Help with 64 bit...

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

shayart

Help with 64 bit...

Post by shayart »

Hi friends I need help .. I want to build a new "super"computer 64 bit sistem
I need specific specs ... that work seamlessly with xite 1
Computer that works really well ... No problem no noise .. Specification of computer that already works well with the xite 1 64 bit sistem

I am currently working with a strong computer...
I tried to replace to 64 bit operating system
Without success I had problems..clicks noise and Stuff
Probably the motherboard... :(

So I thought ... to build another computer wite 64 bit sistem!
And may work with two computers...Leave the xite wite 32 bit
And install the Heavy plug-ins on the new computer
I'd love to hear your opinion.... :)

Thanks shay dan
garyb

Re: Help with 64 bit...

Post by garyb »

Shay, almost all of the newer components are good, from what i've seen. you shouldn't have any problem with 64bit systems, other than the well documented no STS, no XTC and that many of the older step sequencers won't work. just be sure that you use quality parts. use my setup guide in tips and tricks and everything should work just fine.
shayart

Post by shayart »

garyb wrote:Shay, almost all of the newer components are good, from what i've seen. you shouldn't have any problem with 64bit systems, other than the well documented no STS, no XTC and that many of the older step sequencers won't work. just be sure that you use quality parts. use my setup guide in tips and tricks and everything should work just fine.

hi garyb :)
Yes ...
But I tried to do it on my computer without success :(
I had strange noises sometimes.."Clicks"
Other that it worked well...But it's impossible to work with noises..I did everything listed tips..And still sometimes "clicks" noise

My computer is first generation of i7
Maybe that's why...
Although all of the parts is very high quality!!
I tried everything And it did not help... :( You also help at the time.. :wink:
So I back to 32 bit!!

That's why I ask.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks shay dan
shayart

Post by shayart »

I have lots of toys that require 64-bit OS (Memory mostly)
I would be happy To be successful working with everyone at the same time....... :wink:

So I'm interested in 64-bit operating system...Maybe just better to separately from My system Now.... :roll:

This is an issue that bothers me lately :(

shay
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

I bought a used Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) with an i7 quad core CPU recently and connected the Xite via a Sonnet Thunderbolt to ExpressCard Adapter that holds the Sonic Core ExpressCard.
I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and it's running fine so far. I didn't do much, yet, though, cause I just set up everything at the weekend.
No noise and a fairly small footprint. The Mini is housed in the Sonnet Rackmac Mini by the way, so I can put it into the rack right below the Xite. :)

Keep in mind that you can't install a 32-bit Windows on newer Macs because they need Bootcamp 5...
shayart

Post by shayart »

sunmachine wrote:I bought a used Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) with an i7 quad core CPU recently and connected the Xite via a Sonnet Thunderbolt to ExpressCard Adapter that holds the Sonic Core ExpressCard.
I installed Windows 7 Pro 64-bit and it's running fine so far. I didn't do much, yet, though, cause I just set up everything at the weekend.
No noise and a fairly small footprint. The Mini is housed in the Sonnet Rackmac Mini by the way, so I can put it into the rack right below the Xite. :)

Keep in mind that you can't install a 32-bit Windows on newer Macs because they need Bootcamp 5...
Hii

The noises happen just wen the scope runs with cubase!!!
That was my problem

Shay
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Wow, that's a pretty cool setup.

And then there is this:
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/xmacminiserver.html

A 1-rack unit that holds a mac mini, with power supply, and has thunderbolt->pcie with slots!
dawman

Post by dawman »

If the toys you speak of are Native Sample Playback apps. you'll need SSD's.
For example Kontakt only needs SATA III SSD's and a 20k DFD setting, over riding Kontakts' 6k default setting. Most guys use 12-16k for DFD but they don't own an XITE-1, we do, so 20k and SATA III SSD's work fine.
If you are using VSL or PLAY sample playback apps, they can still work on a more limited basis using SATA III SSD's.
I just did finish a new Supermicro build with their 1U 14" deep chassis, and their new Z97 1150 motherboard.
It has a built in M.2 PCI-e connector on the motherboard, which is 4GBps faster than SATA III, and directly connects to the i7 4970k CPU. The specs are not real wolrd though, but break down like this, SATA III 6GBps equates to 515MBps in seq. read rates, and 80k random reads. More than enough for Kontakt, and I use 12 x Instrument Banks each with 16 instruments, spanned over 12 MIDI channels.
PLAY and VSL still gag using SATA III, but on the new M.2 PCI-e @ 10GBps, I get 760MBps reads and 110k Random IOps. So I use the Samsung XP941 for all samples, then have old SATA III SSD (OCZ Vector 4) for the OS+Apps.

Gary is right about all new designs working fine for x64, but it's the streaming from disk x64 apps that are picky and need fine tuning and new hardware for real time use.

http://impactsoundworks.com/optimizing- ... ow-part-3/

Here's some really well documented tips for Kontakt from a top shelf developer which will really help if you want to just stay with SATA III.
For PLAY and VSL, little is documented on their performance except for whiny guys crying about streaming troubles, and even when I tell them they need x-amount of IOps and higher seq. read rates they still piss and moan about bending over to pick up another dime for hardware. The developers sure don't tell people how sloppy their code is, but it's really easy, over come sloppy code with brute force.

I'd be happy to help on a parts list if you need, but most folks just stay with Kontakt as there are excellent developers with great Orchestral libraries, negating the need for costlier massively obese PLAY and VSL 500 mic positioned instruments.
dante

Post by dante »

Its the same story all round - go in and edit out anything you dont need on both native and DSP platforms eg:

1) Kontakt : Instruments you dont use in database, MAX poly on instruments (preallocates).
2) Solaris Core : Yesterday I got 2 extra voices poly by turning off effects and envelopes that didn't affect the sound.
3) Reason : In Zelig B3 default preset, too many devices are loaded in the combinator for drawbars I wasnt using, took them out and eliminated a couple of clicks and pops coming through Rewire to Cubase.

I think some preset developers in particular, leave things turned on and dont do trimming sometimes.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Or just use a Samsung XP941 512GB device, put your Apps+OS on a single tiny unit and forget about clicks pops or any audio related issues.
1.2GBps Seq. Reads, 320k+ Random IOps.

This DAWg'll Hunt.

image upload no registration