Xite-1 + Xite-1 + Xite-1 +...???

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ego

Xite-1 + Xite-1 + Xite-1 +...???

Post by Ego »

Hi all! I want to become the owner of Xite-1, so there is only one question: is it possible to boost the DSP power of rice system by Xite-1 + Xite-1 + Xite-1 +...?
Many thanks!
petal

Re: Xite-1 + Xite-1 + Xite-1 +...???

Post by petal »

The Xite has been been prepared for it in the future, but the option hasn't been unleashed yet - so, no - not yet, and there is no word out about when we can expect to see this.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Ego wrote:Hi all! I want to become the owner of Xite-1, so there is only one question: is it possible to boost the DSP power of rice system by Xite-1 + Xite-1 + Xite-1 +...?
Many thanks!
You cannot cascade several XITE-1's together yet, but i believe it will be allowed in the future. Keep in mind the XITE-1 is a VERY powerfull dsp box so i doubt most users need more than one unit at the moment. I know the UAD Apollo interface now allows for 2 units to be combined for more power but even 2 Apollo's is 'technically' not as powerfull as 1 XITE-1 (you need almost 3 Apollo quads to equal the power of 1 XITE-1). XITE-1 is the most powerful portable dsp unit and second most powerfull single unit dsp platform altogether when considering GFLOPS. Sonic Core designed XITE-1 to be so powerfull in its beginning so that there would be no need to rush the ability to combine several units for more power i'm sure. Combine a XITE-1 with a good powerful modern i7 computer and power, flrxibility and versatility are virtually unlimited.

Most users will need only one unit i'm sure. 1 XITE-1 will get more powerfull as software get optimised and designed specifically for its dsp's. Right now we have'nt fully gotten all the power out of one unit yet that we should get. The day is comming when several XITE-1's will need to be cascadeable for more dsp power (i believe and hope that day is 'soon'.) but i don't believe that need has arrived yet, atleast not for the overwhelming majority of users imo.

PS. You may wanna try 1 unit before assuming you need more power.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ego

Post by Ego »

Thank you gentlemen for the quick help!
I was surprised by some of the messages (not far away), which Xite-1 is helpless at 96 kHz.
petal

Post by petal »

Not helpless, quite a few devices works flawlessly.
When I first got my XITE, I tried to run it at 96KhZ, and in some situations, depending on which devices you load, it works, but in the end I went back to running the system at 48Khz/24Bit, because it simply creates less problems.
I am looking forward to Scope 6 though, hoping Soniccore will by then have optimized the software, so we can have a "normal" uninterrupted workflow at 96Khz if one desires so.
Ego

Post by Ego »

petal wrote: I am looking forward to Scope 6 though, hoping Soniccore will by then have optimized the software, so we can have a "normal" uninterrupted workflow at 96Khz if one desires so.

Ok, thank you!
But is it possible to optimize the software without compromising the sound quality? Earlier, I was sure that all DAW is not enough power resources that are running the software. It may be better to use a more powerful and modern DSP's?Or is coming soon Xite-2?
petal

Post by petal »

Yes it is possible to optimize the software without compromizing the sound quality. SCOPE has existed for 10-15 years, the XITE has existed for 4 years now I think it is. So it's more a problem of, not all of the software that comes with the XITE, has been optimized for the XITE yet. A lot of the devices were designed for the older PCI-DSP boards, a different DSP environment.

The XITE is plenty powerful as it is, I would not expect an XITE-2 anytime soon.

I will say this though, given the history of the development pace of SCOPE, if 96Khz is essential for you, then at least you should wait and see what happens before you buy. Running 96Khz on the XITE is simply not "problem"-free yet in all scenarios, and soniccore has made no promises of actually making it possible to run 96 Khz without making a lot of compromises.

Even though SCOPE 6 was announced a year ago, it has not been released yet, and we don't know when it will come out. It could easily be one more year. All we know is that they are working on it.

If you can live with running your studio at 48Khz/24Bit though, then the XITE might be a good option for you.
Ego

Post by Ego »

petal wrote:Yes it is possible to optimize the software without compromizing the sound quality. SCOPE has existed for 10-15 years, the XITE has existed for 4 years now I think it is. So it's more a problem of, not all of the software that comes with the XITE, has been optimized for the XITE yet. A lot of the devices were designed for the older PCI-DSP boards, a different DSP environment.

