Xite-1 and VirtualBox

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

idiso

Xite-1 and VirtualBox

Post by idiso »

Hello!

Is here anybody who tried installing Xite-1 under VirtualBox?

Are there any experiences?

I'll try it soon,but it does not hurt asking beforehand.I want to run a virtualized XP system under Win8Pro host.System is already set up.

Looking forward to any suggestions or oppinions .

Thanks,

Steve
Scope forever
garyb

Re: Xite-1 and VirtualBox

Post by garyb »

no.
it runs great in win8 or xp, but that's just too many layers to run Scope in xp IN win8. the Scope environment is not inside the pc, only the gui is. the gui needs to connect to a realtime system.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I tried, and the issue I had was the. VM only exposes a network and USB port, but memory is mostly protected space, and PCI/e is memory mapped. So I couldn't get the cardexposed to theVM. Maybe if you know what you are doing it could work. ;)
igge1

Post by igge1 »

If VMWare can't access the Scope PCI cards/Xite-1, I doubt any other virtual machine can. Support for anything other than a generic DirectX audio hardware (read simple stereo-only SoundBlaster compatible) isn't something those developers spend their time on.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

VM's won't work.
Don't even bother testing.

G
idiso

Post by idiso »

Yep!
I guess if pci port passthrough will be available for Windows it could work.
I suppose in one of the following releases.As they started to do so for linux based systems.It works (experimental state according to oracle support ) with some pci cards already though.I will try someday soon (?? ) anyway.
Scope forever
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

i work as web developer and i use virtual machines, but the only hardware you can run is over usb, so scope cannot work without direct access to pci or xite hardware.
A reason to run scope under a virtual machine, could be linux or osx related, for example using jack over ethernet as audio engine.
When/if virtual machines will have direct access to pci/pci-e this will be possible.

p.s i still have not tried the vbox pci attach feature.
Goa303

Post by Goa303 »

Maybe a bit of necroposting here, but just to keep things factual:

In theory, since intel vt-d with a properly setup IOMMU with DMAR tables, nothing should prevent you to connect any PCIe device to a virtualized environment provided that:

-your chipset properly supports IOMMU
-your CPU properly supports IOMMU (eg intel VT-d)
-your BIOS properly supports IOMMU (including DMAR tables)
-the device to be mapped is a PCIe device (PCI is possible but the whole bridge has to be mapped to the same guest OS)
-the hypervisor should properly supports IOMMU (eg VMware ESX, Xen and now also virtualbox)

Some manufacturers have been notorious for advertising support for IOMMU and botching a part of the implementation and make it unworkable (just because of plain awful carelessness eg improperly populated DMAR tables and early bioses in some of the first ASUS boards that supported intel VT-d), while some "cheap" MB manufacturers got it properly (eg some ASRock boards)

The actual hardware mapped is completely oblivious of the remapping and should work, as the driver writes to PCI space addresses normally, and those are actually virtualized and translated both ways to and from the hw on the PCI bus.
The hardware thus appears to the guest OS as if it was directly accessible without the interference of the hypervisor (which is really the case too! The hypervisor can't allocate the device to two guests in that case)

Also, PCI passthrough is a feature that the hypervisor must support, not Windows (the guest OS).

For Virtual Box, see caveats here:

http://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch09.h ... assthrough
hubird

Post by hubird »

wow... :D