Newbie questions 4 purchasing

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

doktorfuture

Newbie questions 4 purchasing

Post by doktorfuture »

Hi there. Been reading the forums for a while now. Wondering if some questions could be answered:

a) Does Nova Musik carry the XITE-1?
b) Anyone know how much it costs to buy it in Canada (from a Canadian distributor)? I'm Canadian. I went on Sonic Core's site, but their Canadian distributors (in fact, most of their North American distributors) make no mention of the XITE-1 on their web site. That's really odd to me. You'd think their distributors would update their web site with current products. Some distributors still call it 'Creamware', not Sonic Core.
c) Are there any ways to get lots of AES/EBU outputs? I use no ADAT in my studio, but have 64 channels of AES/EBU and lots of digital gear. Alternately, any cost effective ADAT to AES/EBU converters?
d) I see these 'Z-Link' interfaces. For the A/D's they sell, would they use one or two Z-link ports? That is, how many inputs can you get to with their interfaces?
e) There's that TDM port. What's it for? Can one stack multiple XITE-1?
f) Is there a compatibility list of what works with the XITE-1 and what doesn't, to help a new user navigate and search for 3rd party plugs that work that aren't in their somewhat overpriced online store.
g) If I buy one of these things now, would I get a free upgrade to Modular 4? (my real reason for buying it ;)
h) Can someone send me a list of free DSP plugins that work on it?

Not related to my purchasing, but would be good to know:

1) Is OS / X really going to be supported in the future? In a Wine emulator or what? Creamware announced this years ago, and I'm wondering why some XITE-1 web sites say MAC is supported. Very confusing.
2) Any idea when 64 bit operating systems would be supported? One would think you'd just create a 64 bit driver that only moved 32 bits of data to the 32 bit application, but apparently this is not the case. I'd have to buy another computer (32 bit) to run this (not really a problem, but heat and noise is a problem).
3) I read a lot about 'DSP' optimization and out of resources. This has to do with old plugins right? Do some of the old plugins run on the new DSP's? Or do they just map to the old DSP's? I thought the old DSP's were there for compatability, but it seems things are more complicated. Any advice or see (f) above would be helpful. Just clue me in if you can! :)

THANKS!

(This will be added to my Pacarana, H8000fw, and other digital gear).
dawman

Re: Newbie questions 4 purchasing

Post by dawman »

I will try and answer the DSP optimization question, but it is really called assigning the DSP's in the XITE-1.
The old chips were there for compatability's sake, but not long ago I was told certain Plug Ins might be used there. So far VDAT, VRC-S and VRC-128 can go to DSP 2 of the old chips. Some of us here really like the speed and ease of VDAT. I used Tape for so long the pre roll and all of the other ancient tricks make me confortable until I find a soft sequencer I like. I have tried 2 and each has it's strengths but I still don't have one I prefer over hardware sequencing yet.
There isn't a list yet but it seems the XITE-1's all have the same troubles with certain plugs and the Scope 5 users are a mixed and confusing batch probably due to configurations, etc.
A list is a good idea, I wish I had the time.
But I did spend a few weeks testing all of the plugs so if you have a wish listm you can ask me.
I admire Carla Scarletti for the work on Kyma-X software and the hardware they have updated. I am envious for anyone with a Scope/Kyma rig. The Eventide is also a sweet piece of kit. I use hardware still and the Eclipse does me just fine.
I believe you would be the first here to use the 2 most innovative DSP platforms available.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

NovaMusik has one in stock...ready for immediate delivery...
Modular IV is only 99 euro if you have Mod III (which comes with XITE-1)
TDM in the back, is for further expansion (probably joining more than 1 XITE together)
OSX & 64 bit will be released in a short period of time...no Wine needed...
Eventually the old plugs will be optimized for XITE

and the stock OEM devs are listed as such...actually quite a bit for what you get for the money...

# Mixing: STM2448, STM4896, STM 48 S, STM 1632, STM 16 S, Dynamic Mixer, Micromixer, Channel, Meterbridge, ControlRoom
# Reverb: MasterVerb Pro, MasterVerb, MasterVerb Classic, Early Reflector
# Dynamics: Compressor, Limiter, Gate, Expander
# Filter: GraphEQ, Parametric EQ, 4-Pole Filter, High Cut Filter, Low Cut Filter, DC Filter, MIDIPole Filter
# Chorus: Chorus, 4-Tap Chorus, Harmonic Chorus, Hexa Chorus, Master Chorus
# Flanger: Flanger, Harmonic Flanger, Master Flanger, Space Flanger, Random Flanger, Step Flanger
# Phaser: Phaser, SSB Phaser, SSB Modulator, SSB Mod Delay
# Delay: Delay, Ducking Delay, Pattern Delay, Multi Tap Delay, Delay LCR, Delay Long, Dual Delay Long
# Mastering: Dither Shaper, Stereo Expander, Softclip, Spectral Balance Control
# Distortion: Distortion, Overdrive, Tube Drive, TQ Drive, Resonator
# Modulation: AutoPan, AutoWah, Tremolo, MIDI Tremolo
# Tools: AuxRack, MultiFX, Deesser, Ducker
# SpecialFX: Vocoder III, Ringmodulator, Pitchshifter
# Synthesizer: SB404, Poison, EDS 16i, EDS 8i, BlueSynth, EZSynth, miniscope, U KNOW 007, Vectron Player, Inferno, Lightwave, Prisma, Arpeg01
# Sampler: STS-2000P, STS-3000, STS-4000
Joel
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

