Scope 5

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Scope 5

Post by dawman »

Amen Brotha'....
There are PhysMod options available that I looked into at NAMM as another option to going 64bit. But even though they use a small amount of RAM and resources they are still lacking in quality still.
I often wonder why the Motif and even the new Kurzweil have such great sounds and use such little RAM. I do prefer more articulations personally, but more than once I heard a nice EPiano or Grand Piano and thought it was yet another developer with the " Authorized, Ultimate " Rompler on display, only to see an 88 noter being banged on.
The thought of Yamaberg or Cakeland coming to my rescue is scarry....
jimk

Post by jimk »

Stardust,

Take a CHILL PILL. The reason I want 64 bit is only for the larger RAM addressability not for better sound. I am happy with 16 bit audio actually but I need MORE RAM for my large PROJECTS. And unlike X-ite1, I do not do orchestral work but rather huge authentic sample sets of simple BASS, GUITARs, DRUMS/Percussion and KEYBOARDS (including pianos, organs and synths).

I am one of those people who got fed up trying to book my own studio time and hire engineers to capture the "right sound" only to be realize the compromises that need to be made versus the costs and have gone down the road of using 100% virtual instruments. And all of these instruments that are worth using require humungous amounts of RAM. I might be sacrificing some dynamics but the high quality sound and flexibility is worth it.

I agree that FREEZING tracks is the only way around the RAM issue but once you do this, you lose the flexibility that is so important to us.

So, I am a huge FAN of SCOPE but HURRY UP and GET OUT the new hardware followed by a version that can run in the 64 bit environment.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim K

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
www.lldom.blogspot.com
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I'm going to time my updates and wait a bit for Windows 7 stabilization (already getting good results in beta tests with Samplitude), 64-bit Scope drivers, and REAL 64-bit plugs.

However, in the meantime, I'm re-considering using something like FX Teleport to setup my older machine as a dedicated big-plugin host (for Kontakt3, etc.) that sometimes push up against the ceiling of my current systems. I'm thinking I could even network this VST host machine with both my current main Scope system as well as my laptop (soon to be running Xite).

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:The thought of Yamaberg or Cakeland coming to my rescue is scarry....
:lol: :D he said Yamaberg or Cakeland :lol: :P
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
jimk

Post by jimk »

Siriusbliss...

There exists 64 bit SCOPE?

Jim
Jim K

www.lldom.blogspot.com
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

jimk wrote:Siriusbliss...

There exists 64 bit SCOPE?

Jim
not yet.

This is on the list of developments though - as discussed on the other 3(!) threads. At least this is what I was told at NAMM.
Same for MacOS - it's in the cue.

Greg
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

lOl :D
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

stardust wrote: In short.
There is no 'native only' plugin that sounds as good as the quality scope plugs, while being flexibly embedded into a full studio system with outstanding effects, synths and mixers.
There is no modular synth system in native world with the sound of scope.
8)
That is simply not the case. For example Flexor is moving to native. They have also said that there will be no loss to audio quality at all. Most of the highest quality mastering EQ's are native.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Mike Goodwin wrote:Most of the highest quality mastering EQ's are native.
Most of the highest quality software mastering EQ's are native, right?

Which products would that be?
Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin »

Algorithmix Red and Blue, Flux Empure, Refined Audiometrics Laboratory come to mind.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

Mike Goodwin wrote:
stardust wrote: In short.
There is no 'native only' plugin that sounds as good as the quality scope plugs, while being flexibly embedded into a full studio system with outstanding effects, synths and mixers.
There is no modular synth system in native world with the sound of scope.
8)
That is simply not the case. For example Flexor is moving to native.
flexor native is not more than an announcement by now. even scope 5 is closer to materialization, since it has been spotted working at namm and musikmesse. so stardust is not wrong :D

