Is anyone who tried to connect loptop with xite-1 by thunderbolt connection external express Card reader?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: Is anyone who tried to connect loptop with xite-1 by thunderbolt connection external express Card reader?

Post by garyb »

ok.

thunderbolt 3 doesn't work, if it's also usb.

valis

Re: Is anyone who tried to connect loptop with xite-1 by thunderbolt connection external express Card reader?

Post by valis »

robinette wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 am
garyb wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm
if it's called "thunderebolt/usb3", you have all the needed information.
Isn't "thunderebolt / usb3". It's "thunderebolt 3 / usb-C".
It looks alike, but it is not the same. :lol:

Regards.
USB-C just describes the connector type, 1.x/2.x/3.x is the protocol which gives you the capabilities & signalling speed(s). Typically you'll find the connector corresponds to the type of protocol/connection as the signaling requires it.

robinette

Post by robinette »

valis wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:18 pm
robinette wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 am
garyb wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:57 pm
if it's called "thunderebolt/usb3", you have all the needed information.
Isn't "thunderebolt / usb3". It's "thunderebolt 3 / usb-C".
It looks alike, but it is not the same. :lol:

Regards.
USB-C just describes the connector type, 1.x/2.x/3.x is the protocol which gives you the capabilities & signalling speed(s). Typically you'll find the connector corresponds to the type of protocol/connection as the signaling requires it.
That's how it is. That is why I have commented that the port of that laptop is thunderbolt 3, because in the specifications of the laptop it is clearly written that it is thunderbolt 3 / USB-C (and also in the photograph of that port there is the thunderbolt symbol).

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ProArt-Stu ... X-W730G5T/

Th3.jpg
Th3.jpg (64.04 KiB) Viewed 614 times
I do not understand all this conversation that has been about this when it was so obvious.

A greeting.

garyb

Post by garyb »

the only Expresscard to Thunderbolt adapter that has been proven to work is the Sonnet Technologies offering. afaik, it does not work with USB-C(at least with the XITE-1). there may have been other factors like cable choice in the instances where it doesn't work.

personally, i really don't care. it is an experiment or gamble at best. HAVE AT IT IF YOU KNOW BETTER! if it works for you, i would like to know, so that i can confirm it for others.

Thunderbolt is technically a PCIe connection, so if the adapter works, the connection will work.

people think that the only issue is raw bandwidth, but the timing of that bandwidth is more important than the simple raw numbers.

why all the discussion?
it's so that people aren't heartlessly encouraged to purchase things that don't work.

valis

Post by valis »

robinette wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:21 am
That's how it is. That is why I have commented that the port of that laptop is thunderbolt 3, because in the specifications of the laptop it is clearly written that it is thunderbolt 3 / USB-C (and also in the photograph of that port there is the thunderbolt symbol).

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ProArt-Stu ... X-W730G5T/

Th3.jpg

I do not understand all this conversation that has been about this when it was so obvious.

A greeting.
I thought the question in this topic was whether anyone has tried this, and if it would work. If you're going to be captain obvious here, what's the point of discussion?

USB3.x, USB-C "connectors' & Thunderbolt 3 have a lot of overlap, and a TB3 *should* be implemented via an Intel controller on any Intel board. Some board makers give an additional 'slot' which is basically a PCIe slot equivalent to the needed bandwidth & width for the implementation tehy give. Companies like Gigabyte have their flavor, some laptops use the various mini-PCIe/M.2 flavors to give the option of adding a controller etc.

Why does this matter? As you surely know, PCIe isn't always the same in terms of access to the CPU itself. Most consumer CPU's give basically 16x & 4x to the CPU until very recently, and AMD versions of Thunderbolt--while they do exist--are far more rare. Not sure I've seen one on a laptop, but I can't say they don't exist with custom builds out there from Clevo & other smaller vendors. I've seen many Mac Pro users add PCIe cards for Thunderbolt 2/3 functionality on "Classic Mac Pro's" as well, but there are certain things that fall apart in terms of professional use due to the age of the system.

So to know if "Thunderbolt 3" which uses the "USB-C" type of connector (and can use the cables interchangeably) will work, you would need to know HOW it's implemented. Gary will know much better than I how robust Xite, I don't own one (yet). Yet I do know with other bandwidth hungry devices that I use, or if that PCIe slot is sharing with other devices on a PLX switch or other method of multiplexing CPU & chipset things can get hairy.