STM 4896 in XTC-Mode WORKS!

Discuss Scope XTC mode.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dorteb

STM 4896 in XTC-Mode WORKS!

Post by dorteb »

Perhaps someone found it out before, but for me it was the first time getting it to work.

I tried with the other mixer-models too, but with 4896 it worked the best.

1. Make a copy of your STM 4896.dev in your devices-folder and rename it to STM 4896-XTC.mdl

2. Load this new ...mdl into your XTCProject.pro.

3. The Mixer-Window has to be open when saving the project.

4. Close SFP and open your Sequencer in XTC-Mode.
You will get an error-message that the preset-list is not 100% compatible....
Klick yes. After saving the preset-list new this message disappeared.
That's it

5. You can use everything in the mixer and make presets for your projects.
You can even do routing-issues. :o

Limitation: In my case optimaster did not load as an insert. After trying it, i had to restart the program. All other plugins that i used worked fine as inserts in the mixer.
Workaround: First load optimaster as XTC instrument in Cubase, then you can load it in the STM-mixer too.
Last edited by dorteb on Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

Cool! Thanks for the tip :D
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
voidar

Post by voidar »

Cool. I never think I ventured that far once I figured the 2448 failed to load.
hubird

Post by hubird »

worth a tipps 'n tricks post :-)
tripstation

Post by tripstation »

Cool,
I got this to work but, it doesn't save my mixer settings.
Any work around for this.
regards,
James
andivax

Post by andivax »

guys!
why you use 2496 in your host in XTC mode?
how can you route asio track to XTC mixer?
thanks in advance!
voidar

Post by voidar »

I guess it's for people who want to lock themselves to a particular setup (like normal audio cards).

You set up your routing in SFP, save and close. Then run a ASIO-host in XTC-mode.

If oyu want to save your mixer settings I guess you have to use the patch-system.
FrancisHarmany

Post by FrancisHarmany »

nice :)
voidar

Post by voidar »

This is working great!

I just discovered you can create a XTCproject without really hooking anything up to the mixer. All the routing can be done inside the mixer itself, dynamically :P.

I can't get to hook up more than one ASIO-source to any of the mixer inputs though, like you could route in SFP-mode.
Side-chaining doesn't seem to work, like ti does when loading XTC-plugins.

Only thing you need to hook up is controllroom out to your monitors.
Eventually you hook up the DirectPlayMixContainter there too.
the19thbear

COOL

Post by the19thbear »

is it possible to apply scope xtc fx and monitor your inputs with the fx on, WITH NO LATENCY?( i guess you would do this by routing it through the direct player)
and even record the "proccesed" tracks? ( putting scope xtc fx on my input channels and recording that...)

this almost sounds too good to be true! , one mixer for everything! both for monitoring my inputs with scope fx on, and listening to my playedback tracks with scope fx and vst fx on!

WHOAH!
voidar

Post by voidar »

Whatever FX you load before the ASIO-destination will be "latency free" to the degree of the ULLI-setting.

You can route your hardware input to the mixer while in XTC mode, apply an effect and then route the direct out of the mixer to the ASIO-dest, recording the channel.

However, this disrupts the original routing of your XTC-project.

It would be great if someone could make a router-plugin for this kind of task.

However, for monitoring effects only and recording dry you can apply the effect in the master, or in a buss.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Thank you all! I am now an xtc convert 8) For tracking anyway :D
hubird

Post by hubird »

deserter!

edit:
let me add a ;-) , I could be misunderstood after these days where I didn't let go (or very let go if you want ;-)

now that I'm here:
I really prefer to be here on planetz as a bar-at-the-corner visitor, in fact it's what I was after (to get back).
I'm really good friends with Shroomz (ask him), and I easily could get to be that with E. and O. when they would change heart and mind.
Believe it or not, it's true :-)

I don't expect that to be possible in this case, and I'm telling you just to be completely honest and to emphasize that I was not sliming suddenly.