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

well, whatever is the native vs DSP sound, I think that giving more power to our computer is a good thing. As soon as i can get a DSP plugin for my scope system ( :roll: i will do the same with Xite .. cas I sold my boards ...), i use to focus on this solution. Why ? Because I know i will be "forced" to buy a host of VSTis (you cannot find elsewhere) and sample based applications (VSL, RMX here). When it comes to mastering (and as this task is a post production one), I think that it is a matter of taste, IMHO. One exception though : if you are to mix up software with hardware stuff (for mastering), then i would chose Scope for sure and drop any native tool !!!!
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Mike Goodwin wrote:Algorithmix Red and Blue, Flux Empure, Refined Audiometrics Laboratory come to mind.
Im impressed with the Algorithmix EQ's, but unfortunately they're not available for Mac as standalone. Fortunately You can get SSL Duende PCIe + X-EQ (which is the Algorithmix Blue EQ) for the same price as the standalone version - but there's no way to get the Red EQ for Mac :cry:
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Mike Goodwin wrote:Refined Audiometrics Laboratory
IIRC, Refined Audiometrics Laboratory were developing their algos on a Soundart Chameleon (M56k-based). Not that it's of any great significance to the conversation here, but still interesting, although I can't say whether they continued working with the chameleon or not.
siriusbliss

Re:

Post by siriusbliss »

the19thbear wrote:juli?august 2008 or 2010?
nobody knows.
its been saying "Soon" for the last six months on their webpage.. and i got an email in may saying that they would release it in a couple of weeks! :-? :-?
seriosly..... they shouldnt promise anything. It's alot better saying that their are working on it, maybe post stuff in a blog with the latest progress etc etc. instead of that email..
well sorry for my rant.
.. it's done when it's done!:)
which is what I requested of the guys at NAMM - at least put up an occasional paragraph stating current progress - just don't make any promises when dealing with hardware development :D

I imagine something may appear SOON, since Music Messe is coming in April.

Just my presumption.

Greg
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Re- What I was saying about Refined Audiometrics Laboratory developing on the Chameleon dsp platform, I take it back. It appears as though programming for the chameleon hardware was just a one off venture with their System 1000 'entry-level hearing enhancement system'. Contrary to the spirit of the chameleon platform though, they never released it for chameleon users to use. Bit of a shame really (for anyone with a chameleon that is). System 1000 on Chameleon info/news

[/tangent] :oops:
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

stardust wrote:cakeberg and steinwalk
lobase and cubic
abletude and sampliton

oh yes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
jimk

Post by jimk »

Instead of ranting and raving, I have decided to move to the UAD2 platform due to SONIC CORE's lack of performance. At this point, I am worried that they won't make it and I need to be thinking about the move to 64 bit (not for fidelity but for performance and RAM increase).

I have had my 21 DSPs for about 10 years and they served me well but with no new MIXING plugs and the higher end stuff available (I am blown away by the NEVE stuff on UAD) it's time to retire SCOPE and move on.

I waited to make this decision for about 1 year hoping that SONIC CORE could rescue CREAMWARE but it looks like even if they do it, it is doubtful that they will be a player for much longer.

Jim

PS - I have a couple of sons that will be fighting over the 21 DSPs so I am not selling them
Jim K

www.lldom.blogspot.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

jimk wrote:Instead of ranting and raving, I have decided to move to the UAD2 platform due to SONIC CORE's lack of performance. At this point, I am worried that they won't make it and I need to be thinking about the move to 64 bit (not for fidelity but for performance and RAM increase).

I have had my 21 DSPs for about 10 years and they served me well but with no new MIXING plugs and the higher end stuff available (I am blown away by the NEVE stuff on UAD) it's time to retire SCOPE and move on.

I waited to make this decision for about 1 year hoping that SONIC CORE could rescue CREAMWARE but it looks like even if they do it, it is doubtful that they will be a player for much longer.

Jim

PS - I have a couple of sons that will be fighting over the 21 DSPs so I am not selling them
Jim, you may have made the best decision for you, but i wonder if you've really tested some of the 3rd party stuff for Scope...

one other thing, i think they're doing quite well. i think you'll be back to Scope when you see XITE exists and realize what you're giving up. the quality and usability of your studio tools has nothing to do with the age or whether or not the company's around :wink: . the thing is, UAD and Scope are quite happy together in the same machine.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Jim, it's good that you're keeping the boards in the family (literally) - sort of like keeping the family jewels :wink: - that way, you can at least update to Scope 5 and see how things go from here.

At least the boards lasted 10 years, so why not another 10?

Greg