Scope as mixing environment for MASCHINE (latency?)

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

hiddenvariable

Scope as mixing environment for MASCHINE (latency?)

Post by hiddenvariable »

I know this is a SCOPE question, but I'm hoping to limit
answers to performance on XITE(D).

I enjoy using NI's Maschine HW in a real-time performance
manner. However, if I'm using it inside a DAW and start
to add plugins to individual channels, the increased latency
really takes the enjoyment away as I try to compensate for
a near beat-length (or bar-length) delay.

So, I'm considering the possibility of XITE-D as a live mixing
environment for Maschine, hoping the increased latency is
at most in the single digit ms. So, 16 channels with potential
delay, EQ, reverb, etc.

Added benefit is Maschine can also work as a sequencer, so
I could trigger Modular IV.

Qs:
Anyone using Maschine in this manner? (No additional DAW, just
stand-alone)

How is the performance, how does it feel?

Is it possible to route the Maschine thru the Modular IV?
petal

Re: Scope as mixing environment for MASCHINE (latency?)

Post by petal »

I think it could work.
I don't own a Maschine myself, but I just looked at the specs of it and I can't see why it shouldn't work the way you describe you want it to.
You will need a windows laptop with pci-express to run the scope software though, scope doesn't run on mac, yet - soon they say though...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

As long as Machine (in stand-alone) can have multiple channels of ASIO out, it should work fine. SCOPE can easily handle 64 mono ASIO channels. And effects will add latency, but your talking on the level of a couple of samples, not a couple of milliseconds ;) The Mixers can correct phase also, so mixing dry and wet signals (using effects within scope) sounds far more stellar than most other mixers (since the transients don't fight each other, particularly on drums).

I run Ableton as a drum machine, with all channels sent separately to SCOPE for mixing. So it's a similar method as you would like for Machine. The channel separation, transient response, and mixing are stellar. Then add effects, or build your own in modular, and you are gold ;) The scope mixers even allow you to do some full mix side-chain comp'ing, too.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

As I understand your request, you intend to use the XITE as a processing tool for Maschine sounds. That means you would get this type of schem:

Maschine > Scope XITE processing > Scope XITE audio out

In such a way, the XITE would behave just like a fancy hardware FX processor with Maschine sound fed through direct digital connexion to the XITE used as a sound card with inline processing capabilities.

In case you want to record the output, you just need to route back the output to your DAW.
hiddenvariable

Post by hiddenvariable »

petal wrote: You will need a windows laptop with pci-express to run the scope software though, scope doesn't run on mac, yet - soon they say though...
I have a rack PC I built about 4 years ago, but at the time it was tops.
Enough to run Maschine fast. SSD drives, ram, and PCIe. Not using
it for anything else, it's just laying in the corner. So good here!
jksuperstar wrote:The Mixers can correct phase also, so mixing dry and wet signals (using effects within scope) sounds far more stellar than most other mixers (since the transients don't fight each other, particularly on drums).
Sounds nice! Just to be clear, is it phase correction for aux send/fx, or phase
analysis and correction across multiple mixer channels?
HUROLURA wrote: Maschine > Scope XITE processing > Scope XITE audio out

In such a way, the XITE would behave just like a fancy hardware FX processor with Maschine sound fed through direct digital connexion to the XITE used as a sound card with inline processing capabilities.

In case you want to record the output, you just need to route back the output to your DAW.
Yes, exactly this. I'd take the audio outs into a mixer or another A/D convertor
on a separate computer/DAW.

> > >

Well, thanks for the responses!
This really does seem to be a hot-rod solution, all things considered.
The DSP power is there... off to check the talent (code).
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

hiddenvariable wrote:
Yes, exactly this. I'd take the audio outs into a mixer or another A/D convertor
on a separate computer/DAW.
Do not forget, you aso have digital outputs on the Xite-1 either stereo AES/EBU or ADAT, in case you have the pairing input on your mixer or seperate computer/DAW ...
astroman

Post by astroman »

hiddenvariable wrote:
jksuperstar wrote:The Mixers can correct phase also, so mixing dry and wet signals (using effects within scope) sounds far more stellar than most other mixers (since the transients don't fight each other, particularly on drums).
Sounds nice! Just to be clear, is it phase correction for aux send/fx, or phase
analysis and correction across multiple mixer channels? ...
it's a (manual) channel control of the 2448 and 96 mixers - you can delay the channel for up to 128 samples
which allows very precise alignments with external gear down to the level of converter hardware latency

in Scope you're not limited to traditional aux send/fx - in fact I never ever used them
(for me) it's easier to control such stuff with a couple of micro-mixers building my own busses in routing window

cheers, Tom