As for the XTDM port, judging by the older dsp cards i suspect this port will be used to connect several XITE's at some point. That is speculation but it only makes sense to me. But the XITE-1 is very powerfull as a single unit, i don't think the vast majority who use it at this point would be underpowered anytime soon (especially if your using kyma, etc aswell :o :o ), but combining several XITE-1's will be necessary in the future imo. The only reasons i can think of for the XTDM Ports are for i/o extensions and combining several xite's and ofcourse both but i don't have the official answer, just educated guess.

As for third party plugins that are compatible with XITE-1: I have alot of older third party plugins that work fine on XITE-1, There are a couple i do have problems with tho, but most work well. you'll need to post a list of the plugins your interested in and we'll be able to help better. There are many nice freebies floating around i'm sure someone here has a long list for you. Also know the included stock plugins have alot of jewels that will keep you busy for a long time to come. i never used any program with better stock plugins then SCOPE (Minimax, Vectron, Modular 3, Optimaster, VDAT, B2003 organ, P100/A100/cd100/i100 reverbs, Vinco, Profit 5, etc). Modular is my favorite but there are many jewels in the stock plugins.

Windows 7 x64 beta for SCOPE iirc was suppose to be released last week, so if that's the case then any day now it should come. Very very soon.

The a16 adds an additional 16 i/o's, i think up to 2 can be connected to XITE-1. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

EDITED:
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

netguyjoel wrote: Modular IV is only 99 euro if you have Mod III (which comes with XITE-1)
Hem... I'm not sure of that, do you have some information ? Mod IV is on the shop for 198€... And there is no update yet.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

The price is right. I paid 150 USD and it's becasue of Mod II & III, it's considered an update.
This is a steal for what you get, and for a BETA it is usable immediately.
Only a couple of minor issues, no showstoppers.
I have used it live for a week now and love the fast presets and new sounds.
I am actually building a synth that will go from preset to preset with any choice of Oscillator, effect or filter per preset. Polyphony per preset, mono or duo Legato, unison stacking, etc.
This pretty much means not only do I have new Osc's Filters and effects per preset, but an entirely different synth with Mono or poly....
I am truly stoked, and IMHO Modular is THE reason to upgrade to an XITE-1.
For recording it isn't critical as re takes and dubs can be a work around, but for a Giant Modular solution, this is the King............
I can honestly say that my SE-1x's might be retiring very soon.
I can get the thickest low end and yes it requires 3 x Oscillators and some Unison stacking but I am getting really close.
The Filters are just not Analog and I am looking at a CV controlled 1U dual filter from a Pro Modular system just in case the external CV connections become a reality.
But I am the only jerk who notices this. Most guys hear my Tom Sawyer OBX-a split patch and are impressed. I do hear the difference though. Wish I wasn't so spoiled from real Analog gear..
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

I've built a large analog modular (~100 modules) out of Modcan, Metalbox, Blacet, and Wiard. Nothing digital sounds close to it. But then I went hybrid and feed the digital into the analog and vice versa. It's immensely immense what comes out.

I had custom converters made by JCF Audio to capture it all. I figure, get the best Analog, and the best Digital, with the best converters and monitors, in the best room (still working on the last bit) and you can realize pretty much anything you imagine quickly.
XITE-1/4LIVE wrote: I am truly stoked, and IMHO Modular is THE reason to upgrade to an XITE-1.
For recording it isn't critical as re takes and dubs can be a work around, but for a Giant Modular solution, this is the King............
I can honestly say that my SE-1x's might be retiring very soon.
I can get the thickest low end and yes it requires 3 x Oscillators and some Unison stacking but I am getting really close.
The Filters are just not Analog and I am looking at a CV controlled 1U dual filter from a Pro Modular system just in case the external CV connections become a reality.
dawman

Post by dawman »

You're killing me...... :o
You need to help me out when the time comes,
Would love to see a pic of that big beast....
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

While the other geniuses are building out mondo-mod-synth configurations, I'm heading initially towards live tracking and mixing. Xite is a studio in a rack.
The extra I/O you already have will make Xite a grand extension of your system.

re: optimization - for the modules/devices that Soniccore have already spacial-ized for easier/faster DSP distribution, things work like a charm. For yet-to-be-configured older devices, you still have to go in and manually assign. At least at this point there IS this option. In the future DSP distribution will be more automated.

