Key Pressure messages to control NOAH's effects

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

natsuga

Key Pressure messages to control NOAH's effects

Post by natsuga »

I wonder if anyone use Key Pressure messages to control Noah's effects. I have a Roland Fc-200 midi foot controller which I use to send CC messages to Noah. I recently bought a midi message converter by Midi Solutions. I try to convert CC messages of Fc-200 into Key Pressure messages to control effects, but I can not figure out so far how to do it. Midi Monitor (a simple application showing midi signal flows) show that I am able to convert the signals but I do not know why NOAH is not responsive. Any idea?
HUROLURA

Re: Key Pressure messages to control NOAH's effects

Post by HUROLURA »

This should work.

I did it the template I made to remote control the stepseq with a dual BCR 2000 setup.

http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=21276

As there was some extra controller available on the BCR 2000 I decided to map the aux effects on them and it just worked fine.

One thing you have to check though is the MIDI channel used for Mixer/Aux in the NOAH MIDI Manager available from the NOAH Remote software.

Mine is set to MIDI channel 16 so I send the message on that channel.

I never tryed to do it on insert FX so far though but I guess if you use it as a slot insert, you have to use the Midi channel associated to the slot and if you use it as a Global Mixer insert you have to set the MIDI channel to the one used for the Mixer.

My 2 cents
natsuga

Post by natsuga »

Thank you. I have been trying as you described but haven't made it work. I know that Key Pressure messages consist of 3 bytes, the first one for the channel, the second for the key number and the third for the velocity. Regarding the information given in the Technical Reference (p. 65) "Key pressure messages pre-assigned as additional controller messages", I assume that we just need to transfer the midi channel and key number messages and Noah is pre-programmed to accept all velocities. So in the Technical Reference, in the charts of insert effects the 2 different numbers, divided by a slash in the KeyP column, stand for the key numbers for different slots and no velocity information is given there. Am I right? Can I ask you to make a small experience with one of the insert effects using your BCR 2000?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Does the PolyKey message work for the Aux FX on your side.

This would prove that the way you setup the message is OK.

I cannot make any attempt on my side for the moment as I lend my BCR to one of my friends and this would have to wait untill he brings them back to me.
natsuga

Post by natsuga »

I am able to control mixer's Mute, Mix and Rev./Del./Chor. Send functions with Key Pressure messages but it doesn't work for the insert effects. Has anyone succeeded?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

OK, so now I know I have to make a test.

No time for this now but I will keep this in mind and keep you informed.

One way to check this out could be to monitor message sent out when moving the aux control from the remote software ...
natsuga

Post by natsuga »

Hurolura, I appreciate your kind support. Cheers!
natsuga

Post by natsuga »

I have asked the same question to SonicCore and got this inspiring reply:

"Sorry but we don't support NOAH anymore.
The technical reference should give you the correct details."

There is nothing but numbers about Key Pressure messages in the technical reference and no other explication.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Yep, I wouldn't except they spend to much time on the NOAH as they do not support it (in french the sentence also mean they can't bear it which is maybe true ...).
Actually I prefer them to spend time on Scope 5, Solaris and XIte :wink:

I made a quick monitoring test:
- connected a midi monitor to the NOAH midi out.
- when changing preset, I can see a bunch of CC message coming out (which is normal as this is a trick I already use as a preset random generator with the plugiator: different CC mapping) just to check the monitoring process was OK
- tryed changing insert FX parameter value both from the Noah menu and from the remote software.

Result is nothing coming out. My conclusion is that it is not that obvious. Maybe this feature is just documented (as we do have MIDI mapping in the technical reference) but not implemented.
That would surprise me though.
I think there is something we didn't understand there.
But I have to spend more time (which I do not have now) to check if there is a trick to achieve what you want.
I will keep you informed of my investigation ...