changing the PSU for a silence Noah

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

bill3107

changing the PSU for a silence Noah

Post by bill3107 »

Well, i really want to curb the noise of the original psu (there is a small fan).

well my first atempt was unsuccessful : i have tried a Fortron zen 400w (the original one is just 250w) but the Noah does not start properly ... I read the features and i found out that we must check carefully the power for 12v, 3,3, 5v etc... Any suggestion ? I will try to find one that seems close to the original one but with a 120 cm fan (i am ready to cut the top of the case).

Any similar experience ???? thanks...
bill3107

Re: changing the PSU for a silence Noah

Post by bill3107 »

I have just ordered a silent PSU which seems (this is a 400w one) to fit the requirements of the Noah :

name : Coolmaster CX-400B 400W

Long life 120mm silent cooling fan Power Description Input Voltage 100V AC to 132V AC 200V AC to 264V AC
Output Voltage 3.3V DC 5V DC 12V DC 5V DC -12V DC -5V DC
Current 30A @ 3.3V DC - Maximum -
Output Current 40A @ 5V DC - Maximum -
Output Current 18A @ 12V DC - Maximum -
Output Current 0A to 2.5A @ 5V DC - StandbyMaximum -
Output Current 1A @ -12V DC - Maximum -
Output Current 1A @ -5V DC -

I will have to make a hole for the air flow from the 120 mm and i will post pictures of this new Noah when it is done... It should work !

Jo
The_Unknown

Post by The_Unknown »

...does it work ?
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

i finished yesterday (i will post a picture) ....

what you must know :

- it is very difficult to find a psu that meets the requirements (the seasonic psu inside the noah has specific features, like -5v, etc ...). Unfortunatly the psu I bought did not meet the technical requirements of the original psu :( . It seems the ebay auction gave bad information. Sooooo, i decided to open the original psu, cut the box and put the electronic board at the reverse. Hence i could put a 120mm fan at the top of the Noah. If you open the psu you will notice that the board is "looking" to the bottom of the Noah which means you can only put a fan under the board ... bad idea !!!

- I put a noiseblocker S1 120mm (i had to make a hole at the top of the Noah) but a Noctua could do the job too ... And you know what ? The Noah is perfectly silence !!!!!! I mean you do not hear it at all (without putting a pot, because the fan need a minimum voltage to run).

Sum up : you cannot go wrong !!!!! My Noah Ex sounds amazing and it is now really really quiet !!!!!
:D
The_Unknown

Post by The_Unknown »

...and I thought you could choose every standard PSU...so I hope my one will never die...

Pictures would be nice. Thanks.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

actually, the psu is a normal computer psu but current PSUs are different soemtimes. I tried with one and the Noah started but could not load devices... i mean that was weird. I seems that you must be as close as possible to the requirements written in the original PSU (seasonic here). Whatever the case, you can always repair a PSU if soemthing does not work and try another psu is easy too once the Noah is open. So do not worry ... I found out that the Noah does not get hot at all so you just need to put a fan that sucks air and this air has to go through the PSU components period. It works really great and the Noah is not hot AT ALL ...
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

Image[/img]

:D :D :D :D :D
The_Unknown

Post by The_Unknown »

Thanx !!!
garyb

Post by garyb »

interesting. i had an old atx supply laying around and i just popped it in and it worked great. i guess i was lucky...