XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x2

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by fra77x2 »

Come on guys hurry by the end of the next decade you must have managed to make a stable working system. 7 pages "Xite-1 configuration setup". Is it me or there are 2 guys that can't make a system work all these years? I must have been extremely lucky the first PC i bought worked very good with the PCI cards, and the first laptop I bought for the Xite the same! Lucky me! I must have slept with Domino... All these years with a working system I have also managed to learn production synthesis and a myriad other things. So happy 2031 with a working system! Come on lets find some motherboard experts I want this and that and this wow this is excellent! It kind of works! yeah!
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Bud Weiser wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:20 am
yayajohn wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:53 pm Hey Bud. Not sure about the BNC. I think it is broken if you want to use the Xite as a master clock. Mine seems to work in slave and yes it is Scope 7.
Excellent news !!!
I didn´t try because I might have misunderstood somewhere here @PlanetZ some time ago.

Now I will, because I want all the digital gear be slaves, except the masterclock I bought.

Thx for the pic and ...

Happy New Year !!!

:)

Bud
Just make sure to check the specs on the PCIe slot you use and compare to what I experienced.
Not sure if that is the only issue but I don't care how it works, I just care that it does work.
Hope it works for you too.
HNY!
dawman

Post by dawman »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:05 am Hey Jimmy HNY!
Not sure if the plugs I have would really test the CPU cores. (AAS,Arturia, MusicLab, Pianoteq, PA subscription bundle,AIR)
On one of Faxi's VSTi I made it hit 100% pretty easily. I think it was the Pathfinder WT but his later VSTi instruments basically made that one obsolete.
Probably will eventually invest in some more now that I can.
Mostly bought this system for future proofing because I sure don't enjoy the migration aspect of it.
PM me if there's something specific you want me to try.

Dan
Nothing actually.
My concern with so many cores are buffer settings, which are fine for recording, like 256, 44.1, etc.
I stick with Quads because even the 3700X has latency I find annoying.

The 5600X or a new Intel 6/8 core will be what I tackle this summer.

Gotta keep GaryB busy too.
Nobody builds better Scope DAWg’s than he.

Happy New Year YaYa
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:43 am
Just make sure to check the specs on the PCIe slot you use and compare to what I experienced.
Not sure if that is the only issue but I don't care how it works, I just care that it does work.
In theory, it should work w/ any PCIe x1 slot not sharing ressources w/ other devices.

I have my SCOPE PCIe card in a PCIe x4 slot which is directly connected to processor.
The PCIe x1 slots run thru z97 chipset still.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/p ... iagram.png
I cannot thank Dawman enough for pointing me on that.

This is also the case w/ Z390 and Z490 ...
https://linustechtips.com/uploads/month ... 5b2aa7.jpg

So, when you have one of the blue PCIe x16 / x8/ x4 slots free and possibly use Intel iGPU for graphics, put the card into one of these slots NOT sharing w/ any PCIe x4 M.2 SSD and SCOPE will run AFAP.
Projects will load significantly faster too.

In my machine, SCOPE PCIe got an exclusive IRQ that way.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

So I guess based on that info: The first 1x PCIe slot that I used must have been sharing resources with the video card right next to it because it was NOT going to synch up with the BNC. After I moved it to the 3rd 1x PCIe slot it has worked perfectly.
But just to point out on my motherboard the first PCIe slot is a PCIe 3.0 x4 (x4 mode)
and the one it works on is a PCIe 3.0 x1
I have no idea if that is relevant but just so you are aware.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

yayajohn wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 am So I guess based on that info: The first 1x PCIe slot that I used must have been sharing resources with the video card right next to it because it was NOT going to synch up with the BNC. After I moved it to the 3rd 1x PCIe slot it has worked perfectly.
But just to point out on my motherboard the first PCIe slot is a PCIe 3.0 x4 (x4 mode)
and the one it works on is a PCIe 3.0 x1
I have no idea if that is relevant but just so you are aware.
right click Win [START[ ... click [RUN] ... type msinfo32 ... click hardware-ressources > conflicts/sharing

You possibly did already, but that´s where you can see the differences when you try SCOPE PCIe in the different slots.

When I used the SCOPE PCIe card in any of the PCIe x1 slots,- it always shared IRQ (#16 IIRC) w/ several other devices.
Using the 3rd blue PCIe x16 (x4 mode) while using iGPU,- it enabled an exclusive IRQ for SCOPE XITE as also the usage of ULTRA M.2 (PCIe) NVMe SSD (x4 mode), usage of 2nd M.2 NVMe (x2 mode), 2 Samsung Pro and EVO SATA 600 SSDs and didn´t had to deactivate any USB controllers or eSATA.

It´s all mainboard architecture /chipset related and not matter of PCIe modes (x2, x4, x8 or x16).
It´s about ALL the available slots you normally use for graphics cards ARE connected directly to processor,- which enables the exclusive IRQ and faster data transfer (which is only limited by the PCIe card itself then).

All the other stuff runs thru the motherboard´s (Intel) chipset, together w/ network and many other devices.
It might not matter for the common (pro) soundcards, like RME p.ex. as also might not be essential for mixing.
But I play ext. keyboards and modules thru XITE, use SCOPE synths and VST in addition.

On my mainboard, the ULTRA M.2 (32Gb/sec) slot was only full speed when not using a graphics card in PCIe X16 #1,- that´s why I use iGPU (Intel graphics) which works great for me.
I enjoy loading NI Komplete Ultimate CEd content form Ultra M.2 (Samsung 970 EVO NNVMe x4 / 1TB) and won´t get conflicts/sharing w/ SCOPE/XITE PCIe either.

On your mainboard, it might behave different according to the relation of PCIeX16 and M.2 slots.
All the PCIe M.2 slots (might) share w/ PCIeX16 slots.
And, you want the OS not on a M:2 SSD because trim function might kick in out of the blue, saturating PCIe bus, resulting in clicks, pops and other audible artefacts.

I have a smooth running machine, running Win7 Pro SP1 off Samsung Pro SATA SSD.

Bud
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

hmm, that is a lot of food for thought. Thanks for that info Bud.
My documentation says my M.2 shares with a SATA port and disables it when a drive is present. So I have to use the other ones which is not a problem unless I have a lot of drives.
The TRIM function is definitely concerning but if I'm reading it right, it applies to all SSD drives? Not just the M.2?
Also you may be able to set that so it runs at a certain time?
Researching it still though.