XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

garyb

Re: XITE-1 PC CONFIGURATION REFERENCE

Post by garyb » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:21 am

super impressive!
overkill to the max!

look the motherboard and processors up! there isn't much newer....

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:04 am

So... this xeon config could be a very good choice for an audio workstation machine, right ?

I don't play a single computer game. I7 or i9 are more for gamers and xeon for people like us : using computers for audio application ? And a double CPU is very mouth-watering !

So... X99 = ok for Xite - Intel® C621 too...
And X299 ? Do you have some info about that one ?
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

garyb

Post by garyb » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am

no, i don't have anything about X299, but it probably works.

yes, it COULD be a great audio workstation platform, but it's pretty freakin expensive, and probably isn't worth the extra money vs. realworld performance, but if you have the money, it's just about the most powerful thing out there right now. i wouldn't be surprised if more conventional setups actually did about the same amount of work, with the current software.

JoPo

Post by JoPo » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:39 am

garyb wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:17 am
i wouldn't be surprised if more conventional setups actually did about the same amount of work, with the current software.
Yes... If we wait enough time. Just like a simple actual pc does much more thant a 20 years old double CPU. It's the way computers goes ! But I'd like to buy a new amazing config now ! And without mistake for my Xite-1 to work perfectly !
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <

garyb

Post by garyb » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:41 am

no, i mean right now, the latest regular i7s are probably going to do a similar amount of work as this mega system. computers have not been advancing as quickly, lately. actually, the XEONs in the system in question are only x86 processors in the lower end of the line. the upper end of the line are a different type of processor altogether. that is probably where things may go. all your software requires an x86 processor, currently, afaik.

in any case, i would not spend too much time worrying about this. if you have $2500 for parts, and an extended atx case(huge), then this might be the route for you. otherwise, i would use z270/370, because that is super fast, powerful, affordable, and has been tested.

if you go for cutting edge technology, there are no sure bets. very few people can afford to test for fun, i surely cannot. :)