Plugiator and ASB patches interchangable/ transferable?

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

omvibes

Plugiator and ASB patches interchangable/ transferable?

Post by omvibes »

Hi, is it possible to transfer patches created on say a Minimax ASB to a Plugiator, and vice versa? If so, how is it done, through the software I presume, or Sysex dump? Or are the bits of hardware incompatable? Oli
HUROLURA

Re: Plugiator and ASB patches interchangable/ transferable?

Post by HUROLURA »

It just looks like the devices are not directly compatible.

It should be possible though but would need some extra software to make the translation.
A preset converter between Scope Device, ASB, NOAH and Plugiator/ASX would be a nice idea.
But I do not know who would do that ...

There would be a "workaround" by using MIDI CC messages:
- ASB and NOAH have a close CC MIDI mapping (though not exactly the same)
- One could always map the MIDI Controller under Scope to match the NOAH/ASB mapping
but the Plugiator has a different mapping ...

An update to the plugiator to provide alternate oldies Midi mapping would be maybe the easiest ...

The Plugiator preset file format being HTML, maybe someone (3rd party or software designer user) could do an utility to load a plugiator preset and send it through MIDI using the old MIDI CC mapping...
slammah2012

Post by slammah2012 »

HUROLURA wrote:It just looks like the devices are not directly compatible.

It should be possible though but would need some extra software to make the translation.
A preset converter between Scope Device, ASB, NOAH and Plugiator/ASX would be a nice idea.
But I do not know who would do that ...

There would be a "workaround" by using MIDI CC messages:
- ASB and NOAH have a close CC MIDI mapping (though not exactly the same)
- One could always map the MIDI Controller under Scope to match the NOAH/ASB mapping
but the Plugiator has a different mapping ...

An update to the plugiator to provide alternate oldies Midi mapping would be maybe the easiest ...

The Plugiator preset file format being HTML, maybe someone (3rd party or software designer user) could do an utility to load a plugiator preset and send it through MIDI using the old MIDI CC mapping...
I had requested that from Use Audio about a year and a half ago.....
They said it would be impossible to swap the midi CC#s to match the ASB controls...
I also asked them to refrain from using polyAT CC#s for parameters as using the devices in chain with a polyphonic aftertouch keyboard zeros all of the corresponding faders after releasing a pressed note....
Time has No Master.
*NOW* is the Password.
Just *ASK* and *INVITE* every-
thing you are after..........
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

They said it would be impossible ?
Technically ? or Financially ? Spiritually ?
Did they lost the source code ?

I mean, I do not see anything that can prevent you from mapping a CC message to one parameter or another.
I guess the CC mapping is already used for preset management (no SysEx but CC/PaT messages).
The shame is that they didn't initially choose the same mapping as for the NOAH and ASB (these have almost the same mapping with a very few exception)

I already thought about a converter based on a microcontroller dedicated to such a task, receiving MIDI message and retransmiting them with a shift in the CC mapping. That was one of my goal when I joined the MIDIBOX community.
I see the plugiator as a good companion for NOAH and/or ASB ...

If I was sure they wouldn't do it as software, I could push forward the hardware solution idea.