Express Card

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

tgstgs

Re: Express Card

Post by tgstgs »

toshiba tecra works very nice with solidstatedrives and amd radeon;
a netgear router connectin //wlan laptop //with cable lan desktop //with android wlan touchscreens //with storagesharepointdrive;
8-10 hours per day since more than a year now;
still very quiet compared to my hp laptop_
price was about 800 - 900 euro should be 500 -600 now_

good vibes
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I've got a new HP Elitebook Win7 64bit around 500-600USD up and running for a month now and no problems other than a buggy fingerprint reader which I promptly disabled. Unortunately it did not come with an HDMI out port which comes in handy if you want to connect to a nice big HD TV.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Well the express card will be on its way shortly-----so will the star tech adapter that may not work on a laptop without an express card port-----those manufacturers should be more considerate----- :lol:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

sharc wrote:
fraz wrote:Out of interest how many laptops come with the necessary express connection?
A few 'recent' laptops with expresscard:

Lenovo - ThinkPad L530, X230 & X230t

HP - ProBook 6475b, 6570b & EliteBook 8560W

Dell Latitude E5530, E6220 & Precision M6700

Toshiba Tecra R940-1CW

Alienware M18x

Panasonic Toughbook CF-53

Thanks for posting this list Sharc! I'm sure i'll be referring back to it soon.
sharc

Post by sharc »

Sounddesigner wrote:Thanks for posting this list Sharc! I'm sure i'll be referring back to it soon.
No worries. It's by no means a complete list. More of an indication that there are still plenty of options with expresscard slot from various manufacturers.

If you're thinking of buying one of those I listed though, don't be put off by some of the higher prices. The Dell Precision M6700 for instance can be picked up a lot cheaper if you shop around.
sharc

Post by sharc »

...It's also worth checking for B-Stock on the previous model in some cases. Just make sure you check the processor model. i7 means nothing if it's a 1st gen which is now nearly five years old.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

sharc wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:Thanks for posting this list Sharc! I'm sure i'll be referring back to it soon.
No worries. It's by no means a complete list. More of an indication that there are still plenty of options with expresscard slot from various manufacturers.
It's nice to see many laptops with expresscard slots still being released out here; I guess "The rumours of expresscard's demise have been greatly exaggerated" :) .

Expresscard still seems like the best protocol ATM. I've yet to see a 'true' Thunderbolt interface confirmed yet. Not in any form but in particular not for DSP. I know the UA Apollo is'nt true Thunderbolt since its running off Firewire protocol threw thunderbolt connection for its audio I/O's, thus has very high Round-Trip-Latency like other Firewire interfaces. Of course it was marketed as thunderbolt and fooled many people :D .

EDITED
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

I think you are smart enough :)
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
dawman

Post by dawman »

If I could ever replace the sound of my SE-1s I would get a laptop as I am already tired of lugging around my 4U. Hell I was lugging 28U around, went to 16U then figured after years of being an Agent, Roadie, Performer/Juke box the 4U would be the last stop for me but I was wrong.
So now that I have seen laptops working great for the XBox going on 3+ years now I think it's time for the Sandy E laptop from Scottys Music.
Too bad there's no such thing as a VSTi synth that sounds as good as this ancient rackmount.
I have tried the most expensive, the cheapest and they can do great things I guess, but they can't sound as good as real subtractive hardware still. Maybe in 20 more years.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... iiPW3tdOig

What a speed demon and RAM Pig this baby is.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, there it is.

once Jim's lappy is his main squeeze, i'll know that the laptop's day is really here! :lol:
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote:If I could ever replace the sound of my SE-1s ...
Maybe using Minimax and/or Solaris for the leads and a MOOG Minitaur for the low end is a good compromize ?
dawman wrote: I think it's time for the Sandy E laptop from Scottys Music.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... iiPW3tdOig

What a speed demon and RAM Pig this baby is.
These are great laptops and Sandy Bridge E (socket 2011) is the best choice also for rackmounts IMO.
I wonder how they do the cooling inside that laptop for Sandy Bridge E quad and hex core models.
Small form factor of a laptop is tempting, but the investment is high ...
I went thru the configurator and the result was over 3.700.- bucks,- no SSDs.
I´d schlep a 3 or 4HU rackmount and save money,- just my personal decision.

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Actually I am building an SE-1X replica in Modular IV. The fact that Silenway Suite is the source of all Modulation might just work, and not to overlook credit where credit is due, Flexors' Filters, especially the Multi Mode.
I have an example patch from RoyT using Interlace Oscillators, and Terrain Oscillators that gives me the snap of Analog Envelopes, and Depth of Modulation from SWS LFOs.
It's super punchy.
It just might work.
If not a laptop, the new LianLi MINI ITX Case looks great, and since I don't need a large LCD for gigs it might be perfect.
My only beef is I don't like Laptop Motherboards. I have seen laptops under 24/7 use for gaming, and the motherboards have a tough time lasting more than a couple years under high heat.
But the XBox seems to not tax the CPU and RAM as much as a DAW w/ VSTi's and games do.
Nice to have options and choices though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 3060,d.eWU

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7078/buil ... asus-video
fraz

Post by fraz »

The express card arrived the other day - tomorrow I'll try out the adapter to see if it works or not with this non-express card laptop----

It doesn't matter if it doesn't work but would be incredible if it does........
fraz

Post by fraz »

the scope hardware could not be found using the USB adapter- The 64 bit of Xite software was installed on a windows 7 64 bit machine-----

That's it I'm afraid unless you guys think the 32 bit version will work-----which it probably wouldn't......

If I need to use Xite with laptop I'd have to get another machine which at the moment I don't need.....

Do you folks here think laptops will continue to be available with express card ports........?