The XITE is plenty powerful as it is, I would not expect an XITE-2 anytime soon.

I will say this though, given the history of the development pace of SCOPE, if 96Khz is essential for you, then at least you should wait and see what happens before you buy. Running 96Khz on the XITE is simply not "problem"-free yet in all scenarios, and soniccore has made no promises of actually making it possible to run 96 Khz without making a lot of compromises.

Even though SCOPE 6 was announced a year ago, it has not been released yet, and we don't know when it will come out. It could easily be one more year. All we know is that they are working on it.

If you can live with running your studio at 48Khz/24Bit though, then the XITE might be a good option for you.

Very useful post.
Thanks a lot!
I do not see a problem even with the 44.1 kHz(However, until I hear).
But there is always the fear that hearing 96kHz, will never have an incentive to go back to 48 ...
dante

Post by dante »

I'm able to run a mixer and a couple of mastering plugins on the lower powered XITE-1D :

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_09/xit_mast.htm

People seem to forget that whilst they can talk about scenarios where 96Khz is a problem for XITE, that there are also scenarios where it's not a problem.
Ego

Post by Ego »

Hi Dante!
Thanks for the link, now I am calm.
I do not plan to use Xite-1 with Cubase.
I plan to use Xite-1 with Fairlight Xynergi.
Do you have any information about this hardware configuration?
Thanks!
Last edited by Ego on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ego

Post by Ego »

One more question:
Is it possible that the current version of the Xite-1 will not be able to increase the capacity by increasing the number of the Xite-1?
I want to explain the reason for my interest in the matter:
Previously, I could not find for sale on the secondary market any system Xite-1.
Today I have four offers about $ 3,000, and with a set of paid plugins. Maybe I do not know any news about Xite-2?
Thanks!
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Ego wrote:Maybe I do not know any news about Xite-2?
If there would exist a XITE-2, we´d see it @NAMM actually,- so there isn´t.

Bud
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

There is no xite-2

Xite1 and xite-d have tons of DSP power that can only get better optimized from here on into the future.

G
Ego

Post by Ego »

Good news!
Last edited by Ego on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ego

Post by Ego »

Bud Weiser wrote:
Ego wrote:Maybe I do not know any news about Xite-2?
If there would exist a XITE-2, we´d see it @NAMM actually,- so there isn´t.

Bud
Hey. Since I can not but agree!
But at Namm show it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VKYU4W1mqs
A few years ago, it has already been implemented by Harrison (only on chips AMD). Harrison X-RANGE
You know what I think about this?They never win SonicCore DSP engine!
Probably why some people decide to leave Sonic Core.
In vain ...
dawman

Post by dawman »

petal wrote:Not helpless, quite a few devices works flawlessly.
When I first got my XITE, I tried to run it at 96KhZ, and in some situations, depending on which devices you load, it works, but in the end I went back to running the system at 48Khz/24Bit, because it simply creates less problems.
I am looking forward to Scope 6 though, hoping Soniccore will by then have optimized the software, so we can have a "normal" uninterrupted workflow at 96Khz if one desires so.
100% ++++++ agreement with this.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/searc ... rd=toslink to analog

These with a hardware Analog Multi Filter modulated by Silentway Suite 2.1 into Modular Shells using their fierce array of Oscillators and FX is my way forward.
I can have large Modular synth designs now w/o spending 8k.
But I agree, my disease could spread into other units but in all honesty just going to 48k and listening to Patches and Synths operating at 96k isn't noticable, but going from 44.1k to 48k using TosLink and AES/EBU is VERY noticable....
dawman

Post by dawman »

Waves have designed a nice custom OS using an i5 but this is more of a Pro Tools tool than a realtime hardware solution.
FWIW, everyone at UAD, Avid, NI, Yamaberg, etc. all go where the grass is greener.
They get hired to subcontract their coding and it has never been a full time job.

Their work is very important though, and in my next life I want to be a DSP Coder.
10k a month ain't bad. I have to do 8-10 gigs a week for that but after a few months need a break, which is why I would be a great coder, except I am a pendaejo who barely connects Scope modules w/o making mistakes.
I could actually fuck up a steel ball.