cheers.
I toast on the New Creamware, let's enjoy each other, I really want :-)
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Hubird you don't really have to explain yourself. Your a pasionate guy like most of us here. Thats what makes this forum a great place to hang out, even if tempers do fray occasionally :lol:

Anyway back on topic :wink:
I had been reading about xtc for some time here and decided a few months ago to give it a try. I was fairly impressed with the work flow but felt it really fell short because it was without a decent mixer...untill now!
The flexibilty in from the mixer was all that was needed to really set it off for me. My workflow has increased majorly because of this and all of the other contributions from the wonderful members on this forum. So again big thanks to all
8)

There are a few plugs that I haven't managed to get working, the most notable being SpaceF's BIosc, DXD and >>>>Echo35<<<<
I am still running SFP for sound design and mods.
pollux

Re: STM 4896 in XTC-Mode WORKS!

Post by pollux »

Hi,

I'm very interested on this thread since up to now I've been "old school" :D

If I understood correctly, setting up a mixer in XTC allows to have a routing like this (for example)?

host channels 1-8 -> VST inserts 1-8 -> ASIO src 1-16 -> SCOPE mixer channels 1-8 -> mixer inserts -> mixer faders -> ASIO dst 1-16 -> host faders -> host busses -> host bus inserts -> host master -> host master inserts -> host master fader -> host summing

and in parallel use the SCOPE mixer's busses and master channel, and send it to one SCOPE output?
You set up your routing in SFP, save and close. Then run a ASIO-host in XTC-mode.
Where does the ASIO host in XTC mode should be run?

Could anyone please post an XTC project and a Reaper project to illustrate how this works? I'm incredibly curious now :D

Cheers!

Raul
voidar

Post by voidar »

Ok,

Open your XTCproject.pro in the "Scope/App/XTCApp/" folder.

In your situation you must layout the project like my picture examplifies.

Two important things though (!).

1. The mixer you use in the project must have a .MDL file extension, not the usual .DEV extension.
To do this, create a new folder (i.e. "/XTC/") under "Scope/Devices/". Copy the mixer of choice (i.e. 2448) from "Scope/Devices/Mixer/" into your new folder. Rename the file extension of the copied mixer (i.e. "STM 2448.mdl").
In the routing window of the project there should now be a XTC folder. Use the mixer in there.

2. If you would want to manipulate the mixer (which you probably would want to do), the mixer panels must be open when you save the XTCproject.pro.

Now, try if you get that working.
Attachments
XTCexample.jpg
XTCexample.jpg (188.44 KiB) Viewed 15926 times
goaFromLivingRoom

Post by goaFromLivingRoom »

Hey voidar,

thank you for this great setup. Unfortunately i cannot see what you connected to CLK of ASIO Dest. Why did you connect this CLK of ASIO. Until know i never used this connection. Is this connection necessary in all XTC projects?
MB Asus P5K-E, 1 x Scope 1 x Pulsar 1 x Elektra: Scope is the host, Winxp Prof, BCF2000
voidar

Post by voidar »

That's the Syncplate source. It's not necessary, but I had my A16U set as master via wordclock, so I figured it might be usefull.
It's only used if you need sample accurate clocking with external hardware. Google ASIO2 Sync.
microraver

Post by microraver »

Hi,

Great info ,thx for this one i'm gonna try it !

P.L.U.R
Cubase 5,Scope v5.1 XTC,2xScope Project+2x A16 Ultra+PoCo 6000(CL1B+Virus)+UAD2-QUAD(Comp,Rev,EQ)+plugiator Full.Mackie Control+Ext.ASUS P5WDH,CPU Q6600@3GHZ,6GB RAM,2xPCIe Graphics,4 Display's.Win 7 32 & 64bit.
http://soundcloud.com/dominium
WAUXAR

Post by WAUXAR »

Hello...
Since yesterday I'm trying to get the stm mixers to work in XTC-mode. I connected it just the way like Voidar's example.
It seems to work, but one thing I don't understand; when adding synths in my DAW (Ableton 8 ), I hear them all playing, but the sound of all synths only goes thru mixer input 1 and 2 (stereo).
What is it I do wrong ?