New confused Noah owner with the usual questions

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

SpotlightKid

New confused Noah owner with the usual questions

Post by SpotlightKid »

Hi everybody,

I'm new to this forum and I recently bought a used Noah EX off ebay. Although the device is working well in stand-alone mode, I'm having some trouble setting up the software and installing new devices. I tried to read as many posts here but I'm still confused, so I have a few questions which you've probably heard a few times before.

Let me first explain what I did so far. My question are below, skip the following long-ish narration if you want.

My Creamware Noah EX came with the following devices installed:

- B2003
- Interpole
- Lightwave
- Minmax
- Pro One
- Sixstring
- Vectron Player
- Vocodizer

Firmware version 1.0 was installed on the Noah. My computer runs Windows XP Pro SP3.

- I downloaded everything from ftp://creamware.de/software/Noah
- I installed the drivers in Noa_1.1/Driver/USB
- I Installed Noah Remote Software by running Noah_1.1/Setup.exe

- I ran the software and Set->Registry didn't show any keys.

- I then used Settings->Update->Update... to update the Noah to Firmware 1.4.23

- I then noticed that the Remote GUI for the Pro One and the AuxFX wouldn't load or show up in NRS anymore.

- After some research I decide to install all the devices from the nokeysOXEfiles_for_NOAH_PC directory. I placed them in the C:\Programe\Noah\App\oxe directory and started the NRS application. There were a few errors about not being able to copy some files but the new devices were apparently installed successfully. The sofwtare told me to use the Synchronizer to update preset, which I tried, but clicking "Synchronize..." didn't seem to do anything.

- Now I got the GUI for all the devices, including Pro One and the new synths (EDS8i, Profit 5, Prodyssey, Vectron), but the AuxFX slot was still empty. No sound from any of the new devices but Pro One fully works now.

- Interestingly, only Prodyssey shows a little red key symbol in the far right corner in the Synchronizer window.

- I then ran Settings->Update-Update... again to install the new devices on the Noah, which ran without problems. Still no sound or presets showing up on the Noah for the new devices.

My questions now:

- How do I fix the missing AuxFX GUI?

- How do I synchronize the preset to the Noah? How is the Synchronizer supposed to work?

- From what I already read on this forum I suppose I need to ask sonic-core or Ralph Dressel (why him?) for the keys for the EDS8i, the Profit 5, Prodyssey and Vectron, right? Do I need to provide anything besides the Serial No. from Set->Registry?

- Is it normal that Set->Registry doesn't show any keys? All the devices that were pre-installed work normally though.

- The level of the analog output seems rather low. Is this normal? I put the GAIN switch on the back to "High" already.

- The Noah ASIO driver doesn't work with my DAW software. So far I tried Tracktion 3 and Reaper 4. Tracktion lets me select the Noah ASIO driver but doesn't start palyback when it's enabled. Reaper crashes when I try to use the Noah ASIO driver! :( Anyone successfully using the Noah ASIO driver? I can use teh Noah as a sound output via DirectSound e.g. from VLC though.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chris
Creamware Noah EX
SpotlightKid

Re: New confused Noah owner with the usual questions

Post by SpotlightKid »

Hi again, still having the same /problems questions. Is anybody able to help me or give me some pointers?

Also, I discovered that the gui for over half of the insert effects won't show either in NRS. They can be edited normally through the hardware interface fortunately.

Luckily I got the templates for controlling the Noah via my BCR2000 working and adapted them to my taste, so I don't need the software too bad. It's a pity though, that the display on the Noah doesn't show parameter updates received via MIDI.

Chris
Creamware Noah EX
garyb

Post by garyb »

you've totally screwed the pooch now. :lol:

the Noah is discontinued and made by a company that is no longer in business(Creamware). the updated software only will work with the keyfile that you don't have. fortunately, you can write to Sonic|Core support and request the keyfile for your machine so that you can make it work again. you'll need to include the unit's serial number with your request.

there is nothing new for the Noah and no way to add anything to what it already has. S|C only keeps the records of keyfiles and provides the software as a kindness and service. the Noah is in no way supported.
SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid »

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I knew that the Noah is discontinued and Creamware doesn't exist anymore and that there will be no new plug-ins. I bought the Noah on the premise that if I get a digital clone of a Minimoog and a Pro One in a box, I'm happy. And that's what I have at the moment. Anything on top is just nice to have.

Like I said above, my Noah still works fine with all the plug-ins that came installed. Its just the software, which isn't working as it should and I dont't have any key. And of course it would be nice to be able to use the additional plug-ins that are available. Also, having no keys makes me a bit anxious about eventual total loss in case I ever need to recover from a backup.

Anyways, I'm gonna write to Sonic Core and/or Ralph Dressel and see what happens.

If anybody can offer any further advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

Chris
Creamware Noah EX
garyb

Post by garyb »

got ya-

when you said that you tried to upgrade the firmware, i thought that you were successful. if you had been, you'd have no sounds at all, your keys would have been gone.
SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid »

garyb wrote:when you said that you tried to upgrade the firmware, i thought that you were successful.
Well, I thought I was. When I press the "System" button on the Noah, the display shows the version number 1.4.23 wheras it showed 1.0 before. The software shows no keys but the Noah apparently still seems to have them. Maybe only the OS was updated but no instruments?

Chris
Creamware Noah EX
garyb

Post by garyb »

maybe. i haven't messed with a Noah in quite some time, but what you did usually makes the box completely impotent until you import the keyfile, if the process is implimented properly. perhaps it was only partially loaded, which might be the reason for your machines flakey behavior.

now that i think about it, i seem to remember that the Noah needs to be in a special update mode(explained in the readme) to properly update the firmware os....
Monotron

Post by Monotron »

Hiya,

I had a heart stopping moment last night when I was trying to get Profiit 5 / 12 (whatever the hell it is) to install. I managed to completely wipe the Noah of any OS and it just hung saying 'Loading Performance'! :o

I got it going again by using the excellent info and files below:

http://fso.net16.net/noahsoft.html

My Noah is up and running again now, though I still have no Profit 5 at all on the actual Noah (though the PC editor is avaialble) and Prodyssey has no PC editor, but IS available on the Noah (any advice gratefully received)!?

To recover from the OS crach, I held down the 'utility' key and used the flashbox.exe tool to intall the 'NoahDefaultEDSPProd.dmp' file (it won't show any progress update once it starts, so just WAIT - it takes a few minutes and tells you when it's finished).

You may not have to do this bit at all... As you've already got the new OS installed, just try overwriting the files as per the info and video first. All the files you need should be in the download pack he has uploaded.

Let us know if this method works out for you...
SpotlightKid

Post by SpotlightKid »

I already tried that method but it didn't help and only made matters worse. Anyway, the website claims that the archive is a backup from an installation of NRS 1.0 but the files in it state clearly that they are from a version 1.1 install (e.g. look into resources.ini). Something is clearly wrong there. So I restored my backup of my original NRS 1.1 installation.
Creamware Noah EX