SCOPE XITE-1: new DSP hardware from Sonic Core!

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Shayne White wrote:I wonder if SC guessed there'd be ten pages of messages emanating from the announcement in one day... :P
A few more than the Plugiator announcement :P .
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

Shayne White wrote:
motormind wrote:Can't they at least make a version with Z-Link connectors?
If this is really aimed at the "pro" market, it would make sense why there's no Z-link: pro users are going to be using their boutique, $5k converters and not the A16U. It'd be nice if they'd also introduce a cheaper, less powerful product that's more of a replacement for the systems we have now, but it's probably good if they don't. CreamWare was always introducing five different versions of the same thing, spreading themselves out too thin, and going bankrupt. At one point, we had:

-PowerSampler
-Elektra
-Luna
-Pulsar
-PowerPulsar
-Pulsar XTC
-Scope S/P

All running different software, yet the same plugins, and was very confusingly marketed. I think SC doesn't want to make the same mistake again. With Scope Xcite, the motto is: "We make product, you buy." 'Nough said.

Then there was Klangbox. And Noah. :roll:

Shayne
none of these cards were running different software afaik. It was all SFP, just came bundled with different plugins. Luna, Elektra and PS are all the same card just different plugins, but all running SFP. I agree it was potentially confusing for new customers but that's hardly an argument to just do away with a product for the middle segment alltogether. If the only difference is gonna be DSP power there's hardly any confusion possible. We already have the unified software environment.

I guess we'll have to wait and see but personally I would be surprised if they wouldn't make a cut-down version of the Xcite-1.
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

lagoausente wrote:
I'm sure everyone on audio forums is gonna bitch about the price because most people on those forums (and probably on this forum) are not directly the target audience of this product. With the price and performance it's definitely targeted at a more "pro" segment of the market
Yes, but the company must think about their past solvency problems and try to never arrive in the same situation. I don´t believe that focus in an pro target audiene is the best economical way. Realize that is like a piramid. In it´s base, there is lot´s of people, and in the top, low people.
The best situation is a target in the just the middle, so the guys at the bottom could fall in the temptation, the middle would buy inmediatly, and the top will be pre-ordering.
I think it could be much better for the company go for a massive target, than for a "pro" target.
I don´t mean they must sell at the price of an M-audio, what could be imposible, but try to bring it near the home musician guys. We are lot of people.
Also near TC, UAD prices, would beat the competitors in it´s eggs.
I totally agree with this. But again judging from the kind of power and the price of this particular unit it's just not aimed at the middle. And that's perfectly fine, cause for that kind of power it still amazing value for those who have that kind of money to spend.
I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and say that SonicCore probably cares a lot about their whole audience, including the lower and middle segment, and I don't think they'd willingly move the Scope platform in such a direction where a large part of their current user base are gonna be left out because they can't afford the hardware upgrade. So I'm sure there will be other products in the new Scope range that will be aimed at the middle or entry level markets.

Regarding to a "lower power" option, usually is more expensive for a company to manufacture diferent products, than lowering the price of the main product.
I think that a competitive price with the paralel UAD, TC, would make come people like bees, because the advantage of the non-latency lots of synths, amps simulators, sampling etc etc.
I wish the company think about all this.

I think offering something with the power of Xite-1 for a mid-rage (UAD) price would be completely devaluating their product line and not a good move at all. It would pretty much instantly make all their other products worthless.
A lower powered and lower priced version is the only logical way to do it imo.

at this point,, everything is speculation anyway. Let's wait till musikmesse and see what SC have to say about it.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

King of Snake wrote:I think offering something with the power of Xite-1 for a mid-rage (UAD) price would be completely devaluating their product line and not a good move at all.
Exactly.

Scope can never be compared as a solution or by price to any UAD product . UAD does a few FX only. Some of their plugs run 1 or 2 to a card, the Neve comp for e.g. Very good but that's it. So called vintage emulations. I was looking at another UAD card. No need now. Warp69's Plate & Rooms are better anyway.

Folks buy a UAD for FX only 'cos that's all it does. Nothing else. A complete recording studio is not simply an FX rack. Gotta have a coffee machine.

'N all.

ns
hubird

Post by hubird »

they will do what's wise from marketing view, now and in the future, UAD or not.
If you ask me, they will first aim at new first-generation buyers of the Xite-1, to create a new base for SC.
Serious pro musicions and studios who weigh the costs against the revenus.
After a few years they could think differently, and present cheaper solutions to enlarge the base, for those with a smaller budget, or who live in countries with a 'lower living level'.
The sales curve will tell about the right moment.
I agree with KoS for the moment tho.
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

lagoausente wrote:
I'm sure everyone on audio forums is gonna bitch about the price because most people on those forums (and probably on this forum) are not directly the target audience of this product. With the price and performance it's definitely targeted at a more "pro" segment of the market
Yes, but the company must think about their past solvency problems and try to never arrive in the same situation. I don´t believe that focus in an pro target audiene is the best economical way. Realize that is like a piramid. In it´s base, there is lot´s of people, and in the top, low people.
The best situation is a target in the just the middle, so the guys at the bottom could fall in the temptation, the middle would buy inmediatly, and the top will be pre-ordering.
im happy that soniccore targeted to pro. 2700 euro is not too huge coz it has the power of 10*14dsp. now all kind of(top to bottom) people can buy a soniccore gear. we have
Home 3dsp card
Poject 6dsp card
professioanl 14 dsp card
xite-1 140dsp in one single rack :)
thanks soniccore. you have made it.... SonicCore Rocks :D
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

