (digital) synth.

I tried the Mic/DI inputs w/ my Kurzweil PC361 using balanced cables and the PAD switch on XITE-1.
That worked, but w/ usage of the PAD switch, the 1st 25% of gain pot travel had no effect at all, so it was hard to set the right gain-level.
I´d be interested in if any other XITE-1 box Mic/DI gain pots shows this behaviour too or if it´s just only mine and if,- why.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

I haven't done a huge amount of testing of the inputs on my Xite-1, but I do know that my headphone output on the front is fixed at full (I assume) volume and the knob has no effect. It's the same pot type as for the inputs, so I wonder if they're not totally reliable. I never got around to doing anything about it, as I just use the headphone out from my mixer.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

w_ellis wrote:I haven't done a huge amount of testing of the inputs on my Xite-1, but I do know that my headphone output on the front is fixed at full (I assume) volume and the knob has no effect.
My headphone output pot works as it should since I unboxed the unit.
w_ellis wrote: It's the same pot type as for the inputs, so I wonder if they're not totally reliable.
I don´t think it´s a matter of reliability w/ my XITE -1 Mic/DI input-pots because these show the behaviour since day one and I don´t use these inputs often.
I connected an AD/DA to ADAT and fed my mixer´s group- and main-outs into it, the mixer acting as a front end only.
My keys and midimodules run thru different rackmixer connected to XITE-1 analog in on the rear.
w_ellis wrote: I never got around to doing anything about it, as I just use the headphone out from my mixer.
I go out of my headphones amp normally, but sometimes use XITE-1 headphones-out for control purposes or when I´m too lazy powering up more other gear.
No issues, it sounds good but isn´t very loud.

Anyway, please test BOTH Mic/Di inputs w/ a stereo line level source connected and "Pad" switch active.
Keep both the input pots @zero and when you have a signal running, slowly increase input gain on both channels and remember the pot´s position when an audible signal kicks in.
With my XITE-1, I hear nothing until BOTH pots are in 9:00h position and at this point it´s the propper gain already.
Going higher results in overdriven signal, so it acts more or less like a switch than a pot.

Because it happens the same way on both channels since I own the machine, I don´t think it is a pot reliability issue but could be some design flaw or circuit failure.
Also, I don´t have a guitar or bass and never tested HiZ, so it would be interesting to know what happens when using that setting.

thx in advance

Bud
w_ellis

Post by w_ellis »

Bud Weiser wrote:Anyway, please test BOTH Mic/Di inputs w/ a stereo line level source connected and "Pad" switch active.
Keep both the input pots @zero and when you have a signal running, slowly increase input gain on both channels and remember the pot´s position when an audible signal kicks in.
With my XITE-1, I hear nothing until BOTH pots are in 9:00h position and at this point it´s the propper gain already.
Going higher results in overdriven signal, so it acts more or less like a switch than a pot.
I just tried it out with my phone output connected to the two inputs and had a similar experience to you. On mine, it's almost like the signal "switches" on at about 8o'clock (roughly pointing at the screw). However, there's no relationship between the two inputs for me. I can enable sound on either independently.

I get the overdriven signal if Pad is not enabled, but can use the full range if it is enabled. I don't think my phone has a very high level output though, which is probably why we get a different experience on that.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

Bud Weiser wrote:...which to me means, phantom power is only active on XLR plug´s pin,- but I don´t know if it´s really true.
Can someone confirm this?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

w_ellis wrote: I just tried it out with my phone output connected to the two inputs ...
Thank you !
w_ellis wrote: ... and had a similar experience to you. On mine, it's almost like the signal "switches" on at about 8o'clock (roughly pointing at the screw).
O.k., that´s not much difference to my experience and because I typed from my head it can be it´s almost the same on your and my XITE Mic/Di unit.
w_ellis wrote: However, there's no relationship between the two inputs for me. I can enable sound on either independently.
Yes, works independently here too. I just only described the scenario using a stereo signal and getting both sides on the same level.
w_ellis wrote: I get the overdriven signal if Pad is not enabled, but can use the full range if it is enabled. I don't think my phone has a very high level output though, which is probably why we get a different experience on that.
Can be,- I used the Kurzweil PC361 which offers +4dB balanced outputs, but some programs(patches) are very quiet so you need some boost, while others are very loud. The progran volume levels are all over the place in that machine.

Anyway,- that was the intention testing these inputs w/ a synth.

Now we have 2 XITE-1s doing the same w/ the level pots of the Mic/Di inputs.

Leaves the question if it´s intentional, a design flaw or needs service ...(?)

thx again for your input

Bud
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

It would make extremely little sense to put 48 volt phantom power on the jack inputs. Use the pad, if you use almost everything else than instruments with strings or very old stuff like the Fender Rhodes. You can always start out with the pad on. If you only have to use very little gain to get full signal, you can consider disengaging the pad.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Love the Mic-DIs for hardware analog synths. They are creamy and maintain the buzz factor at the same time.
Also agree the Headphone Out is high quality and sounds really great when you drive it harder.

I discovered this when I first bought my QSC-K12 stage monitors.
They are so damn powerful I was running unity gain on the Scope outs and my cabinets were at level 2 instead of 10. And I am up there with a Marshall half stack and mic'd drum kit.
I then decided to start running my mixers at -40>48db (comp/solo).
I needed an extra boost as I found my project window/powered monitor sweet spots so I tried a few plugs for loudness and found the SC Comp Gain make up at 50% won't engage the compressor and sounds really clean while giving me the extra boost.
It's great for the Headphone out too.

The amount of unconventional work arounds with Scope is mind bogglingly fun.
To the XITE-1 warriors, trickery is our weapon,.......illusion....a way of life.

image hosting free