The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ditykman

Xite, rack and heat

Post by Ditykman »

Hello all,

I have got the xite for one year now
I'have got a rack 2U where there is the xite and a 1U converter
I've put a fan at the back of the rack (little one)
I think when the xite is busy, there is heat and I've got violation protection messages

It is from the heat this kind of message?
How do you do with the heat?
Can I damage the xite if there is to much heat?
What can I do to stabilize the xite for live for exemple

Thank you all
and xite the life

Ditykman
dawman

Re: Xite, rack and heat

Post by dawman »

I use mine live in a confined 4U, and while the 1U PC is well ventillated, the XITE-1 is not ventillated.
But I had the XITE-1 in a 16U packed with no bevntillation, and while the XITE-1 is rather hot to touch it has never had a problem, so I am not sure what you might be seeing.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Thank you
So for you I don't need tu put a fan at the back of the rack
The heat is normal ?
Ok so I will test to see

thank you for your answer

Your Solaris music is good!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Ditykman wrote:Thank you
So for you I don't need tu put a fan at the back of the rack
The heat is normal ?
I leaved a 1HU ventilation blind panel (w/ slits in front) above my XITE-1.
Below the XITE-1 there´s a unit 19" wide but behind that panel, it´s only 1/3 of that width,- so there´s good ventilation.
Below this unit, there´s a 19" MIDI interface which is very short (depth),- then comes my AD/DA converter which is much deeper.
None of the units runs very hot,- I can touch XITE-1´s front panel all the time and even it runs for hrs or a day.
I have the 4U computer and a 2HU phones amp in that rack too.

So, leave space above and below XITE-1.
It also depends on how much heat is been produced by the other units in the rack and the temperature in the room or outdoor,- or if direct sunlight and/or stagelights beam on your rig or not.

When you´re living in a hot area (I don´t) and do festivals and/or touring w/ large light rigs,- I´d use fans in addition to get hot air out of the racks (not blowing hot air into the racks).

Many here say XITE runs very hot and I trust these guys,- so yes, the heat is normal.

Bud
dante

Post by dante »

Not much heat at all from XITE-1D. Wanna trade ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Do you use a laptop or desktop PC? If the cable is disconnected even a little, then I get protection violation messages. This is especially true on the laptop...the express card is pretty sensitive.

Maybe it's not the heat, and maybe the cable or card is moved a little? (Just a theory).

Also, make sure that there Power Shutdown is disabled for any PCIe cards or ExpressCard slots. This is done through windows, or your BIOS. If the cards are told to go to sleep, it doesn't work well with SCOPE.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

I have this 2U gator bag which hosts the xite-1 and pcm91. I noticed xite can get very hot when using a couple of hours, but I havent had any problems containing communication errors etc. So for now, it works just fine, but I want to buy a SBK 4U so I can put in an 19" cooler (and a Clavia G2 engine eventually :)). This might also be a better option for quickly changing cables from my mobile setup to my "normal" pc setup in my studio upstairs. At this moment I have little space in the bag for this, so changing cables is a bit annoying.
xite mobile klein.jpg
xite mobile klein.jpg (87.13 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Thank you all

So the heat isn't the probleme
THe copy violation message is more apparent on my laptop
the cable or the express card I need do more investigation
and this afternoon I'have played whithout ventilation and without problem
so the heat isn't the probleme
Thank you for this information

I have put all the power shutdown off
and we will see

So ok

and xite the life!!!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Have a blast, for as soon as all little problems disappear, it's a 100% stable pleasure for years.
In May 2013, it will be 4 years of 6 nights a week, and then during downtime the XBox goes where I go....eats what I eat.....drinks what I drink, and sleeps under my alarm clock.

Nice Rig RP001. I know the PCM91 has to be fun in an AUX. I have been using the lower SNR PCM70 and enjoying it.
spacef

Post by spacef »

are you sure it is not static electricity ?
i have this in winther when i open the window and when it is cold, and put something metallic on the rack top. it usually kills xite (because cold = more static electricty accumulating).
Not such problem in "normal" temprature.
For me it is not xite, but static electricity in the metallic rack, cabling etc etc.
It is much better now that i redid completely the cabling and electricty "mapping" (where to plug what).
I still experienced this when it was colder this winter (which lasts long).
my hdmi cables are tight, and like, HD and all as specified and better.
i blame it on magnetism ;-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website