King of Snake wrote: I guess we'll have to wait and see but personally I would be surprised if they wouldn't make a cut-down version of the Xcite-1.
you mean a baby xite or xite1/2 :D
i don't think it would be a good idea. i'll rather prefer if someone can’t effort now can wait and buy the big one later. Beside we have more than 100 plugings out there and can't ues them coz lack of dsp.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

its probably only 1 - 3 DSP chips in there as well, if so there will not be so much ofn that tiny problem of devices spanning different DSP chips for different signal streams.

anyways i calculated the sharc equivalent of the 2 Texas Instruments TMS320C6713BPYP200 Floating Point DSP in Spectralis and it worked out something like 50 SHARCs and the new AD DSPs are even more powerful.

translated for cats:

ITZ PROBABLY ONLY 1 - 3 DSP CHIPS IN THAR AS WELL, IF SO THAR WILL NOT BE SO MUTCH OFN DAT TINY PROBLEM OV DEVICEZ SPANNIN DIFFERENT DSP CHIPS 4 DIFFERENT SIGNAL STREAMS.

ANYWAYS I CALCULATD TEH SHARC EQIVELANT OV TEH 2 TEXAS INSTRUMENTZ TMS320C6713BPYP200 FLOATIN POINT DSP IN SPECKI
AN IT WERKD OUT SOMETHIN LIEK 50 SHARCS AN TEH NEW AD DSPS R EVEN MOAR POWERFUL.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D DO WANT!
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

So...let's now figure out how many voices of MiniMax can run on a 14-DSP board, and multiply that by ten. Anyone care to calculate? I'm not at my studio computer right now.... :lol:
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Shayne White wrote:So...let's now figure out how many voices of MiniMax can run on a 14-DSP board, and multiply that by ten. Anyone care to calculate? I'm not at my studio computer right now.... :lol:
Are'nt the 14dsp cards actually 15dsp? Probably will need to times 15 and 10 (that little extra boost in power may help one day :) ).
maky325

Post by maky325 »

I am using only 3 or 4 poly on Minimax. Never needed more :D And i can run them 5 on current system allready :lol: So about 50 :P
garyb

Post by garyb »

my only question is if the xtdm connector works with the stdm on the cards, so a card could be kept for i/o. the existence of this bus would indicate that such an expansion is possible, but perhaps only with some new hardware. the happiest situation would be both. with all that dsp power, i/o is about the only real issue! this looks like a no brainer for someone who was serious about production....
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

So what im eagerly wanted to know, is Xsite-1 will work with my existing pc(intel dp35dp)+pulsar2+ bx, Kompressor those existing plugs?
Another is intel dp35dp mobo only support 32bit vista or xp(maybe im wrong).
If so is there any benefit is there if i switch xp_sp2 to vista32bit?

pci express... that is pcix1 right?
thanks
garyb

Post by garyb »

firubbi wrote: pci express... that is pcix1 right?
thanks
yeah, i wouldn't think it would be the 16x slot.

i would think it would work just fine in your computer.

is there really a reason to change your operating system? some software you can no longer run? some hardware that no longer supports or is supported by xp? if not, save yourself time and trouble and leave it alone.

i wouldn't expect any real answers until the product is released. i wouldn't be surprised(and i believe Ralf already said so) to find that the product still has some details to be sorted and decided...

this was developed rather quickly. this reminds me of the vitality of the original creamware, before noah. nice......
firubbi

Post by firubbi »

garyb wrote: yeah, i wouldn't think it would be the 16x slot.
i would think it would work just fine in your computer.
dp35dp has one pci*x16 Grafhics Connector where i put a gforce :o
and has 3 pci *x1 connectors...
anyway will ask you later...
King of Snake

Post by King of Snake »

firubbi wrote:
King of Snake wrote: I guess we'll have to wait and see but personally I would be surprised if they wouldn't make a cut-down version of the Xcite-1.
you mean a baby xite or xite1/2 :D
i don't think it would be a good idea. i'll rather prefer if someone can’t effort now can wait and buy the big one later. Beside we have more than 100 plugings out there and can't ues them coz lack of dsp.
That's exactly what I mean and I really don't see what your objection is. Why do you feel the need to tell other people what they should buy?
I love Scope but I would never buy Xite-1 because it is simply out of my price range, and I don't need that kind of performance.
It's like saying "i'd rather not see people drive affordable family cars, they should just wait till they can buy a Ferrari". Well not everybody needs/wants a Ferrari.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last sentence either.
cannonball

Post by cannonball »

hi
what a great news!
i need to sell my selmer tenor sax superaction II,
and some, soprano, alto, teno,r baritone mouthpieces for find
some cash for may 2008
i hope the internal adda converters are in the same league
of audiocards like apogee prism lynx
Ale
maky325

Post by maky325 »

firubbi wrote:So what im eagerly wanted to know, is Xsite-1 will work with my existing pc(intel dp35dp)+pulsar2+ bx, Kompressor those existing plugs?
Another is intel dp35dp mobo only support 32bit vista or xp(maybe im wrong).
If so is there any benefit is there if i switch xp_sp2 to vista32bit?

pci express... that is pcix1 right?
thanks
Yes you are just fine with that mobo and dont worry about OS support . You can install Vista or XP 32 or 64 bit. Any Service Pack. You can chill now 8)
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

SC is very clever because has assured the backward compatibility with "old" 3/6/14 DSP hardware.
In this way they keep the market of second hand under control because the users can keep old Scope with the new Xite ;)
And because they can still sell "old" 14 dsp scope as entry level at low price.
and, this is interesting because they can still gain $ with software introit.

:o
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.