NOAH EX PSU Specs

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

grolandais

NOAH EX PSU Specs

Post by grolandais »

Hi all, I need to change my Noah PSU and found it's a PSU of 300 W with quite unusual specs (I mean, unusual for a 300 Watt PSU). If I want the same specs I would need to buy a quite powerful PSU but I don't think it is necessary. I only found corsair 550W to be same specs as my own original from "linkworld".
I read that some people had "Seasonic" PSU ? mine was a "linkworld".

Can anyone who know tell me the original specs of a noah PSU ?
Like someone who can open his easily or who has worked on Noah may be (as an engineer i mean) ?
What are the numbers that really count on PSU specs ? I mean, may be some numbers can be disregarded..... (like, negative phase does not seem relevant, but I don't know).

Linkworld PSU specs
+3.3=18a
+5= 30a
-5=0.3a
+12=15A
-12=0.8a

If I look fpor PSUs with +5V at 30 amperes, then I can only find this in big PSUs.... regular ones like 450 Watte are more around 20 amperes....

so advises welcome.

or if someone changed the PSU successfully, just tell us what is the brand/model....

Thanks in advance.

PS: i want to put a 80+ PSU... so the less power, the better price :-)
astroman

Re: NOAH EX PSU Specs

Post by astroman »

your equation about the PSU is wrong:
you don't pay for the power figure, but for build quality ;)

to give you an idea: I used to run 2 Pulsar One (8 DSPs) in an Intel 815 System (Celeron 1G) reliably for at least 2 years (minimum) 10 hours per day from a 90 Watt PSU (according to it's label).
To torture it even more all fans ran at reduced speed, CPU rarely below 65 Celsius.
After it was relieved from it's DSP burden, the poor thing served for another 4 years as my wife's internet PC.
Btw it's a box 12x12x3 inches - don't ask how I managed to squeeze 2 Pulsars into that... :o :D

Creamware may have used a 'regular' PC PSU just for the fact that it was cheaper due to quantities out there - NOT because of the power specs.
I don't have a NOAH and never seen one from inside, but I assume there's some kind of CPU in there...
if you can tell about the other components (aside from DSPs) or attach a pic we certainly can work out the specs required.

cheers, Tom
grolandais

Post by grolandais »

Hello,

Thanks,
What you can read on the original psu is this:
+3.3=18a
+5= 30a (!!!!)
-5=0.3a
+12=15A
-12=0.8a

may be just the +12 is relevant ? it is an atx connection. it is noah, you just plug the atx motherboard plug to the noah motherboard. you don't use screens or other connections, the original psu has a lot of molex not in use. i think the noah ex is 8 or 10 dsp...
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, but is there any other device on the NOAH bord that looks like a CPU or something (probably with a heatspreader on top) or ist it just the DSPs ?
It certainly doesn't need 15A on the 12V Line (in PCs that's required by rotating drives for the startup process)
18A on 3.3V is for a big modern CPU...
Well, that reminds me...
I once bought a 100Watt (or so) 'PSU on an ATX connector' that was fed by a 12V Notebook supply.
Have to dig out the specs...

cheers, Tom
grolandais

Post by grolandais »

well, i don't really know.
You have the 8 or 10 dsps, + the lcd, + rom stuff where synths /presets/firmware are stored + card reader thing, i think that's it.... i read on a french forum that a good psu can solve problems on the lcd if it had some weird charcaters in names and things like that.... I don't have those problems on the lcd personnally.
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, a good powersupply is extremely important - if it disturbs the display so it will disturb the tone.
You'll only notice with a better one, but of course one doesn't go around shopping PSUs :D
As a sidenote: I have an old IBM Thinkpad A21p, which has an extremely well built PSU (even shuts itself off, if unused, very cool).
I use that for my A16 converter (16bit model) as the specs just match, temperature and noise floor dropped notably.
Got a 2nd one for the notebook then...

I don't know about your electronic skills, open switching PSU can be a serious harm for your health if touched the wrong way. They can kill you.
Just to mention, as I'd suggest to look on pages of industrial suppliers, and those offer PSUs without cover.
If you have the skills to handle that stuff, you may have more options.
Imho you're better off in the industrial domain, as ATX is still a standard with many servers and control devices.
You may start Google with ITX powersupply (that's those mini-pc stuff) and then refer to the industrial links, there should be plenty.
Imho you should get along with 100-150 Watt, if it's a quality device.

cheers, Tom
grolandais

Post by grolandais »

Thanks ,

I got myself a Corsair 550 W which is 80+ and one oof the cheapest too (less than 75€). It has specs very close to the original psu (Voltage and amperage).

It is much less hot than before, and iIt is much more silent than before. All works perfectly well, i've let it On for a couple of days already.

I've made a whole in the bottom of the noah, for the PSU fan. I've also made a whole at the top to get one molex out of the noah and use it on various stuff which is really cool (could have done that with tghe original one though). With a bit more budget i could have gotten a modular psu but they are more expensive and more powerful.

So now, it is not only cooled and silenced, but will also last decades.

:-)