XITE durability

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ricardo

XITE durability

Post by Ricardo »

Anyone ever had to send their XITE off for maintainance? Only asking before I off load my old cards. It suddenly occurred to me that no back up would make me very grumpy. :evil:
R
Mr Arkadin

Re: XITE durability

Post by Mr Arkadin »

I had one slightly dodgy mic preamp channel. To be honest it probably would have been an easy fix (like resetting a ribbon cable), but I sent it back as it was still in warranty and didn't want to void it in case anything else went wrong. It's been fine since it was returned. Haven't heard of any other incidents like this.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Thanks. How long was it gone for?
R
dawman

Post by dawman »

I drag mine around 6 nights a week for 4 1/2 years now, I'd say it's a selling
point.

Here's a new small 1U Companion I am getting so I can have 32GB Sample
Templates at 2 and 3 times the speed of the fastest SSDs, and new
redundant OS in RAID 1.

Total price is 1850 USD and it includes

Rackmount ATX 1U Chassis and high watt PSU
Intel i7 4770K w/ HD5000
Supermicro X10SLQ with mSATA Connector w/ Visiontek 480 GB mSATA OS+Apps
Mushkin 480GB PCIe SSD 8x
32GBs of low profile Samsung 1.35v 1600 DDR3
Seagate Momentus XL Hyrid (spare OS+Apps) 500GB

Kontakt streaming will be twice the throughput and .01msec latency
Using Sequentail Reads
The more important Random Reads and IOps is 3-4 times the SATA III rate.

This is 2014 as my XITE-1 needs new trim too, the older 1U will make a great
spare as it still runs 110%.
Attachments
XITE-1 1U MICRO ATX COMPANION.JPG
XITE-1 1U MICRO ATX COMPANION.JPG (314.68 KiB) Viewed 3126 times
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

I've had my XITE-1 for over 4 years now and still no problems here. I'll probably buy another one next year to serve as a back-up in case something goes wrong when i can afford to - and serve as a extra rig, but XITE-1's build quality is very solid like the old pci cards but better IMV. I'm sure 15 years from now many of us will still have our XITE-1's and old SCOPE plugins still, just like pci card users today. Sure there are cases where some people cards and XITE-1's have a short life for variouse reasons that naturally occur but i think SCOPE gear is built like a tank, and my personal experience is proving that for me more and more as time passes. I'm sure i'll go threw many computers before needing a new XITE-1, my current computer is about 5 years old and i'll probably replace it next year.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Ricardo wrote:Thanks. How long was it gone for?
I seem to remember getting back within a couple of weeks max, maybe less. This was UK to Germany and back.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Mr Arkadin wrote:I had one slightly dodgy mic preamp channel.
I have a question:

When using the Mic/DI channels for a instrument and using the PAD,- is it normal the channel-gain pots have no impact for the 1st 25% of pot travel, then suddenly the gain jumps to an amount of level making the instrument audible, but,- the next millimeters of pot travel already cause overdrive ?

That happens w/ both of my XITE-1 Mic/DI channels using the PAD.
I used ´em w/ my Kurzweil PC3 and unbalanced cables because the average output level of the PC3 is too low for the rear balanced inputs.

I don´t own any electromagnetic instruments anymore and didn´t try mics because I´m not a singer.

It´s weird it happens on both channels, so it might be normal or a firmware thingy ?

Otherwise my XITE-1 works perfect,- no issues.
When it´s up, it´s up ´til I shut down and it also doesn´t run very hot in my environment.

Bud
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Don't know - I'll have to try - I usually use it on mic input.

Oh, another thing is I pretty much leave this one all the time and have had no issues (I have 1U space above and below).
dawman

Post by dawman »

Bud Weiser wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:I had one slightly dodgy mic preamp channel.
I have a question:

When using the Mic/DI channels for a instrument and using the PAD,- is it normal the channel-gain pots have no impact for the 1st 25% of pot travel, then suddenly the gain jumps to an amount of level making the instrument audible, but,- the next millimeters of pot travel already cause overdrive ?

That happens w/ both of my XITE-1 Mic/DI channels using the PAD.
I used ´em w/ my Kurzweil PC3 and unbalanced cables because the average output level of the PC3 is too low for the rear balanced inputs.

I don´t own any electromagnetic instruments anymore and didn´t try mics because I´m not a singer.

It´s weird it happens on both channels, so it might be normal or a firmware thingy ?

Otherwise my XITE-1 works perfect,- no issues.
When it´s up, it´s up ´til I shut down and it also doesn´t run very hot in my environment.

Bud
Yes.
I use mine for the SE-1 and it is finicky as far as smoothness on the knobs are concerned, but the sound of the mic pre for a synth is really nice for me.
Solaris sounds louder when using them, but sounds better with the AES/EBU I/Os, but a buzzy analog synth sounds really good using the mic pre's. No need for soft clip, or added distortion/tube/valve stuff.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

My runs for aprox. one year now without switching it off, all is fine... :D
djmicron

Post by djmicron »

my xite-1, 2 years of daily use, no problems.