Input Gain for line level external MIDI keybds-modules etc..

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Input Gain for line level external MIDI keybds-modules etc..

Post by fraz »

Hi,

With 2448 mixer in Xite-1 (could be applicable to Scope Pro also maybe?) there is 24 dB input gain which was nice for my XP80 which could not be heard well with the 16 channel mixer with 12 dB input gain.....

Are there any other Scope / Xite-1 plugins/modules that are used for this purpose in projects????

I'm happy enough I've got a solution for this as I was getting worried........... :-?

Was thinking line level mixer with gain controls.......also......

Any info great please.......thanks
garyb

Re: Input Gain for line level external MIDI keybds-modules e

Post by garyb »

what AD/DA are you using?

can you switch from +4 to -10? the AD/DA is expecting a hotter signal than the consumer line level that come out of a keyboard.

the 2448 is definitely a better mixer in every way than the 1632. i would always use the 2448 over the 1632.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

fraz wrote:Hi,

With 2448 mixer in Xite-1 (could be applicable to Scope Pro also maybe?) there is 24 dB input gain which was nice for my XP80 which could not be heard well with the 16 channel mixer with 12 dB input gain.....

Are there any other Scope / Xite-1 plugins/modules that are used for this purpose in projects????

I'm happy enough I've got a solution for this as I was getting worried........... :-?

Was thinking line level mixer with gain controls.......also......

Any info great please.......thanks
Use a hardware pre-mixer for hardware keys/ modules,- or buy Ferrofish A16mkII allowing individual gain settings for each input channel.
Don´t forget leveling all the patches you have in your keyboards and modules.

Real world output level from keyboards, even specs say -20dB, -10 or +4dB (balanced), vary significantly depending on the patches you use.
My quietest keyboard in my arsenal is a Kurzweil which is +4dB balanced out ... :lol:
All my unbalanced (-20dB) machines have way more output and punch,- the real analog ones and all the gear more than 20 years old.
Out of over 800 factory patches, only 2 handfull meet the specs, all the others are just only carefully programmed by factory programmers who feared overdriving internal FX gain structures when using the internal sequencer in song mode playing back 16 MIDI channels at once,- sick !
Now the average player goes thru hundereds of patches leveling while the dumb home user presses PLAY and hears the demo songs at correct levels.
They know how to sell their crap to the masses.

Bud
fraz

Post by fraz »

garyb wrote:what AD/DA are you using?

can you switch from +4 to -10? the AD/DA is expecting a hotter signal than the consumer line level that come out of a keyboard.

the 2448 is definitely a better mixer in every way than the 1632. i would always use the 2448 over the 1632.
Hi Gary,

The Sonic Core A16 Ultra with the Z-Link option being used - this is the AD/DA for the external synths currently-Can't find the instructions but had a look on the back and there are dip switches that look like they are all in the uppermost position -

There is also a Ferrofish A16 Ultra but this is for another time to discuss....
garyb

Post by garyb »

i happened to find a manual like the kind that all Scope cards and A16s used to come with(same manual for both in the old days).

in the Creamware A16 Ultra(the Sonic|Core A16 Ultra was a rebranded unit), up is professional +4dBu and down is consumer -10dBv.

since the input switches are both up, then all 16 inputs are looking for a much hotter signal, so it's not surprising that you need to add gain.
notice that both inputs and outputs are switchable in groups of 8, A and B. this way, you can use the convertor with several different types of gear....
dante

Post by dante »

fraz wrote:With 2448 mixer in Xite-1 (could be applicable to Scope Pro also maybe?) there is 24 dB input gain which was nice for my XP80 which could not be heard well with the 16 channel mixer with 12 dB input gain.....

If theres a high enough level getting into the box, then this might help :

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20434

Otherwise, you need something external.
fraz

Post by fraz »

I'll read your links soon

Just had a look at the back of the ADDA - there are six dip switches for IN OUT OPT (optical)

They are all in the up position- Is this the best position for them? - I don't understand what these do-Obviously up does one thing and downward direction would do something else---- EDIT ---- Gary b answered the question - up is the pro louder level so I'll just leave that...

I did think of a line level mixer but it will take up 1U rack space minimum - ----I'll work something out ---
Last edited by fraz on Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

dante wrote:
fraz wrote:With 2448 mixer in Xite-1 (could be applicable to Scope Pro also maybe?) there is 24 dB input gain which was nice for my XP80 which could not be heard well with the 16 channel mixer with 12 dB input gain.....

If theres a high enough level getting into the box, then this might help :

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20434

Otherwise, you need something external.
I downloaded this device thanks :) ----
garyb

Post by garyb »

the proper setting is the one thayt matches what you put into it. "pro" is not better, it's just the level of balanced studio and broadcast gear.

synths are consumer level out. it would be best to set either 1-8 or 9-16 input dip switches DOWN for synths. you can always change it back.
you could also just line with having to add lots of gain. you'll get a better analog to digital conversion if the levels match, however.
fraz

Post by fraz »

I've swapped the position of the switches I don't know or can't tell if this has had a beneficial effect or not.

Using the scope mixers with input gain there are 24db if cranked up - This has helped to blend the external MIDI with the Scope/Xite synths and the VSTi's.

Is there anything wrong tech wise with having input gain at max for the line level?

I've not yet tried the gizmo that one of the crowd here kindly left a link to but its been downloaded for later use. Also the MIDI synths have had their volume level turned up.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not really a problem. it's actually better if the inputs of the convertor are sent to -10 instead of +4 because you'll get a little better conversion, since the levels will match, but it's not a life or death issue. turning up the gain works fine.
dawman

Post by dawman »

This works really well for a boost.
MasterGain48dB.rar
(235.28 KiB) Downloaded 140 times