Ableton + XTC mode (not working)

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

Ableton + XTC mode (not working)

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm trying to get XTC mode working with Ableton Live. Even though I see the SCOPE dir in my VST folder (as installed by SCOPE), when I open Ableton, the only VSTs available is the Basic > VZRecording plugin. I copied over the Additionals/VSTClock plugin, and I can see that too. In the directory structure, I see all the synths, and all the effects (.dlls). But Ableton doesn't recognize them. I've rescanned VST folder, but still no luck. I have Automap from Novation, and used it to generate a wrapper for each .dll, but still, Ableton doesn't see them.

I'm running XITE-1 SCOPE 5.1 release. I open SCOPE, enabled XTC mode, saved the project, and restart SCOPE. Then I open Ableton.

The manual says I need to start the sequencer from the Live Bar, but I don't see how that's possible. Am I doing something wrong, or ?

Thanks for anyone that can help.
the19thbear

Re: Ableton + XTC mode (not working)

Post by the19thbear »

scope cant run at the same time as your xtc daw.
you enable xtc mode, then quit scope and start your daw. dont run both at the same time :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Thanks for the suggestion (even if the manual is wack). Maybe it's the XITE version, I don't know. Same thing without SCOPE running, none of the other synths and effects show up as plugins.

I know there's only supposed to be 3 or so .dlls, just renamed to match the SCOPE device (and I can see they are all 12KB or so). So it's not like one of them is corrupt...Live just isn't picking upon them. I reinstalled to make sure...same thing.

Since Ableton reports the version that the plug conforms to, the VZRecording shows up as "VST", while the ScopeVSTClock_VSTPlug is "VST 2.4".
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

First we need to make sure xtc mode is working:
Can you run live in xtc mode and playback/record Sound in xtc mode?
(we Will try xtc effects later. I just need to make sure the basics are working)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Not sure what you mean by running Live in XTC mode. I run Live, without scope running. Live complains there's no audio available.

What are the steps to start XTC mode? The manual hints at something,but it's not clear what that is.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

Normally running any daw without having scope running would be xtc mode.. But since live complaints about no audio driver, something is wrong.
It might be a live thing.. I would suggest downloading reaper from reaper.fm and running it(or any other vst host if you allready have another) and see if you get the same error message.

Also: go to your scope dir. And somewhere in the underlying folders, locate the file: xtcproject.Pro. Open it and post a screenshot of it.

This is the project your daw will open and use as the scope configuration when xtc mode is running.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Not really worth a picture, it contains 4 modules - ASIO 32 source (2 outs) -> MERGE -> ASIO 32 Dest (2 outs), and a DirectPlayMixerContainer (2 outs, unconnected).

I'll try a different host tonight.

Also, when I close scope, and open Live, in my windows process/task list, there is nothing related to scope running.

Thanks for your help in debugging this!
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

no problem:)
I seem to recall others having problems with live and XTC mode here on planetz.. maybe do a search?

I have scope 5.0 on a PCI card running XTC mode and it rocks!

By the way - when you installed scope, you checked the "enable xtc/vstim mode", right?

And when you try another daw, you shoulndt be in doubt if its working - when the daw starts up you should get a XTC logo splash screen that will go away again once loaded. So no need to see if any hidden scope stuff is running.

The first time you run the daw, you might not get the xtc screen though.. then you need to go under preferences (or whatever) and select asio scope driver and refresh or restart, and then you should get it.

Happy hunting:)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Ok, after uninstalling everything, and reinstalling, I can get XTC mode working (such that without SCOPE running, Live can get access to ASIO I/O, and I can hear audio output from the XITE-1.

Reaper saw the instruments, and I could place one of the synths, although I didn't really start sending it a MIDI sequence. The fact it was detected and useable was good information.

I'll go through the forum now, or start knocking on the doors of S|C and Ableton for the rest.

Thanks for the time/effort to get me going! Much appreciated Mr. Bear.
jksuperstar

Re: Ableton + XTC mode (now working!!)

Post by jksuperstar »

After some poking (and looking into the SCOPE/App/bin/ScopeVST.cfg file) I saw some references to a DevicesXTC directory, which wasn't created during any of my installs.

So I copied the Devices directory into DevicesXTC, and now Ableton can recognize them, and most of the things I tried work (U007 and MINIMAX being the important ones). Too bad there's no VST control, only MIDI. Still, it's good to see the plugins working with MIDI input and Audio output.
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

hmmm in reaper i can control alot of the functions via normal automation.. maybe its a live problem?
again... i use a pci card, not xite.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I'm still hashing through this. Now that I think about it, I may have used the Novation Automap wrapped version of the plugins, but wasn't using the Novation controller. That's great to know that VST automation *should* work!
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

Well vst automation works in ableton.
When you load a synth, then rightclick a knob like filtercutoff or someting and give it a controllernumber (just like in sfp). Then click on configure (after expanding the device (below in ableton)) in the abletondevicewindow. When "configure" is clicked (it lights up green), move the parameter on your scope synth and you see the fader appear in ableton's configure window with the name of the filtercutoff.

