Haswell Laptops From ADK

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Haswell Laptops From ADK

Post by dawman »

ADK laptops with top of the line Haswell CPUs and Express 34 slots will be available in a few months.
I need a large PLAY/Kontakt template (19.8GB's) and Solaris via AES/EBU with an 88 note controller, no more Analog Synths unless absolutely necessary.
This sounds really nice.
garyb

Re: Haswell Laptops From ADK

Post by garyb »

that sounds great!
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Sounds awesome.
Like laying a desktop on it's side :)

G
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well that's what you got with the Hexa i7 thing probably. :wink:

I have 3 x laptops I purchased in the last 3 years for my sons and mother.
Both of the Lenovos worked great but their motherboards were reduced to garbage from the excessive heat that GFX can cause. Personally I don't want that kind of Graphics power, and I surely don't need a really powerful/hot CPU.
The Ivy Bridge was really the CPU that caught my attention.
Flawless operation everyday and night since I built the 1U ATX, and I believe the low temps from the on die GPU is part of this success.
The Haswells run a little hotter, and deliver even better GPU performance (which isn't needed btw) but at stock speeds they have low energy needs, and low heat.
Can't wait to see 32GBs @ DDR3 1600 CAS 9.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

:o .. That top of the line Haswell laptop i'm sure will be a beast and a great compliment for the XITE-1 to make a two headed beast.
Glad it'll be expresscard for sure, I'll definitely be keeping a eye on ADK now to get more details. Great info! That Haswell and XITE-1 combo should last a person 10 years minimum if they wish.
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

So when haswell comes, maybe the laptop im on now would get cheaper, and in that case it might be a hot contender for Xite. Its a Thinkpad W530, i7-3840QM with 36GB RAM and ofcourse an expresscard 34 slot, and utilizing a docking station i have a total of three monitors. PS: Post-it notes must be bought separately.

So keep your eyes open in these haswell-times.
Attachments
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 4631 times
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, there are a number of lappys that should come way down in price in the used market!

by the way, just FWIW, there are almost 10 models from Dell that have Expresscard slots, starting at about $600 and going up to $2500.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wow yuze guyz gave me an idea.
The Dell Vostro 4 the XITE-1 is 519 USD. It has the power to run the XITE-1 and 4GBs of RAM for the OS is all I need.
Then build a short 1U Ivy Bridge Mini ITX w/ 16GBs for Kontakt only since the compressed audio files take up a mere 8.4GBs. It's PLAY that needs the extra RAM and since I ain't playing Wagner I won't miss it.
But could I transfer the audio from Kontakt through some stock mobo Digital outs...?
I can mix in Bidule and I always just use a splash of the Plate X on samples.
No delays and I don't really need gobs of I/Os.
USB MIDI should be enough to play the Mini ITX/Kontakt rig.

Any ideas if this would work...?

I already will need a short ATA case for the XITE-1, so a small 2U won't add any weight.

Might be a great / cheap way to pull this off since I won't need all of the I/Os from Kontakt.
I can even shrink the Project Mixer size as SpaceF has so many great options and mixers to use.

Only need a way to get Video out into the laptops LCD somehow, have no clue for a solution there.
garyb

Post by garyb »

you could setup remote desktop and control the PC with the lappy. it's really easy and then the pc's desktop is seen and accessable on the laptop. there is a slight latency to remote desktop, but it doesn't affect audio. if you put an ADAT card into the PC, you could send 8 or 16 channels to the XITE via ADAT.
dawman

Post by dawman »

The Chassis actually has a way to use a Ribbon with a Horizontal layout like my 1U has.
I have never had a problem with the 1U and the XITE-1 PCI-e 1X connected like that.
RME drivers seem to be everybodys favorite, so I will check them out.
What cables do I need to run a Remote station....HDMI or LAN?
garyb

Post by garyb »

LAN.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well I could get a cheaper laptop, but a stock Haswell from ADK isn't that expensive, and the Mini ITX 1U below is inexpensive to build too.
It's an HDMI Asus Mini ITX, not the over juiced ROG Gamers one.
But stock speed i7 4770S, 16GBs RAM will run just a hair hooter than my Ivy Bridge @ 39C.
Attachments
Travla Mini ITX 1U a.JPG
Travla Mini ITX 1U a.JPG (157.2 KiB) Viewed 4505 times
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Going rme is a smart move.Drivers are simply 100% there! :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

You get what you pay for when it comes to drivers. :wink:
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

dawman wrote:ADK laptops with top of the line Haswell CPUs and Express 34 slots will be available in a few months.
I need a large PLAY/Kontakt template (19.8GB's) and Solaris via AES/EBU with an 88 note controller, no more Analog Synths unless absolutely necessary.
This sounds really nice.
When s it supposed to be out?

G
dawman

Post by dawman »

Everytime he says next Janurary, or a few months, things happen as expected, so it's safe to assume this October/November.
It might correlate with the new Intel CPUs due out in September.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 8099,d.cGE

I really lust for a 32GB Kontakt/Scope laptop rig, but have a 1U Mini ITX and cheap laptop design, ready to build if need be.
Scott could save me a new build with an Ivy Bridge Exp 34 or Haswell Exp 34.
I just don't want an X58 i7 laptop, as that means higher heat, and more power from a GFX add on.

I would have jumped for the ADK 9000, but after using the Ivy Bridge for a while now I know it's 100% stable and runs cool.
Once they're OC'd the heat skyrockets, but stock speeds using 1600 MHz RAM and a pair of OCZ Vertex 4's has been a dream for me.
I should send him my HDDs and ask they be used since I have a 1U and a 4U for back up.
Don't need both of them, probably don't even need 1 back up as I have had zero crashes or stability issues over the years.
They lay retired begging to be summoned for battle.

Check back with ADK a few weeks after the new CPUs are out in September, as it seems this was what they might be waiting for.
The i7-4960HQ CPU seems to be really low energy 22nm with HD5000 GFX.
Kind of XITE'ing stuff.

Check out the TDP below. It's 40% lower than the 3770S that I use in my Supermicro 1U.
Attachments
CPU-Z-Intel-i7-4930MX-benyouhui.png
CPU-Z-Intel-i7-4930MX-benyouhui.png (34.22 KiB) Viewed 4402 times