Damn - not another Windoze

Please remember the terms of your membership agreement.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dante

Damn - not another Windoze

Post by dante »

Just when I thought Win10 was gonna update itself forever.....
Win 11
Win 11
windows-11-leak-1-720x720.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
spacef

Re: Damn - not another Windoze

Post by spacef »

apparently it will be free to upgrade for win 7/8.1/10
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
brookesy

Post by brookesy »

Looking at your details, Mehdi. I can see that you joined the forum, 20 years ago tomorrow, so congratulations and Happy Anniversary.

As far as Windows 11 is concerned, people's computers don't seem to be meeting the minimum requirements. Those that have tried the one floating around the net, that is.
garyb

Post by garyb »

what a typical waste of time and energy.
valis

Post by valis »

In other news, Win11 is entirely runtime compiled from vbscript and C# and yet still completely locked off from the end using customizing it in any unblessed manner. The fact that all of our forthcoming OSes (regardless of platform) are also looking to do some kind of 'fusion' from all of our personal/mobile and smart/home devices should be amazing for those who have no rough edges to expose to our psychometric technolords. And in the end, the tech profits need to be sustained now that we're passing through the originally projected moore's law window, so that the singularity can be achieved.
dante

Post by dante »

As Intel struggle at the edge of 10nm fabrication I note recent Sharc devices at 28nm. Would that mean Sharc DSP might have more steam after Native hits Moore's brickwall first ?

That would be cool - a 'DSP Renaissance' after 2025 8)

:lol:
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

It's all just paving the way for biometric implants. Judging from the trends of the general public to willingly expose their entire persona to mega corporations and the world, we should achieve that ultimate singularity in a relatively short period of time.
garyb

Post by garyb »

this ^^^

and then stupid music software won't be important anyway...
spacef

Post by spacef »

music software is subversive. delete all vstis :-o :-)

it"s a pity that technolgies are used in such a way... mainly because invetsors need return on each dollar invested, so even something good becomes a money machine.

But I'd like to get paid for all the good vibes. In the future (2100 or further) we will be paid for doing yoga and meditation, or holding the door for that old lady or helping that blind man cross the street.
I see this is the ultimate solution for a peaceful society. , ie, everyone can be recognized for its worth, and this worth is not only productivity in a job that you hate.... and in some problematic suburbs, it could help peace and getting away from mobsters.

But to achieve this, you need something that is pretty invasive by nowadays standards...

In France they just passed a law that is nothing less than digital surveillance and the right to request operators to spy on you (which they could refuse until now). A big slap in the face of GDPR and France as the "mother of human rights" (which it has never been in my optinion, that's just brainwashing the french masses). But "not behaving" can(t have consequences, contrary to what they do right now in china where you get points to allow/forbid you to do this and that (like in that episode of black-mirror where the girld looses all her points and is rejected by "society"...).

I am happy to have known a digital-free world, and the internet before the venture capitalist came and perverted everything....
Sending a post card in summer ensured me a girlfriend in september... can't say the same about emails, likes, and sms.... technology is power, but we are not empowered...what's wrong ??

anyway... everything is ying and yang... stay happy :-) (that's an effort)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

Free upgrade.

This tells you all you need to know.

People like free stuff. M$oft knows this.
10 was free, it was suppose to be the last Windows needed.

We have no choice as we relinquish our privacy for convenience.

7/11 stores rake in big bucks as they too are convenient…
spacef

Post by spacef »

brookesy wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:59 am Looking at your details, Mehdi. I can see that you joined the forum, 20 years ago tomorrow, so congratulations and Happy Anniversary.
I feel like I did not grow up much since I registered :-)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website
dawman

Post by dawman »

M$oft claims Intel’s Alder Lake will get a 7% boost in performance from Window$ 11.

This means AMD will get 15%… :D

Can’t wait to see AMD release some WOKE advertisements so M$oft will “share” even more secrets.
dante

Post by dante »

I'm in a sweet spot with processor speeds all round right now. On DAW, creativity is the only bottleneck so no excuses to do with tech. When contracting work is on a $$ per hour basis faster local SQL database doesn't increase profit :lol:
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Hopefully Windows 11 gets away from forced updates. But i have a feeling it will be even more intrusive and customer-unfriendly. Very dark and unprofessional path!
valis

Post by valis »

In this era, Windows on the enterprise level has a fair amount of flexibility as far as IT is concerned. Pro versions still allow me to set policy profiles and a lot more control over updates etc than the home versions. I don't necessary disagree with your point, though MS is claiming they will also improve the way forced updates work for home users.

To update the compatibility side of the discussion:

MS's documentation has now removed TPM 1.2 via BIOS as a compatible form of TPM, and states that you'll need an onboard full TPM implementation (rather than a "TPM Compatible" bios setting under whatever acronym the maker gives it) or to add a TPM module to your motherboard if you have a header for it.

I really do think this is a case of having a machine around with specific support for newer workflows that need it, while not worrying about it for anything else you do that already works. I do enough streaming related activities that anything I want to consider 'commercially secure' will likely eventually need Win11, but for those workflows the lowest power mobile chipsets actually tend to come first. Those devices scale very poorly with heavy workloads, but are a great way to get access to functionality without replacing a productive daw (or workstation etc) without all the hassle.

And again, eyeballing the open software/hardware community with (theoretically) vetted or at least vet-able designs is probably going to become more important for those who care. RiscV looks interest, and there are very well known ARM devices that lack the superscalar branch prediction & memory snooping holes that x86 designs seem to be increasingly vulnerable to (whether that's by design or just poor design...)
valis

Post by valis »

fra77x2

Post by fra77x2 »

This is cool. I wonder how difficult is to have Scope compiled for ARM. I think raspherry Pi supports PCIe. This will make a fanless solution that I am looking for.