Mixers

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

JoPo

Mixers

Post by JoPo »

Hi...

There is no phase compensation button on the xite mixers... Is it because there is no problem of phase shifting ?

... I hope so ...
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
garyb

Re: Mixers

Post by garyb »

mixers can have their own chips on xite. the phase compensation was required because of latencies between chips(or so i understand it). no swindle there, anyway....
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Thanks... I didn't know that...
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
spacef

Post by spacef »

it's may be because the module(s) that could cause phase shifting have been replaced by optimized modules that apparently don't require any special care ?
The phase shifting is not as simple as "in between two chips" (if you have the same device loaded several times on several chips, you would not have any different latency in the individual output of each of those modules (eventhough they are on different chips)... phase shifting was much more hearable when a plugin is loaded upon 2 cards in cascade (like, half of the plug on one card, the other half on another card...)...
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Mmm... Yes yes yes...

So it's simply better with new hardware...New chips...

Did you get your xite, Mehdi ?
I really think to have made a good investment... The xite + a good PC with the quad core CPU and I'm never stuck by power missing.
spacef

Post by spacef »

not yet...my latest devices wouldn't be websites if i had one already ;-)
can't even make music anymore due to scope too small size for me now....
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

garyb wrote:mixers can have their own chips on xite. the phase compensation was required because of latencies between chips(or so i understand it). no swindle there, anyway....
Hey Gary, Hope all is well !
I wondered if you could clarify 'phase compensation' on the xite-1 stm 4896x.

I am recording a 45 piece male shanty choir with a 4 piece band on Wednesday and will use the Xite-1, an A16 ultra and my old trusty soundtracs as preamps.
I will be using a main ortf pair combined with 3 spot mics for the choir.
On the old pci version of the stm 4896, the manual states that enabling phase compensation will reduce phase when multi miking one source, such as a piano. I would like to apply the same functionality to keeping the phase of the ortf pair in synch with the spot mics. Now that the function is missing from the mixer options, do i assume correctly that the stm now does this as default on the xite-1?

I understand the various theories of mic distancing ( 3:1 rule, ~1ms of delay per 1 foot dictance between the prime mics vs the others,etc etc) but reading the old manual, it does specify that it is useful for multi miking so the comments stating it only accounted for latency between the older dsp chips confused me a little.

Can you help clear my fog on this?

Thank you as usual in advance.
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, this is part of why all the worry about 100% phase coherence can be silly. in real life, there's no such thing.

yep, follow the basic principles of micing and the phase issues will be minimized. yes, the XITE's mixer's inputs are always phase compensated, so the inputs will be in phase and any anomolies will be from outside the XITE, or because of the use of plugins.
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

Cheers. I was confused based on what I read in the manual to be honest.
It implies it will help reduce phase when multi miking (which i understood as the stm adding (x) ms delay to channels having the same source on different inputs) but I guess this isn't the case. So in fact it was a way of addressing inter chip latency when recording one source on a mixer in cases where the mixer is loaded across more than one dsp ?

I will humbly return to using my measure tape and calculator :-)
Thanks for clearing it up.
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure. :)

a measuring tape and calculator aren't needed, though. a good eyeball is sufficient. it is impossible to achieve "perfect".
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

well, ok, not 'perfect' :-) 'perfect' normally isn't musical anyway :-)