Status of the Vectron

Discuss the Creamware Noah

Moderators: valis, garyb

Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

It may seem silly to announce a thread on Vectron this short after the release of the Profit12, but then, the recent release creates new anticipation to the future of the instrument.

Half a year ago, I downloaded the Vectron plugin from the CW ftp site, and have recently spent some hours trying to find out how complete it is. As far as I can see, much is already there, but the waveimport is not yet fully implemented. I can load a wav file which will be graphically displayed, and I can make selections of it, but I can't use the selection as an oscillator or part of a sound. The wav import tool only seems to be working graphically.

The wave shaper tool seems to be working fine. I can manipulate waves, and reshape it using the mouse.

Has anyone else had more success with the wave import?

Neb
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Hi there,
yes I remember being able to sample my voice (In Logic Audio) and using it as a wave source in the Vectron. It was a few months ago and I remember that the working seemed to bit a bit buggy and I maybe had a crash or two. But it worked and it didn't took me more than an hour or so to do it. So the stability was not THAT bad.

I would advise to work step by step and save as frequently as possible.

Regards,
Marc.
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

We've had Octave Cat waveforms loaded & running fine in it. Sounded great too :grin:
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

<speculation>
Maybe CW is working on a complete revision of the Noah Software?? They could call it v2.0, include OS X Intel and Linux support, bundle the Vectron plugin and integrate the revamped UI graphics from the ASB editors.</speculation>
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

Did you use the Vectron Wave Extractor when you managet to use your own waves? I still can't make it work. Could you please explain how to go about to sucessfully import samples / waves?

Neb
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

Yes, I remember useing the Wave Extractor herefore. I should redo it step by step to provide a short tutorial (Not sure when I would find the time though). I also think to remember that a few functions did not work (reliably).

Maybe some basics to get right: use monophonic material, "pre-select" roughly the part of the wave you are going to use (It can still be a few hundred cycles... but there is no use to manipulate huge files with the Vectron), normalize the material before loading the sample in Vectron. At least these are steps you won't have to redo if Vectron happens to crash...

Good luck,

Marc.
AzureFeast

Post by AzureFeast »

I found the time to do a quick try of the Vectron's Wave Create. Here is the step by step approach:

- Prepare a sample (mono, short, normalized)
- Select the Wave Create mode
- Open the Wave extractor
- Load the sample in the extractor. It should now appear in the Wave Extractor window.
- Zoom into the section that interests you (Right click & drag)
- Select an intial import block (Alt & click anywhere).The selected wave portion, corresponding to the block size parameter, should now appear in the Vectron wave window.
- Adjust the selected section as desired (position and block size). The Vectron wave window is immediately updated.
- Once you are happy with your wave, click in preset and save the wave in a free (wave) preset slot.
- Now you can use that new wave in your Vectron preset.

What I cannot get working is the Direct Audition of the wave while selecting. (And that’s a pity because that would be the nicest tool of all.) That said it makes sense...after all the selection and edition is done on the PC. It would probably be a serious challenge to transfer these data in real-time to the Noah hardware so that we could hear it.

I assume that it could also be the reason why Creamware did not release the Vectron. The absence of the Direct Audition is a serious limitation compared to what Vectron must be on the normal Scope platform. That said even without that functionality it is still useable and offers a lot of unique features.

Definitely worth a try...

Hope it helps,

Marc
Nebukadneser

Post by Nebukadneser »

It worked! Thank you for your help!

In fact, by setting one of the oscillators to external, I could clearly hear timbre changes as i moved the "selector" in the wave extract tool.

Also, on direct audition, I could hear the changes as i slid the selector.

Great!

Neb

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nebukadneser on 2006-05-11 02:59 ]</font>
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Try just to use single waveform cycles for the best conventional results. Just one cycle of a square or sine is enough :smile: