Moderators: valis, garyb

Janni

Ferrofish B4000

Post by Janni »

-/-
HUROLURA

Re: Ferrofish B4000

Post by HUROLURA »

OK, looks like there is an ASB renewal in the air.
I like the use of the small TFT LCD. This is what I miss most on previous model especially for local preset management.
I also felt it was a nice idea in the A16 MK II.

The look is quite different.
No more wood, more in the Waldorf Blofeld spirit bent on the front white metal box.
I just feel there are less control as in the former CreamWare B4000 ASB but maybe they found a trick by using the LCD.
Looks like there is smart parameter matrix in the spirit of what is also found on a Waldorf Blofeld, but I guess the small LCD is one of the smartest addition we ahve seen to provide the feedback to the user.

I thought about building my own MIDIBOX based host for the Plugiator ASX card as I was not satisfied with what the Plugiator provided.
My aim was not the B4000 but imagine Jurgen go on his work on the different SC plug-in in a similar maner ... that would be awesome as this could make them a succes this time especially if you pay attention to the cheap pricing.

A few pictures:
B4000+.jpg
B4000+.jpg (59.17 KiB) Viewed 18979 times
B4000+back.jpg
B4000+back.jpg (31.04 KiB) Viewed 18979 times
B4000+topview.jpg
B4000+topview.jpg (56.19 KiB) Viewed 18979 times
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Maybe time to setup a reconciliation pack ?
The reconciliation pack.jpg
The reconciliation pack.jpg (29.91 KiB) Viewed 18974 times
Ferrofish B4000+ I suspect to use some SonicCore technology with the addition of a Neo Instruments Ventilator I suspect to use some InDSP/Use Audio technology ...
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm happy for ferrofish and S|C together! And, I also hope for a general controller from ferrofish for SCOPE if this is an indication of what it could be.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

jksuperstar wrote:I'm happy for ferrofish and S|C together! And, I also hope for a general controller from ferrofish for SCOPE if this is an indication of what it could be.

Whooops, for a half second I thought on a Ferrofish version of an ICON D-Control like remote unit for our Scope mixers. :roll:
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Yes, but maybe it would be 1/8th the size of the ICON, but no loss in functionality ;) And not just for mixing, but control any SCOPE device.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Yep the universal controller for Scope ...

Quite difficult to achieve actually.

But who knows ?

I was just re-reading some post from 2005, this one:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16364
What is strange is that you can read there some of spec of what became the XITE-1 (PCIe, DSP and IO in an external box, higher speed DSP, ...) and A16 Mk II (MADI, ...), so maybe one should just remember that our lines are read !!!

Some nice and newer controller approach are rising (Steinberg CMC series for exemple with its modular concept).
For Scope control you (even if project set up still require a mouse), maybe something in the spirit of Nord Modular G2 that would implement an easy mechanism to navigate between the differents devices of this project and provide access an interactive control of the parameters with user feedback taht cannot be achieved so far with MIDI. I feel the implemantation of a more advanced protocol like OSC would be necessary though.
JuergenK

Post by JuergenK »

I hope you like our new B4000+...the old B4000 needed some facelift, now it looks more modern and attractive I think.

As you surely suspect, the B4000+ is based and developed on Scope/B2003, its really still the best platform to develop audio hardware!
Concerning the DSP code, compared to the old B4000 we have a new rotor code now, also added a nice reverb, and did some smaller enhancements and bugfixes.

But most work was put in the user interface, as you see the B4000+ has a TFT display, and also a fast ARM processor is doing all the controller stuff.
It's really fun now to play with the parameters, although the old B4000 had some more knobs, you can now edit >all< parameters on the B4000, so no need for PC to fiddle around there any more. Also we replaced the encoders now by six "endless" potentiometers with metal shaft and cap. They have the same resolution and feeling like potentiometers, but can be turned endless (dont have an absolute position). Below some TFT screens of the B4000+.

We're still working on our website for more information, but feel free to ask here or on my email if you have questions for the B4000+!