The problem I have with ableton (didn't try other daw's), is that when I'm busy making music, suddenly ableton dissapears without a message. I have to kill the process, otherwise I can't start ableton again. But that's another story... I will dig out the xtc-topics for more info...
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

After some reading here I found out why ableton is crashing.. it's because of the multicore processor... Now ableton is using a single core and it works fine..
No more crashes...
Thanx PlanetZ :)
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Does it crash w/ multicore only when also running XTC? I've used Ableton for a longtime with multicore enabled and it never crashed. But I have had some instability with XTC also running, and I'll try disabling multicore to see if it helps.
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

In my case, ableton only crashes in xtc-mode when using more than one core.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Oh, thanks for the tip about assigning MIDI first, then looking to do automation in Live. That's working great now.

After some reinstalls due to MIDI port issues, things seem stable...[knock on wood]
Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

Got the same problem. Using Pulsar 2, Scope 5.1 x64, Ableton sees only VZRecording plugin, when it launches i don't see splash screen, that i saw when i used scope 4.5. So my cset.ini looks like (Vst is my folder for all vsts' i use)

[SEQPATH]
Path1=c:\Program Files (x86)\Vst/SCOPE PCI/

[ASIO]
XTCMode=1
application=C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/XTC.pro
Pluginwrapper1=C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/vstsynthplugin.mdl
Pluginwrapper2=C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/vstplugin.mdl
Pluginwrapper3=C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/vstplugin.mdl
Pluginwrapper4=C:\Program Files\SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/vsthostplugin.mdl

And my ScopeVST.cfg looks like

ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Delay/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Distortion/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Dynamic/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/EQ/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Filter/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Mastering/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Modulation/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Chorus/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Flanger/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Level/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Phaser/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Mono/Reverb/*.dev

ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Delay/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Distortion/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Dynamic/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/EQ/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Filter/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Mastering/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Chorus/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Flanger/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Level/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Phaser/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/DevicesXTC/Effects/Stereo/Reverb/*.dev

ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Delay/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Distortion/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Dynamic/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/EQ/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Filter/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Mastering/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Modulation/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Chorus/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Flanger/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Level/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Modulation/Phaser/*.dev
ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Mono/Reverb/*.dev

ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Delay/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Distortion/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Dynamic/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/EQ/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Filter/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Mastering/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Chorus/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Flanger/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Level/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Modulation/Phaser/*.dev
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Effects/Stereo/Reverb/*.dev

ScopeSynth C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Synths/*.dev
ScopeSynth C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Plug-Ins/*.*

ScopeMono C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Plug-Ins/*.*
ScopeStereo C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/Devices/Plug-Ins/*.*

Every subfolder with dlls in c:\Program Files (x86)\Vst/SCOPE PCI/ contains xtc.ini:

[SCOPE]
Application=C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/App/XTCApp/XTC.pro
Bin=C:/Program Files/SCOPE PCI/App/Bin
Config=XTC-Config
Version=v5.1.2709-x64

Upd: Just reinstal Ableton lauched *.exe as administrator and all works fine now :) But 2 effects e-reflector and MasterVerb launch window with message "the preset file doesn't correspond to this device" when ableton scaned all vsts and when trying to add them in project.
When i run scope and try to play music via player i got the window "Xtc plug-ins are not available while another scope application is running". It's information one i think, but how to off this annoying feature :D
A neutron walks into a bar and asks, "How much for a drink?" The bartender says, "For you, no charge."
next to nothing

Post by next to nothing »

"the preset file doesn't correspond to this device"
-Re-save the presetfile and it should be ok.

"Xtc plug-ins are not available while another scope application is running"
-This information will always appear as long as you have the "enable xrc-mode" ticked and start scope in normal mode.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Sheldon

Post by Sheldon »

next to nothing wrote:"the preset file doesn't correspond to this device"
-Re-save the presetfile and it should be ok.

"Xtc plug-ins are not available while another scope application is running"
-This information will always appear as long as you have the "enable xrc-mode" ticked and start scope in normal mode.

I re-saved it, but no effects. Window pops up every time i load masterverb. I clicl file then save. Time of the file MasterVerb.pre
has changed. May be i did something wrong?
A neutron walks into a bar and asks, "How much for a drink?" The bartender says, "For you, no charge."