There's a nightmarish amount of firmware and code running through this thing, and they've still only scratched the surface.

While guys start building out the Mod synths and similar rigs, there is probably (assumedly) someone plotting and scheming to build a mondo reverb and/or delay scheme that could upstage the big/expensive Lexicons or Eventides for a fraction of the price - with all the extras still included as a bonus.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

Not anymore! It's being shipped to me express! :)
netguyjoel wrote:NovaMusik has one in stock...ready for immediate delivery...
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Congrats!!!! Check PM!
Joel
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:But I did spend a few weeks testing all of the plugs so if you have a wish listm you can ask me.
Thanks for the offer. Could you help with a list of plugs or websites to check out? As a new user to this system (I ordered an Xite-1 today from Nova Musik), it's kind of difficult to understand the community and what's available and what works/doesn't.

One would think someone would have a registry database of devices (is that what they're called?) or a web site that's up to date or something, and which are working with the XITE-1. Like, it took me 15 minutes to find the Wolf Audio Mixer web site mentioned in this forum. Try searching for 'wolf mixer sonic core', 'wolf mixer dsp', etc... Had to do 'wolf mixer dsp creamware'. I guess I just don't know what I'm missing.

Could you, or others, suggest some places for me to check out? I'll buy the Adern stuff, maybe some of the John Bowen synths. What other module makers are there besides Adern?

Is there any real time impulse-convolution for the platform?

Cheers!
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Definitely check out Celmo stuff. His spring reverb is very impressive. Tape echo Sim, and Blue-Wave are nice and definitely worth checking out. Aswell as other plugins. Here's a link -
http://www.celmo.com/download_page.htm

Wolfs kompressor and 3d panner are nice. Just to name a few.

It is difficult to see what's all available for SCOPE since there is no place where all developers and devices are listed, everything seems a bit scattered, but you can get most of what you need to from asking here at PZ.

All of the plugins above i mentioned work on XITE-1 and are at good prices.
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
RP_001

Post by RP_001 »

Congratulations with your Xite!

Definately worth checking;

http://www.spacef-devices.com/
http://www.zargmusic.com/

You can try a demo of almost all devices, you wont be disappointed :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

Start here first for your collection of freebies.
http://www.youngmusic.at/

You just dropped a few large, so catch your breath and have fun with these.
Then pm me or catch me somewhere else with specific questions.
I am always working on new stuff and love older stuff.
Some older stuff like PTantis verbs usually use the old preset list. In the XITE-1 it shows up as a new device with the XITE-1 preset list.
So there are several tricks I have learned since last April/May.

Here's a new SpaceF Mixer not out yet but is made for the LBH-X and it is quite awesome.
Before you buy anything check with me, or some other XITE-1 geek as there are some devices that aren't up to snuff yet.....
untitled1.JPG
untitled.JPG
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

new mixer = yummy...

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Fluxpod

Post by Fluxpod »

Good to see i could stir a bit of interrest for mod 4 and xite on gearslutz :D
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ordered mine yesterday with the 6DSP Project card trade in. Will email SC now and find out what to do next. :)

Now I just need to order Modular IV and the Expresscard.

Cheers all for the advice on this and other related threads
doktorfuture

Post by doktorfuture »

Thanks!
Fluxpod wrote:Good to see i could stir a bit of interrest for mod 4 and xite on gearslutz :D
doktorfuture

Fast shipping from Nova Musik

Post by doktorfuture »

Wow, shipping was fast from Nova Musik. Ordered yesterday, came today (express shipping). I've got it all installed, awaiting key file. Hopefully they'll send it tomorrow. Wish it came with one.

Some observations:

Hardware looks good and feels solid. Buttons could have a bit more resistance to push, but a niggle. Knobs feel solid. The power jack could feel a bit more 'snug' in its socket. Software installed smoothly, don't know if it works yet.

I like how the installer makes you check each module you wish to add. It draws your attention to the value of the devices.

The CD they sent with the product was blank. Had the Sonic Core text with versions and and such on it, but had nothing on it. No worries really, as I'd always download the latest off the web site.

I think the system should come with some sort of key file or demo to start with, or online/software assisted registration. I mean, you have the hardware. That should count for something. It's a bit of a buzz killer. In an ideal world, the software would read the serial # off the flash or something and register it. It's a bit backwards for people to manage something as simple as distributing license codes.

The manual was simple and clear, and most importantly accurate, but some of the screenshots were in German. That's OK, but it would be a bit nicer if they were in other languages too.

There should be some sort of 'intro' guide or documentation with the product. NovaMusik seems to have sent me about 100 brochures for various Sonic Core products in a package that looked 'manual sized'. :|