Greets - Juergen
Attachments
some_b4000+_screens.jpg
some_b4000+_screens.jpg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 18883 times
dante

Post by dante »

Questions sent ! :)
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Really nice indeed Juergen !!!

Just a few question regarding the user interface which looks quite straightforward:
- how do you select the parameter row ? I suspect selecting it also select the correct screen but I do not see how to do it.
- what are endless potis, encoders without detent or ? are they also push type to allow them to be used for switch parameter on/off ,
- what type of ARM (I guess the same range as for your beautifull A16 Mk II), what type of DSP (same as in the Xite) ?
- I guess from the screenshot that you add also a compressor to the effect range ... is it based on a known scope device ?

Nice work anyway, the B4000+ is the first scope based device available since the Noah which allows complete standalone use but with a much better thought user interface. Any other ASB II under developpement ?
JuergenK

Post by JuergenK »

Thanks for the compliments! ;-)

Concerning your questions:
>- how do you select the parameter row ? I suspect selecting it also select the correct screen but I do not see how to do it.
Right, you select the screen using the keys, then you can adjust up to six parameters using the dials. Some keys have more pages (like rotor->horn->bass), you press the key repeatly to toggle between the screens. Also, some few used functions you can access by pressing the key long (written in red on the panel).
Its very intuitive and easier as it sounds here :-)

>- what are endless potis, encoders without detent or ? are they also push type to allow them to be used for switch parameter on/off ,
No, these are real potentiometers, to be precise: two pots in one case, one is mounted with 90 degrees angle so when reading both pot positions we get the position of the shaft. It has a much smoother feeling and higher resolution as an encoder.

>- what type of ARM (I guess the same range as for your beautifull A16 Mk II), what type of DSP (same as in the Xite) ?
Its a Cortex M3 ARM, the controller software is written completely in C++. We used a different Sharc DSP, but from the same series of DSP's. It's the ADSP-21262.

>- I guess from the screenshot that you add also a compressor to the effect range ... is it based on a known scope device ?
Yes, its a Scope compressor, only few modifications for easier use.

-Juergen
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

OK I see, thanks for the explanation ...

A few more questions:
- what are the size and weight of the B4000+ ?
- what is the use of the USB port (USB MIDI IO, firmware upgrade, soundbank transfer or even editor ?)
JuergenK

Post by JuergenK »

>- what are the size and weight of the B4000+ ?
bit less than 2kg, and 24cm x20cm x 5cm

>- what is the use of the USB port (USB MIDI IO, firmware upgrade, soundbank transfer or even editor ?)
Yes, all of that. Because the B0400+ has now 16 soundbanks, I plan for a program to organize the presets (rename, rearrange, and save/load them).
Also you will be able to upload a logo screen to your B4000+, and maybe do other mods.
We thinking of integrating all of these programs in one software.

-Juergen
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Juergen,
Is there going to be an update for the B2003's Rotor....?
I am using a Modular patch to enhance it now, but I'd love to hear something new from you guys for the B2003.
I think they look great...
The Ventilator is also a Sharc DSP box, but made in Reaktor from what the developer told me.
The fact both units use DSP means realtim at it's finest...

Congrats.
JoeDoe

Post by JoeDoe »

Does it have MIDI learn?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Maybe Juergen can bring us a Modular IV hardware VA with Neon liquid filled patch cables to keep the kiddies happy.
Much better than blinking lights and pictures of Tubes..
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

It's already great that Juergen provide a smart and clever UI to enable computer free use.

The modular would probably be much more complicated to achieve ...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well from having the pleasure to meet him and send him pictures of OJ in cuffs at the Soniccore booth, etc. and busting his balls here and there, I betcha he likes to do the impossible.
Afterall the DSP with it's own RAM on it inside of the XITE boxes was a major achievement from what I hear from other DSP coders, enthusiasts, etc.
Maybe with 128bit we'll get attached RAM developments...
dante

Post by dante »

Good to see also the word is getting out a bit from someone whose checked one out :

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/7116061-post1.html
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

And there:

http://fr.audiofanzine.com/expandeur/fe ... 16522.html

for french speaking people :)