Noah : on windows but ... on a macintel

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

bill3107

Noah : on windows but ... on a macintel

Post by bill3107 »

My question is very simple (as i can get a Noah at a cheap price) :

I have a macbook pro (macintel) and i use it for windows :o (because of samplitude/ sequoia) and OSX. Do you think i can use the Noah on both platforms or not ? Let's suppose the software cannot be installed, is it possible to use the Noah as a stand alone synth (load presets, modify sounds...). Let's go straight to the point : can the Naoh be used alone (as it is not supported anymore i just want to imagine its future in my setup).

Thanks !
spacef

Re: Noah : on windows but ... on a macintel

Post by spacef »

it can be used standalone
but i think it also runs fine on OSX :-)
try install the software without a noah (not sure it works, but may be...)

edit: werll in fact i am not sure anymore about osx, what does the manual says ?
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

The Noah was the first creamware device to support Mac OS X. I have the NOAH but no Mac OS X here ...
It looks like you miss the CW sound or ?

The NOAH CAN be used standalone as any other old MIDI synth. The USB interface is just comfortable for managing preset bank and getting the full front panel of the different plug. Personnaly, I am using a BCR 2000 (with different templates dedicated to the differents plugs to remote control the plugs.

CheerZ
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

:D Yes Huro i am missing CW sound in my personal home studio ... Let say the good price of the unit (i can get one for 500 euros) is very tempting although i know there are some issues dependinf on the computer and of course there is "no future" for this product.

Huro (i will try to call you this week-end, i hope :roll: ), do you think it is possible to control the Noah with a BCFsomething (or with my waldorf Q) but without a computer ? I ahve never done that in my life (i am rather used to acoustic stuff..). Thanks.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Yes Noah can be controlled by midi controllers - the cc numbers are fixed - it comes with a book that has the tables.

Midi in/out/through, audio 2 in/10 out, wordclock & usb.

I've used it live in a few shows & bands, controlled by some Roland midi bass pedals, while playing acoustic instruments. Trigger stepseqs, vocode, whatever. Great machine.
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

ok that's great Wayne ! As i already have a Waldorf Q (keyboard) and more than 50 knobs :D what am i supposed to do if i want the cutoff knob (or envelop ones) to control th cutoff (or envelop) of the Prodyssey and so forth... YOu know what i mean ? If i connect my waldrof to the Noah, will it react immediatly (and logically) if i turn some of the most usual knobs (cutoff , ADSR are good examples of that) ? sorry for that stupid question :roll:

Whatever teh case, i have already gave my green hand and purchased the Noah EX... So you will see me on that forum later guys :wink:
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

No I don't think you will get what you expect:
- the Q controllers have a fixed CC mapping
Q cutoff pot is mapped to midi CC 69 for filter 1 and midi CC 80 for filter 2
- the NOAH also have a fixed CC mapping
Lightwave cutoff is mapped to midi CC 48 for Vcf 1 and midi CC 57 for Vcf 2
Minimax cutoff is mapped to midi CC 41
ProOne cutoff is mapped to midi CC 33
Vectron Player cutoff is mapped to midi CC 3
Prodyssey cutoff is mapped to midi CC 42
Pro12 cutoff is mapped to midi CC 40

So you cannot directly use the Q to control the NOAH with a filter to filter mapping. This can be achieved with other midi controller (I made some templates to cntrol the NOAH plug from a BCR 2000 or an X-Station and this work great without any computer, expect for downloading once the templates to the controllers.)

You can try to phone me this week-end and we can discuss this further ... in french :D

CheerZ
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

One more thing.
The best control surface I ever tried to remote control a NOAH Ex Minimax is ... a Minimax ASB
The best control surface I ever tried to remote control a NOAH Ex Pro12 is ... a Pro12 ASB

That is just the way I am doing it NOAH, keeping the BCR 2000 for the other plugs.

A few "bugs" (?) to mention:
- the EDS8i for NOAH has no CC mapping so it cannot be remote controlled
- the wave selection CC mapping for the LightWave does not work (all other parameters are OK)

CheerZ
sharc

Post by sharc »

If you've got the MIDI from the Waldorf connected to your macbook, you could always use a software based cc mapper to alter the cc's to match the various synths on Noah. There's plenty of software which can do this even on Scope, although that's probably not much use on the macbook.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Any example of such softwares Sharc ? I would be interested to remap an ASB to make it control a Plugiator.
And I think it would also be interesting for Bill3107 ...

CheerZ
sharc

Post by sharc »

Most decent sequencer apps have midi cc remapping in one form or another.

As for standalone apps:

On OSX midipipe looks like it's worth a go.

On Windows give MIDI-OX a try

Both of these should be more capable than anything you'll find on Scope.
HUROLURA

Post by HUROLURA »

Thanks,

Funny I already have MIDI-OX installed on my PC but I used it to spy midi CC message to build up the CC map of the Vectron beta for NOAH... but did not notice it could be used for such things.

CheerZ
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

that's very intersting sharc ... using the knobs of my Q would be so great ! I am waiting for my new Noah now :wink:
gustav

Post by gustav »

this comes up the right time !
I try to map controller bcf2000 to noah lightwave
but I have some difficulties to make it work :

first try without midi ox and without mapping :
I'm moving on BCF2000 preset 1, my first fader Ctrl 51
But on the Noah lightwave its the AMP Attack that moves
in the technical reference AmpEnv Attack is Ctrl 81

second try with midi ox and with mapping :

on preset 1, my first fader is Ctrl 51 - I can see it in midi ox
I define a mapping :
INPUT : channel 1, Ctrl, min = 51
OUTPUT : channel 1, Ctrl, min = 48
I clicked on TURN MAP ON
But on the Noah lightwave its allways the AMP Attack that moves

What goes wrong ?
sharc

Post by sharc »

Unfortunately I don't have my Noah running at the moment Gustav as it's needing a new PSU (at least I hope that's what's up :roll:) so I can't check the cc settings for lightwave.

I would guess your best bet with BCF <-> Noah would be to create specific presets on the BCF for each Noah device. I say this because it will be the easiest to work with in terms of parameter feedback, although I suppose the MIDI-OX mapping method could give you the option of controlling all the Noah devices from one preset.

Horalura has done BCR presets for most of the Noah devices, although I don't see one for Lightwave. The BCR presets could be converted quite easily for the BCF using an editor like BC Manager.

As for the problem you're having with the MIDI-OX mapping - It sounds like you need to check your MIDI routings. Make sure the Noah is receiving MIDI from MIDI-OX (ie. BCF -> MIDI-OX -> Noah)
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Nic Fit was suggested but someone, as it is a simple device for the sequencer http://asseca.com/nicfit/cc2cc.html. With that one you can thus register the knob movements ... I will try it as soon as i have my Noah... :wink:
sharc

Post by sharc »

That one looks like it will be easy to use Bill ...Won't be able to map to the KeyP parameters though.

I should have said that If you want to record the knob movements in your sequencer using MIDI-OX or similar you should go Controller -> MIDI-OX -> Sequencer -> Noah
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

ok sharc, thanks.... as soon as i get my Noah i will try your tip for sure (my Q is the best controller i can find :wink: ...)