minimax asb demo'd

Discuss the Creamware ASB and Klangbox hardware boxes

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I have recently demo'd the Minimax ASB in California, unfortunately Las Vegas with all it's music stores is still generic in it's approach to the local scene. My God these people still think that Yamaha, Korg, Roland, are the only companies that exist. I suppose that their flooring plans are at play here. At any rate, I flew down to CA. and heard, and played it. It plays exactly like Minimax, only external. Just hooked up to a controller ( KS-88 ) through MIDI, great sound, aftertouch, and no fuss. I need one of these controllers. They are so cheap I can't resist. Perfect companion for Creamware products. Well now I have a stable live rig. I'm using Scope for B2003, FX, and mixing with no glitches, period. I only ran into hiccups when I added Minimax, or more synths to my setup. I believe that my hardware FX will be the only hardware I'll need from now on. Creamware rules!! Please make more of these fabulous ASB's.
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Sort of related, I have an Minimax ASB now, and I'm liking it. Early comments are on the plus side, having the knobs just makes your life better. Incredible sound potential out of the Minimoog architecture...

You will notice that patch-versus-patch comparing Scope Minimax v. Minimax ASB that you can hear some differences. But I think that might have been minor settings differences either out of optimization or
out of just missing some of the exact settings. I'll comment on that more completely in a later post. I suspect that with small tweaks you can make them sound identical.

In any case, just looking at it in isolation, it's a killer product. The biggest complaint so far is that I would make the GLIDE have more increments. I don't want an arpeggio, I want a glide, so you need more micro-tonal increments there. Hopefully creamware can put that into an upgrade download.

Otherwise, one thing you will notice is that changes on the PC and changes on the ASB may not reflect each other. So there are cases for example, when you turn on Glide where you have to turn it *OFF* then turn it *ON*. Things like that. I think some of the OSC3 settings are like that as well. And of course, some things only work in POLY and some in MONO, so you sort of have to be familiar enough with it to know that.

Other changes that people might want are:
1) more GLIDE midi micro-tonal spacing
2) rackable ???
3) access to page2 on the unit???

I could imagine a scenario where they make
a "rackable" version, and the back is hinged,
so that you flip the back up, and have the outputs right there, and attach rack ears.

In any case, again, an outstanding product. Just what Creamware needed. And I will definitely also be getting the Profit once it comes out as well.

Post by Guest »

ali

Post by ali »

You can download the glid fix from the ftp server.
URL : ftp://ftp.creamware.de/MINIMAX%20ASB/ASB%20OS-Update/

please contact ralf (rb@creamware.de) for a key code for your Minimax ASB before you attempt to do the update.

instructions:

1. install the remote software
2. go to prefs
3. enter the key code given by ralf using CAPS
4. browse for the downloaded OS and then click on write.
5. reboot Minimax ASB as instructed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ali@creamware.com on 2005-09-16 13:32 ]</font>
ScofieldKid

Post by ScofieldKid »

Awesome! Wow, now that's fast service! :smile:

By the way, I did go ahead and do an
A/B demo of Scope v. ASB on a patch, and yeah
I could make it identical to my ears.

So while the same name patches might not be
exact matches, I don't think there is anything missing in the ASB. Some of the knobs have slightly different lower-limit scales for values, so I can see where it would be hard to just look at the settings and eyeball them in.

Thanks again for the patch notification.